Period Correct Mess Kit?

Tartan Jack

With all the recent discussion of period correct kit for trekking and so forth . . .

I just have to ask about THIS one . . .

At Paynetown, one of the participants went on to tell me that the "classic" tin "mess kit" camping cookware set was introduced in the 17th C. and would be found in the 18th C.

He was insistent that the "classic" aluminum mess kit is a modern version of a period set (made of tin), only slightly altered and easily "back dated" to a period correct one. Seeing the top part I brought, he asked if I had the rest (which was at home) and that all I would need to do to alter it is to change the plastic knob to a wood one cut from a dowel, use a metal cup if mine was plastic, and to make sure I had the kind with the swiveling metal latch/handle and not the hinged style. I needed to replace a philips head screw and wingnut to a flathead screw with a square nut.

Mine looks similar to:

Coleman%20Mess%20Kit.jpg

Is that correct?

What documentation?

- I would be surprised of it is, but such would certainly be possible. They did use tin, but had the mess kit been invented yet?

It sounded like BS to me.

I'm sure could use one at an event after hours, but would like to be period accurate as possible and travel as light as possible, while still being not dependent on others for basic stuff like tent, cooking, food, etc.

Anyone know when the "mess kit" was introduced and what the original version looked like?

(Edit: fix a couple spelling errors)

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

The first mess kit that I can document shows up around the end of the 18th century, They really start to be adopted in the Napoleonic period. Neither Neumann and Kravic nor Peterson mentions them in their Rev War encyclopedias. The folding skillet that is so often copied is suspect, also. What you would see is a copper or tin small kettle, perhaps a nest of two. A knife, spoon, and perhaps a small mug would complete the rig. If there is documentation that such a mess kit predates the Revwar, I would truly like to see it.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The first mess kit that I can document shows up around the end of the 18th century, They really start to be adopted in the Napoleonic period. Neither Neumann and Kravic nor Peterson mentions them in their Rev War encyclopedias. The folding skillet that is so often copied is suspect, also. What you would see is a copper or tin small kettle, perhaps a nest of two. A knife, spoon, and perhaps a small mug would complete the rig. If there is documentation that such a mess kit predates the Revwar, I would truly like to see it.

Hawkyns

I have to agree with this. I have never been able to find any evidence of a "mess Kit" until the Napoleonic Period. As for the folding fry pans that are out there I can find no evidence of that at all. Here is one site that talks about fry pans, mainly the Spider type.

History of the Fry Pan

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

Thanks.

I figured it was WW1 or maybe even newer than that (1950s).

I didn't know what was use Civil War/War Between the States (1860s), Napoleonic period (1800-18teens), or American War/Revolution (1770s/1780).

Thanks for the info.

What DID period tin cooking stuff look like?

I can find some cast iron, but would prefer something lighter/smaller for personal use at event.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

You might want to look at Carl Giordano's tinware. I have two of his tin kettles as well as his mess bowl, which has stood up to close to 10 years use and abuse. His stuff is light, correct, sturdy and affordable.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my travel kit when I'm goin for comfort and not trekking:

tent002.jpg

Doesn't show much, but it's my coffee-pot, wooden bowls and plate, some utensils, seasonings, cutting board, boiler, and my pot-spyder for cooking over coals.

My trekking kit is even less. (but I cheat and use those little coffe envelopes!)

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

I have seen many period pieces for a soldier's kit or explorer's kit but never have I seen anything prior to the late 19th century that came close to the modern mess kit pictured ...A wooden or tin bowl and a tin or copper pot and a mug/noggin of some material, yes, and a simple spit that could be suspended by sticks, yes but a separate kit just for eating/cooking was a later development. Even on some of the archeological digs I have worked on at French & Indian sites have nothing that resembles even parts of kits like those shown. I think perhaps someone was justifying their own choice of kit by making some suppositions that were not based in fact or valid research.

I have had some unqualified "antique dealers" try to tell me that machine forged items were from the early 1700's and tried to foist items that were clearly 1900's items as much earlier; so my advise would be "buyer beware"

I carry a small covered copper (1-1/2 Qt.) pot and a wooden bowl and noggin with a horn spoon and my work knife and a steel skewer about 18" long in a leather sheath that makes up my entire period personal cook set.