What would you bring/carry

Okay, I hope I can make this clear... I also figured this may or may not be the best place for this, so if the mods think it might suit a different part of the pub, please don't hesitate to move it.

Without getting bogged down in details (so try to keep it to lists, with perhaps brief explanations on some items), what would you bring (whether you currently own/have it or not) to make a complete portrayal on a "Trekking" style event. For those of you not familiar with historical trekking, basically it is re-enacting that is not done in public, you gather up everything you need and travel to a location (be it by boat, or by foot, or horse or whatever suits your portrayal best), and live as close to period as possible with what you have brought along for a short period of time (usually a weekend to a few days, but rarely longer than a week). Now understand, some allowances can be made for modern conveniences (medicines are obvious, lighters or matches for those who don't know period fire starting techniques would also be acceptable, any small things like that, that are reasonable). Your listed gear should all be portable by means that are appropriate (either all in packs for foot people, a reasonable sized chest and/or sea bag for boat people, or a few packs for the cavalry inclined). For those who wish to take it up a notch, and have a couple or a few containers (bags/pouches/chests), listing where you store particular items is a big plus.

While some discussion of the merit of or exclusion of certain items would be beneficial, lets try not to get too bogged down with authenticity talk, or poo-poo other people's preferences... And I see no reason why the more pop-culturally inclined pirates or portrayals here on the pub shouldn't share their ideas and gear lists as well (in fact I think it would be cool to see a list for such a portrayal).

I'll put my list(s) in a separate post to keep it separated from the guidelines.... And I might want to peek at a few responses before sharing my own. :( It might be best to for those who have multiple portrayals to put their lists one per post.

I am really doing this because I am curious to see what people would do to create a whole portrayal, complete and done unto itself. And I think it is a neat idea for a discussion topic...

Michael_banner.jpg

Ah, this one's easy! I have done several 16th-17th century events which I approached with a trekking mindset (I am lazy and like to carry everything in one trip).

Into my snapsack goes:

Small wooden trencher

Spoon

Horn cup

Spare stockings

Woolen cap

Food

Tinder kit in oilskin bag

Modern medicine/wallet

18-20' length of hemp rope

Small copper cookpot

Slung from my belt are:

Hanger and scabbard

Small sheath knife

Leather pouch for pre-rolled ammunition (required at some Florida events), spare flints and musket tool

Hung about my neck are:

Leather water bottle

Bandolier

Carried in my hands are:

Musket

Oilskin and blanket (can also be lashed to snapsack if I am covering any distance)

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

Nice Red Sea Trade! Thanks for sharing! I have a question about the horn cup. How do they handle with coffee or other boiled drinks?

And since I am having a slow day, I'll just get it out of my system.... I'll start with the list for my Red Coat infantry portrayal.

The uniform (shoes, stockings, garters, breeches, shirt, waistcoat and outer coat, cocked hat, and belt)

On the belt

shot box (with shot)

hanger sword (or belt axe if I think it will fit the excursion better)

bayonet and/or knife.

leather costrel filled with water hanging from a strap

Currently using a canvas haversack, but looking to replace it

fire starting gear (striker, good size chunk of flint, and tin of char cloth)

(although I might borrow Red Sea Trade's idea of keeping this in a small pouch)

deck of playing cards and dice (to stave off boredom)

some small diameter rope or heavy twine (usually a fist sized ball or spool)

some coins (still need to get some better ones)

usually my modern necessary stuff, like wallet and all that goes with it, and car keys etc.

pipe and tobacco pouch (which is a modern plastic ziplock concealed in a wool pouch)

a lighter as some times I don't have the patience for flint and steel (or I run out of char cloth)

if I need to carry food, I will toss an apple(or a few) and/or some oranges or bananas in there as well

In the snapsack

extra socks

extra shirt

the coat or waistcoat if it gets too hot to wear both (I always try to leave one or the other on)

any more food stuffs I think I might need

tin cup and/or corn boiler

Wooden spoon, and bowl

knife (if not being worn on belt)

