Whydah exhibit = AWESOME!!!

:::le sigh:::

Hopefully I can get over there to see it before it's gone.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Yes I must say it is an awesome exhibit but (there's that word again) I have issues with it.

The costuming is soooooooo wrong....... Arrrggghhh! ( a true Pyrate arrrgh at that. :rolleyes: )

Why, why why why why why, must they use boots and waistcoats with collars. Damn it they even used some of Kass' garments....

At least the buckles on the shoes were accurate. Ok another sip of scotch and I good be ok..... Sorry for the rant....

As a side note Bo when were you there? I was just there yesterday. I like the Cincinnati one better.

I saw it in Philly.

Quite amazing to see the artifacts and the exhibit interaction was good, so that even the non-pirate folk get an appreciation for the historic subject.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

there bringin the exibit over to norfolk,va in november im verrrrrrryyyyyy sure ill see it then, and anyone else close by should too

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

I was there on wed. the 1st. I saw MY shortjacket on a manequin in the tavern! I went in street clothes, and still got taken as a pyrate by one of the roving staff in the exhibit;SERIOUSLY! I was wearing a blue bandanna, faded jeans, my Blackbeard crewe t-shirt with cutoff sleeves, and a red/black flannel shirt over that, Altama combat boots, hobbling around on my home-made crutch, and this guy walks over to me and says: "You look like we should sign you right up as a crewman." I 'bout fell over, guess I cannot diguise myself at all. REAL pyrate or what? :P

Two very interesting finds though; the pewter four-tined fork, about 25% bigger than modern flatware, but still the same design, and the shoe insole, crocked and niether square-toe, nor the round toe, but more pointed as a modern shoe appears. Those are the things I looked at as much as ALL THAT SILVER!!!!

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

Yeah I did see that sole. Very interesting, although I have read that the wealthy could have customs lasts made left and right. And it being pointy leads me to believe its from a women's shoe. So that might explain why it looks that way.

Dang I missed the forks. Although I wish I could have taken a picture of the stylus. I'm still trying to figure out how that worked.

when the cewe was asked to come play for the weekend....and we got the private tour....what i found very interesting.....

....was the sawed off musket..... :P ....both the stock as well as the barrel was sawed off..... :P

oh yeah....i want one... :P

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

That woulda been a very big-footed woman though. Considering shrinkage and all, that sole was still big enough for my 9.5 foot.

That brass barreled sawed-off gunne was waaaay cool! I already got a brass blunderbuss, and I'm thinking about cutting down the butt more now myself!

John King made a deep impression on Blondiewench. Our youngest, Warren, is that same age.

So much to talk about!

Bo

• 1 month later...

My favorite inconsistency in the Chicago exhibit: Right next to the display carefully explaining and illustrating Bellamy's flag is the replica stern of the Whydah...flying the wrong flag... ;)

Mmmm flags... tell me more!

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• 2 years later...

My favorite inconsistency in the Chicago exhibit: Right next to the display carefully explaining and illustrating Bellamy's flag is the replica stern of the Whydah...flying the wrong flag... ;)

Flag conversation I love it ^_^

Are people meaning this flag with eyepatch. Ship is nice but flad isn't

Pirates_Whydah.jpg

Being perfectionsit (again) I and (many other) could say someting about accuracy of this Anne Bonny statue :rolleyes: (whatever) (is that real human or doll?). well only that sword is out of the period and sash is just too big and baldrick classic hollywood style.... that is after all museum... I have not visited there unfortunately.....

Pirates_AnnAtPub.jpg

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

We saw the Whydah exhibit when it was in Phoenix. The actual artifacts are really awesome, the presentation tended toward the Howard Pyle Pirate culture. But all in all, a worthwhile visit!

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Any one know when this will come South, esp. to the Atlanta-to-Charlotte area?

There are a number of people I want to see this!

(I saw it in Philly, but WANT to see it again . . .

Thread necromancy at its finest and Mission no where to be found.....

I didn't know the exhibit was in Minnesota. I might have to go see it again!

Thread necromancy at its finest and Mission no where to be found.....

I didn't know the exhibit was in Minnesota. I might have to go see it again!

Swashbuckler is good at that. But, at least they were GOOD threads!

I don't mind that too much.

I still want to see it again. I'd LOVE for them to add Atlanta or Charlotte to their list. Charleston, SC would be extremely appropriate location in the Southeast, as it was in the middle of the actual historical events/period-but I don't see that happening . . .

I don't mind thread necromancy at all! It was just that it is usually Mission doing the resurrection. Now I'm all curious if they fixed the flag gaffe or not...

I don't mind thread necromancy at all! It was just that it is usually Mission doing the resurrection. Now I'm all curious if they fixed the flag gaffe or not...

Flags go on staves,

Sails go on gaffes.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Anyone have the link for the Schedule the Whydah exhibit is keeping. ?

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."