Bone dice?

MadL

I have been seeking some dice made of Bone and not having much luck within the US, plenty of sources overseas where I must pay extra due t' our weak dollar, vat tax, overseas shipping, etc. But none within the US colonies??

Of course now I be seeking 'olden' looking dice, preferable ones that LOOK handmade (if not truly handmade) and not the new, shiny, obviously machine made ones that ye can find at any hobby shop.

Or, does anyone know where I can obtain raw bone that be solid through enough t' make me own? I need 5 total (perhaps even 10 or 20). But not antler bone, I would prefer bone from Inside a critter, or even ivory if it not be too expensive...yah, right!!

What I am seeking would be like these:

UK - Gothic Green Oak

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Haunting Lily: Aye, those horn ones will do. A soaking in a sweaty rag should help t' give them that 'well used' look (bone turns color as it adsorbs th' salt from yer body, learned that with me Maori Hook necklace). Also a good red-hot rod should touch up the spots a bit.

Captain Satan: Aye, I already have a lead set, but they be a might heavy and make quite th' racket when tossed! Also I would imagine there would be some who may have a few words if they were tossed on their counter top...

Check out MacGregor Games. The offer several different version of dice, although they are cast resin and not real bone. I've got a pair of "Lord and Lady" dice, and they rattle pretty good, though not exactly like bone. But I've known them for 20 years or so, and they are excellent folks. They have a stand at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival, and several other Faires around the country, so you may be able to try out a pair in person before you buy.

Too bad McGregor does not offer th' real deal, with so much detail t' authenticity yet made from resin... also: $5 for a single resin die vs $3 for a pair of real bone (comparing Roman vs standard dots, but still...)

I like their description of Sheep's Knuckles! I wonder if that was played on ship during GAoP??

• 3 weeks later...

I have been seeking some dice made of Bone and not having much luck within the US, plenty of sources overseas where I must pay extra due t' our weak dollar, vat tax, overseas shipping, etc. But none within the US colonies??

Of course now I be seeking 'olden' looking dice, preferable ones that LOOK handmade (if not truly handmade) and not the new, shiny, obviously machine made ones that ye can find at any hobby shop.

Or, does anyone know where I can obtain raw bone that be solid through enough t' make me own? I need 5 total (perhaps even 10 or 20). But not antler bone, I would prefer bone from Inside a critter, or even ivory if it not be too expensive...yah, right!!

What I am seeking would be like these:

UK - Gothic Green Oak

westcoastpickers, actually I did find some dice t' suit me needs at Scarlet Scarab 'n Sutlerjon made me up some fine cups. However, perhaps some more information on th' dice ye hold? Size, details, coloration; perhaps they would fit th' ideal set fer that "Hands Off, These Be Mine" kinda dice :rolleyes:

Just a thought for anyone intersted,

I made me Dice from .58 cal musket ball, aye i know no lead...well i not be using the stuff.

I made them from solder, plumbing supply. 95/5 tin and antimony, perfectly safe you jes have to spend a little extra time ageing them, (they're real shiney

Asolfr

Captain of the Blacktyde

Purveyor of Asolfr's Workshoppe

"If I don't have it, i'll find it

If I can't find it, i'll make it

If I can't make it, I'll steal it"

So says Asolfr the Pirate

• 3 weeks later...