more Master and Commander?

Iron Bess

KFWB NEWS 980

Posted: Friday, 17 July 2009 12:29PM

Crowe May Return to 'Master & Commander' Helm

LONDON - Russell Crowe is in the early stages of negotiations to reprise the role of Jack Aubrey as a British sea captain in a new movie version from the Master & Commander series of novels.

Crowe told The Associated Press on Friday that a script based mostly on the eleventh novel of Patrick O'Brian's 20-novel series, The Reverse of the Medal, had been written, but that discussions were at a very early stage.

"There's still a long way to go," the New Zealand-born actor told AP at a cricket match between England and Australia in London. He said talks had been taking place with the owner of the rights to the novels.

The 44-year-old Crowe, who won a best actor Oscar for his starring role in Gladiator, is a keen cricket fan. His two cousins, Jeff and Martin, are former captains of the New Zealand national team. Jeff is now a senior cricket official and is in charge of the team of officials at the England-Australia match.

The AubreyMaturin novels consists of 20 books and one partly written before his death in 2000 by O'Brian, all set during the Napoleonic Wars.

The 2003 movie Master and Commander took material from several of the novels. The Reverse of the Medal, published in 1986, sees Aubrey in the Caribbean in his ship HMS Surprise, where he meets his illegitimate son Samuel Panda, a Catholic priest born from an illicit liaison.

Crowe gave no indication of when filming could start but said it was one of a number of projects he is considering.

(AP)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Yeah, fine, Russell Crowe, etc. etc.

The real question is whether they can get Paul Bettany back. (At least, that's my real question.) He made that movie.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Sounds Like they might use the HMS Surprise again then aye?

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I think they'll be needing some equipment. I know the ship is in good condition, although that might change after Thursday's raid by Pirates. The gimble in Rosarita might be another story.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Yeah, fine, Russell Crowe, etc. etc.

The real question is whether they can get Paul Bettany back. (At least, that's my real question.) He made that movie.

Paul Bettany is a great actor, and he did a great job in M&C, but he is so unlike the Stephen Maturin of the books! Bettany's Maturin is tall, good-looking and fair complexioned, where O'Brian's Maturin is short, rather ugly and dark-complexioned. But I suppose it's too late to change now. And it wouldn't ruin the movie or anything.

In an ideal world, they would make films of all 20.5 books, but that would mean calling the next film Master and Commander since that's the name of the first book. Reverse of the Medal would make a great film, but my personal choice for most cinematic would be Desolation Island. The scene with the Surprise being chased by the Waakzaamheid through the southern ocean, during violent storms and enormous seas, and the shocking ending to it all would make an incredible film.

Paul Bettany is a great actor, and he did a great job in M&C, but he is so unlike the Stephen Maturin of the books! Bettany's Maturin is tall, good-looking and fair complexioned, where O'Brian's Maturin is short, rather ugly and dark-complexioned. But I suppose it's too late to change now. And it wouldn't ruin the movie or anything.

You think Bettany is good-looking? I'm no expert judge, but I'd say he's sort of awkward-looking. He is a great actor. He was the best part of A Knight's Tale. His portrayal as a surgeon in M&C was a small part of the reason I chose that role for my character.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

I can't wait for the release. Not having read the series, I don't know the characters' descriptions in them nor the specific novels.

I do recall M&C being altered notably from the original books and being a combo of several. The Frenchmen was originally the Constitution or a sister ship and the Constitution served as the model for the one in the movie. Which novel was that in and which American ship was the Surprise fighting?

That makes me wonder is the new one will be closely tied to the novel of the same name or be a departure of it an combined with elements from other novels, like the first film.

Personally, I would love to see a series done based on the Aubrey series like was done for the Hornblower series.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

I loved the movie, even though they made the American privateer French but I was greatly disappointed in how they portrayed Maturin, who is by far the most interesting character in the books, drug addict, spy, doctor and rich to boot. He actually winds up buying HMS Surprise and outfitting Aubrey as a privateer in one of the books.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

Strangely, I've owned the book Master & Commander for almost ten years and have never managed to get through it. I've tried three times - once when I bought it, once about a year after the movie (upon noticing that I owned it) and a third time before PiP in '07 when I was thinking about how to do my surgeon character. I just can't seem to get through it for some reason... According to my bookmark, I made it to page 130 on the last attempt. I think it's because the text is too descriptive and ponderous for me. I believe William Red Wake suggested I get it on tape and listen to it instead, but I haven't done that.

Still, as a result, I don't have an preconceived notions about how Maturin should be played. Perhaps that's why I like the way Bettany and the movie script portray him.

The local library doesn't have them, nor does the inter-library loan seem to want to give me access to them. I must admit I'm not quite interested enough to pay for them on tape since 1) I'll only listen to them once (because they're fiction) and 2) I'd rather not confuse factual medical concepts with fictional ones (even if they are drawn from factual ones.) Maybe some day...

I'm also looking forward to a new movie. I thought Russel Crowe did a great job as Jack, and although Paul Bettany's character was not exactly what I pictured from the books (I thought they made Maturine a little too servile, where in the books he is more assertive and also secretive, and they left out completely his addiction to laudenum), I enjoyed his performance very much, and would like to see him return to the part. In the first movie, I thought one of the best performances was by the young boy who played Lord Blakely (?). And I have a very soft spot in my heart for Killick.

As for listening to the books on tape, I found that difficult. But that might have been because Chain Shot and I were staying the weekend on our boat, and were listening to it late at night. We couldn't stay awake long enough to get through one tape. LOL I much prefer reading the books, of which I think I've read four, in no particular order.

BTW, the first time we sailed on the Lady Washington, Captain Killick was standing in for the weekend for her regular captain. Killick is now Captain of the Lynx. A very nice gent. :D When I told him about the Killick character in the books, he assured me that they must be related! LOL

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog