My Black Trunk Was In A Movie!

Rumba Rue

I always had a suspicion that my big black trunk was in the movie "The Greatest

Show On Earth" and lo and behold it was!

I just caught the movie last night and there it was in a scene where a guy was

throwing clothes into it. It was a very quick shot, but I definitely saw the lid

and the decor around the edges.

I originally bought the trunk at a thrift store in L.A. and the guy had just put

it out and told me he got it at the MGM auction years ago, but had no idea if it

had been used in a movie or not.

Well now I have proof which makes the trunk a whole lot more valuable.

Rumba

bigtrunk.jpg

Documentation goes along way..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Jeez, Rumba, that thing looks like it weighs a ton! LOL It's really awesome, though, even better now that you have provenance on it.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

It is very heavy. We have it on wheels so it's easier to move. The original tiny wheels are still on the bottom, but useless.

I have brought it out to many events, but because it's become a problem moving it, (the wheels have broken off more than once because of holes and rough ground) because it is so big and takes up a lot of room in the car.

Sell it, are you crazy? NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!! No bribes either! :angry:

Tis a fabulous truck, Rumba. Nice.... very nice... and all the more special of where it came from. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Anyways, that is a neat trunk and nifty that you know can prove its use in a movie.

Based on the common reuse of props in the 1920-1960s (some for the whole period and some still), I wonder if it was also used in other films too.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Honestly, I've watched numerous movies done by MGM hoping to see it, but never have. I've waited almost 20 years for the moving 'The Greatest Show On Earth' to come to a time when I could see it again since I hadn't seen the movie since I was a kid. That's a long hell of a wait to get documentation!

Now I will start to do further digging regarding the movie to see if I can actually find a picture of the thing in a still shot.

I have no movie featured trunk, but I *was* present at the making of a major motion picture...no pyrates in it, tho. It was when we were in Germany, up on the wall of Rothenburg (obT), looking down on one of the stadtplatzes, and we saw a very strange man indeed, all dressed in black, being filmed by, presumably, other very strange people. We had no idea what was going on, of course, but we found out later they were filming a scene of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"...and the guy in black was the Child-Catcher General.

Damn, thats sharp!