Tales of the Seven Seas Costuming Resources

I've just revised the costuming resources page at Tales of the Seven Seas. Enjoy! If you have any additional resources to add, please post a link the URL (http://www.etc) of the exact page where the item is located on this forum and I'll add it in.

Tales of the Seven Seas Costuming Resources

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

One of the things I noticed (being a seamstress I see these things), is that all the bodices I saw on those sites are made with that real thin boning that bends too easily, and some didn't have any boning whatsoever so there is no support at all.

This may be fine for someone like you Tales who is thin and shapely, but for us gals with gravity on our side, it won't work.

I always use half inch wide, spring steel boning not only where the gromets are for lacing, but I also use a diagonal piece of boning on each side of the bodice for support, so that the material won't crunch up and be uncomfortable.

RumbaRue

**Two wrongs are only the beginning**

I don't have to woory about thin, misshapen boning much. I'm interested in those frock coats starting at $150!

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I would think that since both Rebecca's Renaissance and the Merry Seamstress do custom-tailored work to your specs, that you could probably order the bodice with heavier boning, but they could answer that question for certain.

I agree, that's a nice price on the frock coats! Saber was eyeing them too!

RumbaRue,

I agree with you. . .plastic boning is the worst! Try using 1/2" flat steel bones on the fronts, backs, and the diagonal seams to the side of the bust on your bodices/corsets. The larger flat steel in those spots keeps the shape better than the spiral steel, and gives better bust lift. However, unless you want poked ribs, use the spiral ones on the side seams. :)

The only benefit to plastic boning is that it makes your garment easy to wash in the machine. Steel bones have a tendency to rust. . .

-J

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

One of the things I noticed (being a seamstress I see these things), is that all the bodices I saw on those sites are made with that real thin boning that bends too easily, and some didn't have any boning whatsoever so there is no support at all.

This may be fine for someone like you Tales who is thin and shapely, but for us gals with gravity on our side, it won't work.

I always use half inch wide, spring steel boning not only where the gromets are for lacing, but I also use a diagonal piece of boning on each side of the bodice for support, so that the material won't crunch up and be uncomfortable.

RumbaRue

**Two wrongs are only the beginning**

Hey Rumba contact Carie's Bodices Everyone is costom made to your size.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I can't speak for the bodices made by The Very Merry Seamstress, but the ones made by Rebecca's Renaissance are metal. I don't know what else is in there because it's inside the fabric. You'd have to email her for details. Definitely not plastic.

Good boning goes before the grommets, so that when lacing, nothing gets scrunched up.

I still saw thin boning used in those bodices that are made by Claires Bodices.

I might add, a bodice that someone gave me was real tight too, like the one Claire was talking about on her site. I too ended up with a fractured rib because of it. Comfort is the key. If you can't breath, or move easily about, it's too tight!

The metal boning shouldn't rust if it's been properly covered with the white coating it comes with.

RumbaRue

**Eyes like an eagle** :huh:

Why does my boning always wind up rusting? Even the white-covered ones, i.e. flat bones get rust on the sides where the plastic sheathing wears off. Unfortunately, I prefer using spiral boning for most of my corset clients (except for back and front seams) so I'm always telling them to dry clean, or wash with care. The worst part is taking the corset apart to make adjustments a year or two into its life, and pulling out the bones to find they've rusted all along the inside of the fabric. *sigh*

Rumba, you're the second person in two days who has said that they broke a rib wearing a bodice or corset! I've been wearing corsets for years and can't imagine how tight they'd have to be to do that. Yipes! Generally, if I can't breathe while standing, they're toooooo tight. Sitting is another matter, and sitting in a car . . . How tight was the bodice you were wearing?

Eeep. My sympathies on your bodice injury. :(

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

I might add, a bodice that someone gave me was real tight too, like the one Claire was talking about on her site. I too ended up with a fractured rib because of it.

Yeeeeooowwwch!

Avast, ye limey lubber! Didn't ye think if Scarlet Jenny (Cutthroat Lass, Scourge o' the Seas, Deadly Duchess o' the Deep) hated ye, ye'd be sliced, skinned an' sunk to Davey Jones' locker? Aaaar! Ye would, and ye'd better start believin' it

If you can't breath, or move easily about, it's too tight!

I had me a goilfriend once, her corset was so tight on her, that I couldn't breathe! Oi!

B)

Arrgh! Now that's tight!

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Aye!!!! A pox upon th' medical misfits an' feminist fleabags who deamed the corset out o' style an' unfit for human habitation!!

Resultin' unoffical poll-takin' shows 9 out o' 10 wenches an' pirates surveyed agree- The corset be a damn fine invention! :)

Me recommendation, based on years o' trial n' error, be that wenches call upon their favored pirate fer a healthful massage o' said achey areas, fer there be numerous health benefits, to both said parrrrrties....

What say ye t' THAT, eh?!! :(

Me recommendation, based on years o' trial n' error, be that wenches call upon their favored pirate fer a healthful massage o' said achey areas, fer there be numerous health benefits, to both said parrrrrties....

Well gee, the parts a man can get to, are those two that do grow miraculously into two budding melons when a woman wears a nice bodice; they could always use a good massage. :ph34r:

It's the only time they get ta make an appearance, course occasionally, one or both get a bit ansy, and want ta make a break for freedom, thereby indulging the males with a nice treat or teat, dependin' on what one be thinkin' at the time.

Course I must say, wearin' a bodice does well for me back, and supports me throughout the day, but when I take the thing off- the pain then does set in, givin' me a nasty backache. Ah but that's due to me medical problems (my spine is completely fused all the way up and down - scoliosis), so unfortunately there be no cure, 'cept for a hefty pain pill and (some nice herbal if'n I got it) rest.

RumbaRue

** :ph34r: **

Lass;

Thank ye for the wonderful information on yer site. I did notice the absence of hatcrafters in your hat section. their address is www.hatcrafters.com . On pages 5A and 5B there are several tricorns and period headgear to choose from.

:ph34r:

Barbados Jack

**** When daylight fades, Darkness prevails****

** Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez **

" We sail within a vast sphere, Ever drifting in uncertainty, Driven from end to end"

- Pascal-

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, GREAT resources! I'm very glad I have this now; it's going under my favoritres. I even found a place that I think I will have make my prom dress! I'm trying to decide between my original idea of a customized Maleficent gown (Yes, from Sleeping Beauty), or something pretty and piratical. I want to stun, becuase that's just how I am.

Captain Wolfy Wench

• 3 months later...

<_< Very Merry Seamstress, here! - I just needed to let you folks know that *all* of my bodices are constucted with 1/2" coated and capped steel boning - I *never* use plastic boning. The ends are tipped with a metal cap designed specifically for steel boning.

Just wanted to make sure everyone understand that I *don't* use plastic boning in my bodices - only steel. Previous commentary made reference to the pictured bodices using plastic boning - and I wanted to assure people that I, personally, do not use it in my bodices. :lol:

Heather

Your Very Verry Seamstress

Very Merrily,

Heather