Ocracoke fireworks explosion

iPirate

OCRACOKE, N.C. (July 4) - Five people working on Independence Day fireworks shows were killed by explosions, four of them by a single blast that rocked this remote village on the Outer Banks.

The blast at Ocracoke came as workers were unloading fireworks Saturday from a truck at the Anchorage Marina, shaking homes and businesses across the southern end of Ocracoke Island and rattling residents and tourists.

Earl Woodham, a spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said agents determined the cause was accidental. ATF will not investigate further, but a workplace safety agency such as the state Labor Department likely will try to find the specific cause, he said.

Dock master Robert Raborn was about 200 yards away from the truck and said the explosion was one of the loudest things he had ever heard.

"It was like 40 minutes worth of fireworks going off in four seconds," Raborn said.

One of the workers died at the scene Saturday and three others died later at area hospitals, including one who died on Sunday, said Hyde County spokeswoman Jamie Tunnell.

Another person was listed in fair condition at the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center at the UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill.

~~~

I can't shake the thought that I wonder if the specter of our old friend Edward had anything to do with this...

Edited by iPirate

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

I, for one, would like to eventually find out what happened. It was ruled an accident, but was it preventable? What can we learn from what happened?

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...