Rum Cake

michaelsbagley

I'm not sure how I've missed this thread so long.

Anyway, what follows is the recipe I have used to great success.

If you've been at any event to which I have brought a rhum cake, this is the one.

It was originally from Southern Living magazine (which has never failed me recipe-wise!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown Sugar-Rum Pound Cakes

Rated: 5 out of 5 by 38 members Yields: 20 servings

"Two toothsome, rum-flavored Bundt cakes, excellent for any occasion."

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1 1/2 cups butter, softened and divided

1 (16 ounce) package light brown sugar

3/4 cup sugar, divided

4 eggs

2/3 cup milk

1/4 cup dark rum

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons light rum

2 tablespoons water

Sweetened whipped cream

(optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. GREASE and flour 2 (6-cup) Bundt pans or 2 (9- x 5-inch) loaf pans, and sprinkle evenly with pecans.

2. BEAT 1 1/4 cups butter at medium speed with an electric mixer about 2 minutes or until creamy. Gradually add brown sugar and 1/4 cup sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.

3. COMBINE milk, dark rum, and vanilla.

4. COMBINE flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.

5. BAKE at 325 degrees F for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes; remove from pans.

6. BRING remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 1/4 cup butter, light rum, and 2 tablespoons water to a boil in a saucepan, and boil, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Drizzle over warm cakes, and cool completely on wire racks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the adventurous foodie, I recommend whipping up some saffron ice cream and praline rhum sauce to take this dessert over the top!

I can vouch for this recipe. It is KILLER good!!! :o

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog