Driving to PIP

William, Virginia is a bit out of your way, but if you need a place to crash for a day or two to recoup, the door is always open.

Thanks for the offer. It's actually not so far out of the way, but I'm shooting for locations that I've never been before this time around. If we can secure the RV for this trip, I'm very open to driving to Hampton or Lockhouse next year, so I might beg a stop-over then.

With so many offers I might consider different houses for different trips. Perhaps staying at Mooseworth's on the way down and at Jack's on the way back. I'm seriously considering a trip to New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Houston and so forth on the way back.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Anyone who is thinking of using Tampa as a stop over.... We just fixed our schedule. The wife and I will be driving down on November 28th. We'll be setting up camp December 1st, the first set up day.

We live in Ybor City, the historic Tampa. We live in the middle of what might be described as a little Duval or Bourbon Street. Ybor and Tampa is also quite big on Pirates (more of the fantasy variety). We even have a pirate theme bar right down the street. So if any of you are swinging this way prior to us leaving on the 28th, you are welcome to hang here.

ihtcbanner.jpg

William, Virginia is a bit out of your way, but if you need a place to crash for a day or two to recoup, the door is always open.

Thanks for the offer. It's actually not so far out of the way, but I'm shooting for locations that I've never been before this time around. If we can secure the RV for this trip, I'm very open to driving to Hampton or Lockhouse next year, so I might beg a stop-over then.

With so many offers I might consider different houses for different trips. Perhaps staying at Mooseworth's on the way down and at Jack's on the way back. I'm seriously considering a trip to New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Houston and so forth on the way back.

That's cool! I'm replacing our old septic tank and I'm adding an RV hook-up while I'm at it! You may be the first to try it out, (unless we go with the plans to move a trailer in for my son).

Bo

• 2 months later...

Because of this thread regarding the transport of Mission's friend Becky...

Hopefully Callenish will see this...

But if I can't go (and I still very much hope to make it), Callenish is the closest to me who I know is driving, and I am in Pittsburgh enough that I am sure I can get it to him between when I expect to find out one way or another and the time he will be leaving (some time in November). Ya know, this might be a good queue to revive the "Driving to PiP" thread, as there are others that may need help with similar situations. I will repost this there (sorry for the duplication). ^_^

Michael_banner.jpg

Well, if I gotta' send her via the mail, I almost have to take her when I come down there for the Santa Maria gig. As much I love Becky, I do not want to make a special trip to Columbus just so I can spend another $100 to box and ship her down to Key West.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

As crazy as it sounds, we're seriously considering the long drive to PIP. We're talking two full days of driving with one good night's sleep in between. Why would we even consider it? One, no luggage restrictions. Two, cheaper to drive a family than to fly them. Three, it's just too crazy not to be considered. Life is short.

One of the considered courses would take us through Laramie, Lincoln, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chattanooga, Atlanta and Gainesville. Is there anyone along that route willing to feed and shelter a few crazy, tired PIP runners?

Who else is driving this year? Sound off! We need to figure out our combined miles for PIP.

I'm painting PIP or bust on the car.

Driving from Jacksonville, FL. Haven't decided the when as yet, hopefully on the 28th.

For those driving to PIP before the Fort Taylor Pirate Festival begins, please keep in mind that camping in the Fort begins on the 1st. You will have to find other accommodation's until then. There are plenty of activities to attend before the FTPF begins so do come early and enjoy the fun.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I am driving again this year, but much like last year my time is woefully limited. Last time around, it was because I had to defend my thesis on the day I arrived. Which was actually great fun in a strange sense. I spent the first half of the day as a nervous wreck, waiting to stand before the board including the dean and department chair to defend my research...and then spent the evening driving to key west utterly exhilarated to be OFFICIALLY DONE with my masters degree. YAY!

This time around, totally different story. I haven't taken a vacation that last more than a long weekend since 2002. I was lucky enough to get hired directly from grad school by the agency I did my last clinical rotation with - and in an effort to avoid burnout, they let those in my profession accrue vacation time right away. So, November 11 - 28, I shall be IN IRELAND! Which will be incredible and I will be driving all over the emerald isle all by myself and I CANNOT WAIT! Alas, this also means that I will be sucking dry all my accrued vacation time and will have non left over for PiP, which is the very next weekend.

So, once again, I will be driving down Friday evening and leaving Sunday afternoon. I wish I could spend more time with you fair folks and next year I plan on having a few free days so that I can spend about a week down there in the Keys with everyone!

Now, I just need to get ahold of some Ron Atlantico private cask....

Right, so as of now, the plan is to work at Jamestown over Thanksgiving, leave first thing Monday AM and drive to KW, arriving late Tuesday. The one thing that tweeks me about this is the causeway down through the keys. Bridges and causeways give me the heebie jeebies. I've heard tell of ferries that go from the mainland to KW, but what I'm seeing seem to be passenger only. Are there any car ferries that leave from anywhere in FL?

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I have never heard of a car ferry from the mainland to Key West, and I've researched a lot of strange ways to get there. I don't know where such a ferry would dock, to be honest. I would guess it would almost have to be somewhere on Stock Island if there was one.

Most visitors find a car in Key West as more of a liability than a boon, so I there may not be significant demand for a public car ferry. Besides, the highway is nice and wide. (Now if you had been driving with all your stuff before 1982 when the highway was a narrow thing built atop of the old railroad with nothing but the yellow line separating the lanes, I would have probably wanted to take a car ferry too.)

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg