Winter Clothes

Bon jure mes amis! Soon the icy winds of hiver will be upon us, as well as the cool days of automne. So, what are you guys making to keep warm? Personally id like a watch cloak, a sleeved wesket or to, and a greatcoat would be.......great..lol....... Im pretty sure that a wool jacket would do, for most sailors/pyrates, but what are the common folk wearing in hiver? oh...and this question doesnt apply to michael, canadians dont need winter clothes...... au revoir, pour maintenant

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

ffiinnnneeee vous criez le bébé! I shall invite the canadian to bless us with his knowledge........ *le sigh

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

First off I have some off-white wool bunting to make shirts and shifts from .....sleeved waistcoat also in wool ...then a wool frock coat or a wool lined short sailor's jacket ....Monmouth cap and mittens with fingerless gloves underneath .... wool stockings and felt insoles in my shoes...also have a double weight wool great cloak if needs be

Edited by callenish gunner

ffiinnnneeee vous criez le bébé! I shall invite the canadian to bless us with his knowledge........ *le sigh

I travel south to warmer climates (particularly Florida) for cold month events... And wear the same stuff I wear in the summer events up north. B)

But on a less sarcastic note... B) ... I like Callenish's answer, although there are other good variants.

I myself have been thinking of making use of a "Capote" (sometimes written "Capot" or other variants). Basically it is a hooded heavy wool justacorp/frock coat. I haven't researched how far they go back, but has seen plenty of evidence of their use by both French and English colonials in the later half of the GAoP (it seems to come up for Militia wear most often).

Michael_banner.jpg

I made myself a cloak-y thing.

100_2188.jpg

I'm making wool mitts, the boys are getting wool jackets and breeches, wool stockings and I was thinking wool flannel undies for all would be nice and toasty. I read about a knit petticoat, but with over two-thousand stitches in the hem.... I am not yet that crazy.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

My dear sir I don't know what translator you use or not for your French but it always put a smile on my face. I mean that in very friendly non-condescending way. It's always very close but not quite rigth. Keep it up I like it wink.gif

My dear sir I don't know what translator you use or not for your French but it always put a smile on my face. I mean that in very friendly non-condescending way. It's always very close but not quite rigth. Keep it up I like it wink.gif

LOLOLOLOL i swear i was waiting for someone to call me on the bad french lol, i havnt started classes yet, so im gooing of what i can piece together with the help of the internet lololol, im glad it makes you smile...for it does the same to me :D

Callenish, bless yee sire, for i almost forgot to put gloves on my list of things to get, i think jas townsend may get an order from me soon.........i wonder if its easier to buy a cloak or make.......iv also seen people just use blankets pinned about their person as cloaks, i know it was done in the revolutionary period, but was it don in the early 1700s too? i would imagine so, but ill still ask...........

Mike, i was looking at a copote myself, for it is easier to make than a great coat, and more than likely cheaper(yyaayyy) I havnt seen any period artworks with it depicted on a civilian, but i have seen on on a painting of soldiers in the f&I war...though admittedly later in time.....

Lady brower i do love the color of your cloak-y thingy..whatever it, tis great, but it inspires another question......where'd you get the fabric.........?

Lady brower i do love the color of your cloak-y thingy..whatever it, tis great, but it inspires another question......where'd you get the fabric.........?

Ebay, Monsieur... Ebay. Ms. Kate let me in on a little secret (sadly, I am not good at keeping them!) that ebay is a great place to find fabric.... So with her help I found this and several other chunks of wool for the Sean and Clint's Jackets. (She is a terrible influence on me, I find myself doing a great deal of shopping while chatting with her...)

In any case, it cost less than 40 in fabric and probably only 3 hours in time thus far (the edges are unfinished) so if you are trying to save coin, I highly recomend making one. =) with the left overs you can stitch up a pair of mittens and maybe a hat.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Ebay, Monsieur... Ebay. Ms. Kate let me in on a little secret (sadly, I am not good at keeping them!) that ebay is a great place to find fabric.... So with her help I found this and several other chunks of wool for the Sean and Clint's Jackets. (She is a terrible influence on me, I find myself doing a great deal of shopping while chatting with her...)

In any case, it cost less than 40 in fabric and probably only 3 hours in time thus far (the edges are unfinished) so if you are trying to save coin, I highly recomend making one. =) with the left overs you can stitch up a pair of mittens and maybe a hat.

i must say, i have yet to ever use ebay for anything, iv always been a bit apprehensive of online buying.......but that may just be me...being paranoid....i shall see what i find.......any tips?

Edited by René la Gaffe