flat cap

iPirate

I'm sure most of us are familiar with this type of hat:

Flat-cap.jpg

what many may not know is this style actually dates back to the 14th Century

From Wikipedia:

The style can be traced back to 14th century Britain and Ireland, when it was more likely to be called a 'bonnet', which term was replaced, except in Scotland, by cap before about 1700.[1] When Irish and English immigrants came to America they brought the flat cap with them.

A 1571 Act of Parliament to stimulate domestic wool consumption and general trade decreed that on Sundays and holidays that all males over 6 years of age, except for the nobility and persons of degree, were to wear caps of wool manufacture on force of a fine (3/4d (pence) per day). The Bill was not repealed until 1597, though by this time, the flat cap had become firmly entrenched in English psyche as a recognized mark of a non-noble subject; be it a burgher, a tradesman, or apprentice. The style survives as the Tudor bonnet in some styles of academic dress.

link to entire article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_cap

anyways, considering this style of hat has been around so long, is there an evidence of it being worn amongst pirates?

Edited by iPirate

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

From what I recall . . .

It is a formalized version of the Scots bonnet, which was/is somewhat akin to a beret.

The Scots tended to pull it forward to keep the rain off their face, and the sun in the few times it poked through.

Image from 1641:

belted-plaid.jpg

Note the hat position in a number of these:

feilidhmhor1.jpg

highlandcostume.jpg

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

What I understand (may be wrong):

The Scots bonnet developed along two main lines:

The "cocked" version, which became what we call the Balmoral. One side was reinforced to hold itself up. That spawned the Glengarry and a few others.

The "pulled forward" version, which added a bill and reinforcement to hold it forward.

I don't recall when that paneled version came into vogue. I think it was during the Victorian era. It has that "feel" and cut to it. I do know that the ghillies at Balmoral during Victoria's reign wore them.

Bear in mind that the kind of flat hat that was around in the periods discussed bears no resemblance to the photograph in the first post.

Can't think of any specific pirate related references, but there are so many mentions of 'caps' which could be anything...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Broad terms here and there was some overlap of usage but in earlier times(Early mid Henrican)

Hats were felt, usually blocked

Caps were knitted

Bonnets were sewn cloth.

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

First off, Wikipedia isn't the best reference source since it is NOT authenticated but self edited(anyone can post as an "expert"). The flat cap most often referred to in the Tudor era is the type most often associated these days with the caps worn at the Renaissance Faires ....these did have their links back to the 1400's ....check out some or the Renaissance/ Elizabethan artists and check out the caps they show in their painting absolutely none of them resemble the Victorian/Edwardian cap you have pictured in the first post. Tracing origins of clothing is a vague term at best it's like saying trouser's can trace their existence back to the skins worn by cavemen(ciruitus at best). Because it is a smaller type headwear and not a crowned blocked hat doesn't mean it the same as what was worn in a bygone age. Remember Wikipedia is a unreliable resource for authenticated reference material unless there is primary reference listed in the posting within the citation.

If you page down in that Wikipedia citation you'll see it is under factual dispute

Edited by callenish gunner

To answer the question . . .

A Scots bonnet flat-cap, as seen in the picture of the Highlander in the belted plaid:

- Yes, they are of the period, VERY strongly associated with Scots (who were even nickamed Bluebonnets after their almost general usage headwear), and could have easily been worn by a Scot traveling or exiled.

The one in you first post:

No, as that cut dates from 150 years post-17-teens.

To answer the question . . .

A Scots bonnet flat-cap, as seen in the picture of the Highlander in the belted plaid:

- Yes, they are of the period, VERY strongly associated with Scots (who were even nickamed Bluebonnets after their almost general usage headwear), and could have easily been worn by a Scot traveling or exiled.

The one in you first post:

No, as that cut dates from 150 years post-17-teens.

The cap in the original picture (cap with the top pulled forward and snapped to the brim) was very popular in the early 20th century. I don't think that this specific style goes back much further than that. I've never seen anything 18th century or earlier that looks remotely like it.

Mark