In hand

musket

blanket (which I can and will tie to snapsack for travel)

shelter canvas (carried as blanket, or perhaps rolled around blanket)

Some ideas I have been toying with, that I haven't tried or figured out yet...

a tampion to fit my musket, with a pin on the outside end of it, so as to use my

musket as an upright for the shelter canvas as a single pole shelter (stored in haversack or snapsack when not in use).

attaching loops to my cocked hat so I can carry my pipe there like I have seen Patrick Hand and others do

(so I break fewer pipes in the haversack)

Some means of doing portable coffee, and a good portable ceramic mug that won't likely break (yeah right) as hot coffee in tin mug = ouch

I want to start carrying some strips of scrap fabric/rags, as they just seem to come in handy and be too useful to not have,

maybe a small pouch to store said scraps in, and be kept in haversack or snapsack.

That is all I can think of for this set up.

Michael_banner.jpg

In answer to your question about horn cups and hot liquids, I should clarify: I have two horn cups. One is simply pressed, shaped (unlined) horn, and it works fine with coffee so long as I don't let it sit too long. The other one is lined with brewer's pitch, and that one I reserve for cold drinks.

Since I live in the Tropics, I am more likely to be drinking cold drinks than warm. I have also been known to use my wooden bowl for coffee, should I really need a hearty jolt.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

Well, this is a good one!

As I used to kind of do trekking...

I have a canvas backpack with a wooden frame, not too big...

In that goes an extra shirt, wesket, breeches, stockings, musket cleaning supplies (rags and a little bottle of oil), foodstuff, gamebox (has backgammon and checkers, pieces go inside and so does a deck of cards), tankard and or cup, bowl, horn spoon, sometimes an enamel pot ( I have yet to get a period type). bottle of spirits. coil of cecil line. Horn comb, couple lengths of leather thong.

Tied to backpack; canvas for a shelter and a wool blanket, used to have a duffel bag as well, stuffed with certain things makes a nice pillow. candle lantern

Depending, I might be wearing a head scarf, shirt and belt over a breech-clout and leather leggings, or breeches and leather leggings, Short jacket or wesket, or capote if cold weather. Tri-corn or cocked hat. Pipe stuck on hat. shoes or moccasins.

St. Barbara's Medallion

On belt; cutlass and large knife, small axe (hawk), Cartridge box. maybe pistol.

Slung over shoulder, leather water canteen, shoulder pouch with gun tools, flint & steel, tow, char-cloth, extra musket flints, compass, spyglass, Tobacco, modern stuff - wallet & ID, maybe cell phone just for emergency use. pocket watch.

Small powder horn.

In hand; Musket, used to have a sling so it could be on shoulder.

small 1st aid kit in the pack

Now, if I'm doing sailor;

One sea chest

Two shirts

One pair slops

Two pair stockings

wesket

Neckerchief

Belt or two

Club

Cutlass (if not on my belt)

Hatchet (hawk)

Spare tricorn

knit cap

Tankard

Salt-glazed cup

wooden plate

wooden bowl

horn spoon

folding knife (if not in pocket of short jacket)

Sgian dubh

2-3 Bottle(s) of spirits

Game box

Spyglass

Dividers

24 inch rule

inkpen

ink

parchment or a ledger

horn comb

Charts rolled up if I have them

Bo'sun call

compass

extra silk ribbons

sewing needle and thread

Fid (if not stuck in a buttonhole on my short jacket)

Pipe(s) and tobacco (one pipe in hat)

leather money pouch

Pistol (if not on my belt)

Grenado B)

Fire starting kit (flint & Steel, tow/char-cloth)

tin with extra musket flints and a piece of slowmatch

small powder horn

Candle lantern

extra candle or two

coil of cecil line

couple lengths of leather thong

Wool blanket

Foodstuff - apples, baguettes, cheese, maybe sausage...

small 1st aid kit in the bottom

Wearing;

Shirt

neckerchief

slops

stockings

shoes (may do rope sandals in lieu of stockings and shoes)

Wesket or sailor's short jacket

belt with cutlass and large knife

Belt with cartridge box and pistol hung on belt hook

Tricorn or knit cap (need a better one)

St. Barbara's Medallion

leather thong with keys to chest lock

Pocket watch in wesket or jacket pocket

leather water canteen over shoulder

In hand;

Musket

I'm probably missing some small items...

