Fighting Galleons on yer desktop

MadL

Not sure but I think I recall have'n seen this posted a year or more ago but th' link would not work for me.

I just found this t'day while surfing and have found it a bit hard t' walk away from!

Desktop Galleon - and it be FREE (a pirate's favorite price!)

http://www.piratesonlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259

it be almost halfway down th' page, here be what they say:

Download now and embark on a high-seas adventure right on your desktop! As you progress through the different levels of this mini-game, you'll also earn exclusive pieces of concept art used to create Pirates of the Caribbean Online.

Minimum System Requirements:

Operating System: Windows 2000/XP

Processor: 1.5ghz

Memory: 256 MB RAM

Here be what I say: Choose yer ship's sail colors, name yer ship, then sail about yer own desktop (offline!) and blow them double sons of a ship's cook outta th' water!! Gather gold, golden cannons, sail th' winds, and all with some pretty cool sound effects t'boot!!

Only a 9meg download and it runs just fine on me own wee sloop with just a PIII 850Mhz and only 785K of Ram (it gives me a warning that I may have troubles, but none found yet! Smooth Sailing!!)

So..while I be on bed rest due t' a minor weapon accident (cleaning me cutlass with th' safety off 'n it shot me in th' foot! ;) ) I have someth'n t' do!!

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

vintage sailor; that be too bad. What OS are ye running, not that Vista is it?? I hear lots of stuff will not run on Vista that runs fine on most older OS'...also there has long been some issues with dual processors, some applications are not written to know how t' use them (Poser and many 3D graphics apps had issues when dual CPUs first came out). I have NO IDEA what this app is written in.

It ran smooth on the XP at school where I first downloaded (only 256M of ram and some oddball CPU that will not identify itself - it be a very cheap school!), and when I downloaded it on me Win200Kpro at home with 756M of Ram and only a PIII 850 I was not sure; it does give me a pop up telling me I do not meet the requirements and warns I may have performance issues - But it Runs great and smooth..

I just tried t' get a sceen grab but it refuses t' be captured??? The ships sail right on top o' yer desktop, but all I can capture be me desktop itself Minus th' ships, the floating powder keg mines, the occasional thunder storm cloud that tries t' mess up yer smooth sailing, the cannons blasting, the 'power ups' and loot that come and go (be quick t' grab them, and the enemy ship will try t' block ye too).

I have made it t' the second level of the third battle, Del Fuego, but first I had t' win me way through three level each in Port Royal and Tortuga!! Port Royal twas rather easy, Tortuga they began t' attack from Two side, but these Del Fuego pirates do NOT play fair!! They some time come at me with THREE ship at once!!! And them bloody exploding powder kegs!!!

Aye, Tartan Jack, tis too bad, Mac don't know Jack. But shouldn't the newer version o' Mac have extentions that allow them t' run PC based apps?? However this one is not just a simple app, I think it may be based in Direct X or something along them lines (seeing as it all floats ON TOP of the desktop the way it does).

HEY, vintage sailor, maybe that be it, have ye updated yer Direct X from Microsoft?? I think they up around version 9 or so now. And what about yer graphics card, have updated it's driver at all??

Sounds then like a video card driver issue. I have read of some who have such issues with screen savers in some forums I frequent such at Serene Screen Marine Aquarium (www.SereneScreen.com) where I was at a lot during its early stages (only supports XP and Vista now and wont run on Win2K at all, new version that is). Often people would have to roll back their video drivers after an update as some games and Direct X stuff would stop working. Currently I have Marine Aquarium 2.6 that works great but I found some versions of my card's driver that it did not, I have a shark saver that stopped working at all and I don't want to go back to the old driver it did work on because of other issues - the shark saver is kinda like you describe, I can still hear the sound but the images are all gone, just a few flashes of light.

That is too bad, its really a finely crafted solo player game. Perhaps ye can find a friend's computer t' try it out on...