Cocked Hats Backwards

Mr.Tignor

Fantasy Voodoo??? Now hold on a second... I thought we were discussing pc based on the pictures posted.... :unsure:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Sterling and I wear ours all the time.

That's right! I even go "swimming" in mine! So's I've got ye all beat...

Seriously though...if anyone ever comes across some period account as to why folks were wearing the hats backwards, please post it... at least we have the drawings...so Mr. Merriweather can proceed with wearing his arsebackwards...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Sterling and I wear ours all the time.

That's right! I even go "swimming" in mine! So's I've got ye all beat...

:unsure: It seems to me you tripped at PiP...

I'm actually afraid to get my Patrick Hand original wet...although I've been told it won't hurt it.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

One thing I was told about while doing French & Indian War reenacting many years ago was that it kept sparks from your musket from landing in your hat and catching fire especially if it had been waxed to make it waterproof ....not sure how true that is or if that was some superstition passed along by reenactors to recruits.... :unsure::huh::huh: That was what I was told of it about 35 years ago anyway

:unsure: I don't know about protecting your hat, but it doesn't do a dang thing to protect your face from powder burns. I got my first initiation at Nor Cal, when a piece of the quill blew back and stuck to my face right in front of my left ear. Thought I was being stung by a bee, but then I got my "Duh" moment, and swiped it away. A little Gold Bond Aloe Vera lotion for a few days cleared it right up. Don't think that would do much good on a hat, though. :huh:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

IMG_2632.jpg

This is before period but still a good example... :unsure:

Well Ok ~ I'll stop monkeying around on ye serious discussion Mr. Sterling..

Eye just couldn't resist the temptation.. So Eye will just read this thread from here on out.

Eye would like to see a few more historic pics too about how a hat was worn..

I cling to originality of the person wearing the hat to express ones self. The use of fire arms is

a pretty strong explanation too.

IMG_2236-1.jpg

Oderlesseye at the Haunted Head Saloon drinkin his Rum with his hat on Backwards..

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

One thing I was told about while doing French & Indian War reenacting many years ago was that it kept sparks from your musket from landing in your hat and catching fire especially if it had been waxed to make it waterproof ....not sure how true that is or if that was some superstition passed along by reenactors to recruits.... :unsure::huh::huh: That was what I was told of it about 35 years ago anyway

I can't say for F&I but when you are firing a matchlock you get sparks (actually pieces of burning match) blown all over. If you have any synthetic fabric on then it will have a hole melted in it. I've seem people wearing extra match on their bandoleer have the match lit this way.

If you are wearing a cocked hat with a matchlock then the military way of firing was to touch the brim of your hat to your musket stock to protect your face (soldiers don't aim, anyway). As someone else pointed out, the hat is cocked on the left side so it doesn't get in the way when you shoulder your piece.

Mark

dear me, there seem to a number of possible reasons(and alot of big hats! lol). I thank you guys for the photos, for i was really wondering if anyone else actually did it. hhuuuummm i think i might have to make a trip to colonial williamsburg, see what their historians have to say on the matter(youd be surprised how much they like to talk...or...mabey you wouldnt....)

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

I'll raise ye on that hat wager. :unsure: and yes, it's a massive challenge to keep th' hat on one's head.

I'm sure there are many practicalities to this fashion.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

:blink: It seems to me you tripped at PiP...

I'm actually afraid to get my Patrick Hand original wet...although I've been told it won't hurt it.

Aye tripped at PiP, it blew in at Deltaville, I was thrown in later, then I and it were thrown in at Pohick... hmmm I see a pattern emerging here...

odds are the Hand Hat would survive, but I sure wouldn't want to have to reblock it...

Crewe of the Archangel

Here's some "backass" reference I've found:

scottishpiratealexander.th.jpg

Scottish pirate Alexander Selkirk from I believe, the GAOP, but not sure.

151704calvery.th.jpg

The calvary even get into the game. 1704 look to the right

1710x.th.jpg

At least three of Woodes Roger's men sporting the gang signs.

88820018.th.jpg

A little outside the GAOP... just a wee bit.

casparluyken170307.jpg

and just for the hell of it - THIS IS a HAT! Caspar Luyken 1703

Whew... I'm tired....

Edited by Mooseworth

ihtcbanner.jpg

A hearty thank you Mr.Mooseworth, very helpful indeed, and new to my eyes! I just wish one of them showed why..... I asked one of the professors at William and Mary who specializes in 18th century history, and he couldnt ascertain why it was done(but he knew it was), he said hell get back to me lol.....

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

A hearty thank you Mr.Mooseworth, very helpful indeed, and new to my eyes! I just wish one of them showed why..... I asked one of the professors at William and Mary who specializes in 18th century history, and he couldnt ascertain why it was done(but he knew it was), he said hell get back to me lol.....

Why do some people wear their pants around their knees? While there may have been an actual functional reason, I myself believe (no real proof) that we have seen so many minute men that we think the point in front is "the correct" way. Just as we may think a baseball cap brim is supposed to point forward. Based on the number of ways hats were cocked and further the sheer number of style of hats, I may surmise that it was just another way to wear a hat. Not right nor wrong. Possibly born out of a reason, but evidently sailors weren't the only ones doing it.

ihtcbanner.jpg