Period Correct earthware mug or tankard?

I have a friend in Walhalla, SC willing and able to make me a glazed earthware cup/tankard in any style I want for a decent price. What I need to know is exactly WHAT an appropriate shape would be.

I don't have access to reliable documentation right now and on-line searches have failed to turn up reliable info. So, I turn to the members of this board for recommendations!

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

I have a friend in Walhalla, SC willing and able to make me a glazed earthware cup/tankard in any style I want for a decent price. What I need to know is exactly WHAT an appropriate shape would be.

I don't have access to reliable documentation right now and on-line searches have failed to turn up reliable info. So, I turn to the members of this board for recommendations!

My thinking would be to check out period paintings showing tavern scenes. I would avoid the old engravings and woodcuts however, as they tend to be rather poor references for detail and size.

>>>>> Cascabel

I guess it depends on the period. I have photos of earthenware tankards used in the buccaneer age - one holds a full two onion bottles of rum in it. But I'm not sure if they looked different in the GAoP. Let me know if you want to see the earlier period pieces.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

If you're willing to risk being a wee bit late, there's an excellent collection of greenware from France, dated to 1758 on the nose. The original shipment was on its way to New France, when the Siege of Louisbourg prevented their arrival, with hints of the fall of Quebec coming the next year. The ship was carefully sunk to protect the cargo of earthenware [greenware]. Discovered recently, a potter here in Canada has begun crafting replicas of the verious items. The provenance is impeccable, but is after GAoP by just a bit. Still, check them out:

http://www.geocities.com/greenware.geo/saintonge.html

In particular the http://www.geocities.com/greenware.geo/chope.gif beer mug might suit.

• 3 weeks later...

ahoy,

i will post pics as i can later this day but here is a site about some of the pottery found at port royal

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/portroyal/slipware/index.html

a basic tankard shape is safe to go with, if it was done before the exact time, chances were the shape was still produced.

ye ship's potter

salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

• 2 months later...

This picture, lifted from eBay, is of a limited edition stein released by Gerz in 1992.

It is a reproduction of an actual stein from 1685.

Bp43owBGkKGrHgoOKkMEjlLmYgTBKsbP4qU.jpg

In addition to Townsend, Smoke & Fire also has some period pieces at which you may want to look. Be sure to check out both the Pottery section and the Salt Glazed Stoneware section.

You might also find this potter's site helpful: Julia Smith.

Edited by Quartermaster James