So...What exactly is it and how do I use it?

Capn' Mac

My father passed away recently and part of my inheritance was this signal cannon. At least I think it’s a signal cannon. I had to clean it out a bit but it seems ready to go now. Having never fired a little beastie like this I wanted to know what I am dealing with and if I should even bother. Any help perhaps please?

3729626508_5313a9ce81.jpg3728825143_a656e6e214.jpg3728825205_1694cc6f1a.jpg

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

3660251270_1501aa649b.jpg

It looks like a signal cannon that would use a small charge and safety fuse(since the touch hole is raised and protruding) ...If your thinking of actually firing it I would start with a good cleaning and safety check hopefully with somebody who has some experience, then small charges like for a pistol, no more than 50 grains of black powder and about a foot and a half of fuse so you have time to get 40-50 feet away. If it is sound build up the charges slowly until perhaps 100 grains or so. Good luck with her!!!

A very nice little signal gun. These bring fairly high prices at auction. It is suitable for blank charges only, and not real heavy ones, because of the trunnion caps only being held in place by wood screws. They would need to be held by through bolts to stand the recoil of a projectile as a steady diet. These are sometimes also referred to as 'yachting cannons'. They are seen in many sizes.

>>>> Cascabel

Thank ye much Callenish and Cascabel! Where might I order the appropriate supplies to fire this beastie safely?

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

To know the dimensions would help alot.

What is the bore size ?

What is the breach size ?

Is it a casting ? You cannont control pourosity during a pour .

Is it machined from billet (Solid Round Bar) ?

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

To know the dimensions would help alot.

What is the bore size ?

What is the breach size ?

Is it a casting ? You cannont control pourosity during a pour .

Is it machined from billet (Solid Round Bar) ?

I forgot to mention it is a beatiful scale model of a Rodman ........., Except Rodmans have no cascabel ., they simply had elevation notches aon the rear face of the breach.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Now you’ve truly got me all at sea so to speak.

“What is the bore size ?”

- Well what is the bore and how would I measure it?

“What is the breach size ?”

- What is the breach and how would I measure it?

“Is it a casting ?”

- How would I tell?

“Is it machined from billet (Solid Round Bar) ?”

- Again, how would I tell?

You’re speaking to a total novice here, albeit a novice eager to learn…rolleyes.gif

Bore size is the hole down the barrel

Breech size will be the diameter where the bore terminates

Look for tell tale signs at the truniuns, if it all appears to be 1 piece then most likely a casting, if the truniuns appear to be added on most likely machined

Machined look at how to tell if its a casting.

id.jpg

Thanks for that. Taking a look see here it appears:

Bore Hole:

- Diameter

1.5 CM or 5/8"

- Length

20.5 CM or 8"

Breech:

- Diameter

5.5 CM or 2 2/8 "

Looking at the trunnions, there appears to be a seam to my very novice, untrained eye so I would guess it was machined. Again however I am not sure what to look for exactly...

It looks like a signal cannon that would use a small charge and safety fuse(since the touch hole is raised and protruding)

Actually, I think the protruding touch hole might be a 'nipple'

You can also see 'dings' near the touch hole in the pictures, suggesting that that area of the cannon may have been hit with a

hammer. Rather than a fuse, I think this cannon is meant to be fired by a percussion cap and a small hand held hammer.

Still, the suggestion for a first test fire with a LONG safety fuse is a good one.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

It looks like a signal cannon that would use a small charge and safety fuse(since the touch hole is raised and protruding)

Actually, I think the protruding touch hole might be a 'nipple'

You can also see 'dings' near the touch hole in the pictures, suggesting that that area of the cannon may have been hit with a

hammer. Rather than a fuse, I think this cannon is meant to be fired by a percussion cap and a small hand held hammer.

Still, the suggestion for a first test fire with a LONG safety fuse is a good one.

Hmmmm.... It does look a bit like a steel musket nipple screwed into the breech. If it has a square shoulder, that's what it is....

>>>> Cascabel