Watercraft

There really isn't a forum dedicated to just watercraft, so I thought I'd try asking here, as well as in the thread in Crowsnest.

I have a feller wants to trade a boat for some welding. I really don't need anymore projects right now, but this looks like a solid craft. It is a McKenzie Drift Boat, these were developed in the 1940's for drift-fishing the whitewater of the McKenzie river. They're getting more popular here in Missouri among the trout anglers on our swift rivers. I don't know enough about hull design to decide if I can make her sail without some massive leeboards. I don't have a photo, but did some search on-line and found the general history and specifics. Anyone know anything about these boats? Thanx

(forgot the link) http://www.mckenzieriverdriftboat.com/

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

There really isn't a forum dedicated to just watercraft, so I thought I'd try asking here, as well as in the thread in Crowsnest.

I have a feller wants to trade a boat for some welding. I really don't need anymore projects right now, but this looks like a solid craft. It is a McKenzie Drift Boat, these were developed in the 1940's for drift-fishing the whitewater of the McKenzie river. They're getting more popular here in Missouri among the trout anglers on our swift rivers. I don't know enough about hull design to decide if I can make her sail without some massive leeboards. I don't have a photo, but did some search on-line and found the general history and specifics. Anyone know anything about these boats? Thanx

(forgot the link) http://www.mckenzieriverdriftboat.com/

Bo

you lookin to trade her?..sell her?...or modifier so you can use her??

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I haven't decided on whether or not to do this, as the welding project is pretty intense, (a boat dock/slip damaged in the last storms) and I still have work to do on the septic, the fireplace, etc. If I do this, I'd want to fit her for sail though. If anyone with knowledge of boat design could give a thumbs up or down, that will help me decide if it's a reasonable thing to do. Thanks.

Bo

I went and looked over the dock this morning, and I just won't have time to do it. It pulled lose from the shore mooring, drifted sideways bending the walkway, then it flipped over and twisted the frame. I told him he needs to forget trying to save that one, and get ahold of his insurance company to replace it, this one is scrap. Maybe he will find someone willing, but I think it's trashed, and I'm a white-trash scavenger/recycler from waaay back.

Thanks.

Bo

Aye Cap'n, unless you be in love with her boats be a might big project. O'course I should be the last one talkin', but in my case it was love at first sight. :unsure:

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

I already waste too much time on this damn machine, I sure don't need another forum!!! LoL

Anyway, I read some more on the design, and I think that if a sail is used, it will just spin in circles as it is designed to do drift-fishing in swift current. The rocker is way too extreme without a deep centerboard/daggerboard. Leeboards wouldn't help that much.

I'll wait til the right one comes along.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

• 3 months later...

My experience with boats is that they are built for one specific purpose or another. Those that are built as multipurpose are less than desireable at each. A boat that is built for one purpose and used for another is inferior to a multipurpose boat.

D.B. Couper