Xs in the ice??

Captain Tito

Yah I know most Pirates tended to pillage and plunder in warmer climates. But were there any who spent good portions of time raiding during the cold of winter? Were there any who stayed or sailed in colder areas during winters? B)

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Something I've always wondered - exactly when did New England merchants begin shipping ice to the West Indies? If it occurred during the Golden Age, I wonder if pirates ever raided a ship expecting rum, sugar, slaves or molasses and got a hold full of ice instead. And I wonder what they did with it. After all, it must have been a priceless commodity in the southern climes...but I suspect this industry did not come around in time for the pirates to experience it.

Here in Maine they used to carve massive chunks of it out of lakes, haul them on horse to icehouses where they were stored in sawdust to insulate them from melting. Then they were loaded on ships and shipped south.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Though not officially called pirates, what about the Vikings? Rape, pilliage and burn sounds like a pirate motto. I don't know if they attacked much shipping, but definitely towns, and they were seafaring types. Also, I seem to remember a Viking woman who is considered one of the known female pirates, though it may have been more of a folk story than actual history. Before the Navy was great, I'm sure there was piracy around England, which could not be considered a very warm climate. Also, in Boston and New York, there were pirate havens. Go there in the winter and tell me it's a warm climate! Heck, Captain Kidd sailed to Block Island in part of his evasion of authorities. I'm sure there's been piracy almost anywhere there's a coastline and a population center. If you're talking about the extreme latitudes, I think that the scarcity of prey would prevent pirates from bothering.

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Black Bart Roberts raided in Newfoundland. I've never been there, but seeing how far north it is, I can't imagine it being the most temperate of climes.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

You had many a Pirate in the North sea. Norway, Germany the Baltic areas. Just not as "colorful" as the south seas pirates.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

As I remember, Capt Reis, one of the Sale' Rovers, raided Greenland at one point, taking somthing like 108 captives to sell as slaves.

Must've been a might chilly for the North Africans.....even in summer

:)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Black Bart Roberts raided in Newfoundland. I've never been there, but seeing how far north it is, I can't imagine it being the most temperate of climes.

...That would be the understatement of the century. :unsure:

Regarding shipping ice south, I believe it is a mid 19th century phenomenon - the entire ice industry coming about due to needing to preseve perishable goods being shipped a distance via rail. They were in full swing by the 1840's I believe.

Leave it to a New Englander to turn a profit on a naturally occuring inconvenience in his neck of the woods.

Viking's attacked alot of shipping the end of it came when their boats became dated. When the caravels and their high for and aft decks came into being the vicking ships no longer had an edge as given the lack of firearms the methoed of attack was boarding witch was why the caraval's had those high fore and aft decks.

If I recall there were pirates who prey'd upon the whale ships these pirates would have had to venture into the colder climes. ( I suppose)

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Newfoundland seems an unlikely venue for pirates, but it was often the first landfall for ships sailing from Europe and, at the end of their supplies, they'd put in there for fresh water and provisions. Likewise, ships heading from the New World across the Atlantic often put in for stores for the last leg of the voyage. That made it a natural lurking-place for pirates. Also, you could plunder the local fishermen (Newfoundland was the greatest cod-fishery in the world at that time) and lay in some barrels of salt cod to provision your further adventure

As long as we're talking about cold climates, this might amuse some of you.

Penguin

Coastie :huh:

or Smack the Penguin

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

:ph34r:

Coastie, I may makes that me avatar...

lovely

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

"smack the peguin is a lovely time waster as well" :ph34r: