Linseed Oil Scare

I just thought I would post this since most of the folks who do projects in this thread have used linseed oil as finish. I just got really lucky. I have been using the standard boiled linseed oil as a final coat for years. Until today I have never taken the warnings in the can seriously. I was putting a coat of oil on the inside of a sea chest, and tossing the paper towels on the floor of the garage as usual. About 10- 15 minutes later I went to pick them up, and burned my hand on the paper towels. There is a warning on the can to spread out oily rags to dry, I can now say heed it. I'm dam lucky I didn't burn down my garage with all the sawdust out there.

Here are pics of my finishing towels after I hit them with a hose.

DSC02602.jpg

DSC02603.jpg

How's yer hand??

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Woah!

Glad ya caught this before things went any farther!

And, to echo Sterling, How are YOU?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Thanks everyone for your concern, I am fine. I can't even call in sick to work tomorrow. :D The whole point of the post was to serve as a warning to folks who might not realize that oily rags will burn from their own heat if you leave them on the floor

Well yeah.... oily rags can spontaneously combust..... I didn't even take shop and know that.....

But your point is well taken....

We play with linseed oiled cloth to make period stuff.... and if we forget.......

So your post is a good reminder.....

Edward,

Glad to ken ye are fine and well, and the warning i am sure will be well heeded. Just thanking the gods ye are fine with nae damage done.

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string