Port Royal Whores

Jib

I also remember a scene in the movie "From Hell" that showed a Victorian whore doing her trade standing up, clothed but with her bodice open, leaning against a wall.

Fiction and a different time period but perhaps it might give us an idea of what the flesh trade looked like in Port Royal.

I wonder if they have ever exhumed any of the graves in Port Royal (those that remain above sea level) of a well known lady of the evening? I imagine that you could get a great idea of what her life was like from the bones and teeth.

The graveyard in use pre-earthquake is underwater - it's treated like the Arizona in Hawaii - to be left untouched. I asked the archeologists how hard it would be to find Henry Morgan there in his lead coffin and the answer was there were no plans to touch the area. So many people died in those two weeks there that you can still feel it as you walk the streets at night.

Those who died after the quake in the GAoP era would have been buried in Spanish Town and later Kingston. Unfortunately, the poor were buried in unmarked graves, and certainly a lady of the evening would have been even buried outside the church grounds there.

It would certainly be interesting, though.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com