Pirate-Themed Weekend at The Texas Renaissance Festival

Blackbead

This year, The Texas Renaissance Festival will have it's pirate-themed weekend on October 24-25, 2009. This is one of the largest Renaissance faires in the world and on this particular weekend there will be thousands of pirates from all over the world meeting and drinking and carousing and partying from first watch to the last dog watch! With the camping area being so wild and wooly the party goes on around the clock! Dozens of pirate acts will be featured, the Court even takes on a piratical attitude, and there will be dozens of crews represented. One thing you won't want to miss is the pirate's auction - imagine getting a steel dagger, complete with sheath, for less than $10! Or you might even get one for free because they have door prizes and give-aways, too!

As special guests for this year's event, some of the poets from Raising Black Flags:Original Poetry By and About Pirates and the new CD, A Night At Devil's Tavern, will be on-hand outside of Creative Life Booksellers to autograph copies of the book and CD. This would be an excellent chance for you to get a copy of the book, the CD or both!

Are YOU going to be there???

Edited by Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Actually at Ye Olde Tavern we had discussed trying to gather our friends to come and participate but we were trying for the first or second weekend in Oct because PiP is so close, Thanks for the information and Ill pass it along!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

More than welcome, ye are, Syren! And more than welcome ye would be if you and your crew could make it out for what promises to be a grand time! Hope to see ye there! And if ye do make it, I'll recite for ye a poem that tells the tale of a pirate and a "syren" of the seas!

It begins like this . . .

The Siren and the Pirate

An Excerpt

Your throaty voice does fill my mind,

Its timber and pitch sweet as wine.

It follows me through wake and sleep

Filled with longing enough to make me weep.

Your visage I see afore my eyes

Every line and form a delight divine.

Those haunting eyes so deep and clear,

Are to me worth more than gold so dear.

By Kittye Williams

Copyright 2008

All Rights Reserved

Blackbead

• 2 months later...

I’m sitting here, trying to collect my thoughts, after returning from the Texas Renaissance Festival’s “Pirate Adventure” Weekend. It was an excellent weekend! We set sail anticipating nothing more than another event spent hawking the book and making a few sales and I returned home after experiencing so very much more!

First, I cannot express my gratitude enough to our host, Mr. James Huckabay of Creatyve Lyfe Books, his lovely wife, and his helpful and friendly staff, especially Lisa. Great directions, going out of their way to make sure we got where we needed to go, providing ice and water to make sure we didn’t go overboard in the heat of the day, setting up the table the second day even before I could get into the faire, the list goes on and on. One of the best “blessings” of this weekend was the gift of new friendship and I look forward to them lasting for a long time! That includes you, sweet “Molly”!

Second, we were overwhelmed with the wonderful reception by the cast and crew of the Texas Renaissance Faire. So many people stopped by the table to talk about the book, to listen to some of the poems, and to spend some of their own hard-earned money to take home a copy! I know we were only guests but before we left we felt like family! Thank you, TRF!

Third, I got to meet, hug, and share some time with Flora Alomari, AKA Captain Taffy Saltwater. One of my dearest dreams is to someday have a meeting of all of the poets and artists involved in Raising Black Flags. I don’t know if it will ever happen but it I took a very pleasant step in that direction Saturday when Captain Saltwater joined us at table!

Finally, we made some excellent friends, handed out many cards, sold quite a few books and CDs, and made at least one connection that will get Raising Black Flags in front of a whole new audience. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of our friends who came by the table and said, “hello” and to all of the new friends we made! HUZZAH, Texas Renaissance Faire; HUZZAH, friend Ravic!!