They'll come to me later

As you can see, the sailor's rig has more stuff.

I've done both setups and combination of each.

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

After Burning Man, I will be getting back to working on my Buccaneer gear for PiP..... I've posted this before, but this is what I have now...

gear.jpg

My bedroll (I have to get another buckle.... one of them is on Mission's Hat.....)

bedroll.jpg

One end of my ground cloth showing the 9 man Morris and Backgammon board

games.jpg

And the snapsack most everything goes into....

Snapsack.jpg

And just to keep it on-topic.... I can explain how I made (or make the new stuff)....when I start working on it....

This is a fun topic. I made a list this spring of the bare necessities in preparation for going on a weekend long canoe trek that ended up being canceled due to flooding :blink: The idea was to have a few personal belongings, in as compact a space, in order to maximize the "cargo" room on the boats.

Wear:

stockings & garters

shoes

2 petticoats

1 shift

pack thread stays

wool jacket

neckerchief

head scarf

hat

Bed Roll:

oil cloth piece

wool blanket

spare shift/shirt

spare stockings

Snap sack/haversack:

modern medication

modern eye glasses

modern 1st aid kit

food (parched corn, jerky, coffee beans, hard cheese, hard tack, modern water filter)

spoon

stoneware porringer

fire starting tin (striker, lens, tow & char cloth)

candle nub

knife

map of the river

Hopefully the trip won't be canceled next year, I'm really looking forward to spending a few days both on the river & as unencumbered with gear as possible.

Chole

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

hot coffee in tin mug = ouch

Just a thought wrap the tin mug in a few wraps of leather should work nicely for insulation and is PC. This should be my first event where I am putting together my kit so I'm greatful but can't add my own yet.

Please add your list, done or not! Share what you plan, regardless of when you actually will have it all together... There were at least a couple of items on my list I haven't quite picked up yet. I've wrapped the handle of one of my tin mugs for coffee, and while it does away with the "ouchie" on the hands, it still is pretty damn uncomfortable on the lips... And I don't much care for the notion of wrapping the lip of the tin cup in leather, it would make more sense for me to just gt a leather or horn cup. Thanks for the suggestion though! So let's see that list! :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

My list is nothing more than a very rough idea as my wife is not here yet and we haven't started putting anything together for her. Roughly my idea consists of a sea chest (not built yet) which will hold my weapons in the bottom (not the blunderbuss though) and a couple pairs of pants and shirts in the top. It will also house my scarves, belts, and whatever else im not needing to wear at that time. I will also have my powder chest which is a nice locked and lined wood chest. There are a couple small cannon as well as a box for charges (empty until rolled and ready for firing). I have my "bag" which holds all my odds and ends from money to drinking mug to cleaning supplies. The tent is still not constructed yet and may be nothing more than a tarp depending on what time allows. I would like to have a wedge tent large enough to have an air mattress inside for sleeping on hidden under some blankets. I dont worry much about cold weather clothes as PiP really is about the only event I go to and am planning on going by boat leaving her anchored while I am at the fort.

id.jpg

Assuming I am traveling by land…

In The Sailor’s Bag

Tankard

Fork

Knife

Spoon

Fire Kit

Pair of wool socks

Rope

Marlin Spike

Fid

Needles & Thread

Bed Roll

Wool Sailor’s Short Coat

Tin of dried meat

Tin of smoked oysters

Pipe & Tobacco

Wearing…

Shoes

Wool Socks

Slops

Weskit

Wide Belt

Linen Shirt

Neckerchief

Tricorn

Sundial Compass (in pocket)

Powder Horn

Cartridge Box

Leather Water Canteen

Small Leather Flask of Rum

In/On the belt…

Sailors Knife

Queen Anne Pistol (loaded & jammed in my belt)

In Hand…

Ship's Carbine

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif