PERIOD Cold Weather Kit?

Tartan Jack

As I can't seem to find an existent thread on the topic (or my searches just weren't good) . . .

What are PERIOD ways to stay warm?

What do we KNOW they used shipboard?

There are several option in period on land, but what about by a sailor on ship?

- And list sources for opinions, please.

If it is a guess, educated or not, please say so.

Answer types, please indicate:

- Period/primary source backed evidence, proven fact. (cite sources)

- Educated guess based on period sources. (state sources)

- Educated guess based on living history/reenacting experience

- Belief, but no real source evidence.

- Guess.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Shrunk grey kersey jackets lined with cotton (as in the ASC specs) are very warm indeed and, I suspect from the dimensions of the 1730s set, were inteded as a cold weather overcoat rather than everyday wear. The ASC specs also mention mittens.

Thrum caps which crop up in various sources are also wonderfully snug and warm. Other knitted caps can also be used in the cold of course.

Knitted fabrics have been recovered from a number of wrecks - I'm thinking primarily of the Red Bay whaler wreck, which is early 17thC - and I have a knitted smock which is one of my favourite pieces of kit.

Those who remember just how flipping cold it was at RF2 (something like -20f) might be surprised to learn that in my knitted smock and thrum cap I genuinely didn't feel particularly cold.

So, thick woollen jackets, mittens, monmouth and thrum caps are all definite and all work.

Knitted woollen smocks are probable, based on evidence from either side of the GAoP, and also work.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Thanks Foxe.

Zorro comes through, again.

Can you detail or link the relevant garment in the 1730s ASC set?

I might want to make one based upon that.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

knit wear is always nice...

"There is some evidence for knitted men's undershirts (called waistcoats, but worn underneath the linen shirt) in the 17th and 18th centuries. The most famous example is the silk undershirt worn by Charles I to his execution in 1649. Several so-called 'Florentine Jackets' survive in various European collections, and there are references to them in period documents from the 17th through mid-18th centuries (Rutt, p. 81; Fashion in Detail by Avril Hart and Susan North, p. 184-5). These were knitted in five rectangular shapes (one for the back, two front pieces, and two sleeves) and shaped during assembly"(Riley)

Riley, Mara, Mara Riley's Costume Site (http://www.marariley.net/). ©1997-2003.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle