You are shipwrecked! Part 8

Jib

You have seen sails on both the Eastern and Western horizon. Both sets come toward your island. Although you can investigate both beaches you will only meet one landing party.

If you choose the Western beach you arrive to see the Dutch return. They appear in two long boats and make for the western shore of your island. They appear heavily armed with muskets ready. Both long boats are full of naked African slaves chained together.

Wisely you hide and watch the long boats arrive. The slaves are roughly ushered out of the boats and released from the iron fetters that bind them. A barrel of what looks to be water is also placed on the shore line. The Dutch sailors say something to the Africans in their native tongue that has them look into the forest with dread and fear. If you engaged the Dutch slavers in combat you have a strong feeling about what they could suggest. You count twenty male slaves, malnourished, and covered in filth and sores. The Dutch then leave your island. You know they will return for their precession human cargo in a few days. With the island surrounded by sharks you know the slaves will not risk swimming away.

If you choose to go the Eastern beach you see a group of Europeans rowing ashore in a single long boat. After your experience with the Dutch you hide and watch as they arrive. Upon reaching the shore you see a group of eight forced physically out of the long boat at sword point. These men and women struggle in the surf to the shore with a few meager possessions. You count six adult men and two adult women. By the garb they wear you can guess they are of the merchant class. You see the fear in their faces and hear them speak in Portuguese to each other. What you manage to hear and understand sounds like they are being marooned. Meanwhile the long boat returns to a square rigged trade galleon anchored out beyond the reef.

After watching one group you travel to see the other. Both groups of people slowly and fearfully begin to explore the island. You know it is only a matter of time before they discover you and your camp. You ponder this thought for awhile and decide that one or both of these groups could help form a new crew. You know the Dutch will return. With a little luck you could surprise them and take the ship. The question is, which group (or both) do you approach?

I'll go to the eastern crew... if we can communicate well enough, find out their story and maybe we can get it together, see what we can do to get off the island, maybe on a captured ship. Feed them if there's time so we're all strong enough to fight if needed.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I headed to the eastern beach. Portuguese merchants. Not much of a fighting force to take back the vessel they were booted from. Assuming they were overtaken by pirates. Struggling in the surf, I again assume they are not used to a landing by sea but by wharf alone. I leave them.

Heading to the west beach, I watch the slaves. I take my canteen and several fruits to them. Using my canteen, I dip fresh water for each of them. My plan is to use them to overtake the Dutch when they return.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."