Ostrich egg shell drinking cup

Hi there, I was reading "Un flibustier français dans la mer des antilles" and the author mention that while passing near the coast of Africa, they found ostrich egg shell and that many member of the crew pick some and used them as drinking cup. Pretty neat I think! :) oh, and this is happening around 1618-20....

Edited by Cuisto Mako

Well, that got me curious and I found a few really neat pictures of ostrich egg cups online. One is from 1590, and the other two are 19th Century examples. Although I haven't found any GAoP examples, we've at least got the time period bracketed.

prch1325.jpg

c. 1590

bsj3b-1.jpg

c. 1890

bsj3b-2.jpg

left c. 1812, right c. 1890

Just imagine bringing anything like this to a pirate event!

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Empty Ostrich eggs run about $12 on the web if you wanted to make your own cup from one.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Those pictures are amazing! Wonder how hard it would be to try and do something a bit simpler, but still unique?

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog