You are shipwrecked! Part 7

Jib

You discover strange Dutch sailors on the beach near your camp. You have decided how to interact with them.

If you call out and approach them they turn quickly and give each other strange looks. You get the feeling they thought the island was uninhabited. One of them speaks to you in broken Spanish motioning for you to join them. The rest give you greasy smiles. Then you see that they have a nice set of rusty iron manacles and loaded pistols pointed directly at you. You decide to make a quick break for the tree line. You hear a pistol shot and feel the sting of a bullet as it cuts into your back and the base of your neck. You take one wound (remember maximum of three wounds and your bones are bleaching on the island!) Bleeding you hide in amid the ferns and fronds. The Dutchmen track you all day and into the dusk when they finally return to the fluyt. When you return to your camp you discover it destroyed.

If you attack them you manage to kill five in the melee that follows but take two wounds in the combat and are forced to flee into the forest (remember that the maximum of three wounds is all you can take before you meet with the Grim Reaper). The Dutchmen track you all day and into the dusk when they finally return to the fluyt. When you return to your camp you discover it destroyed. The next morning the Dutchmen return with ten fresh men all armed with muskets, pistols, and long knives. They again track you all day and into the dusk. You manage to surprise one of them and kill him gaining a musket with 6 rounds of shot, a pistol and 6 rounds of shot, and a long knife. The sailor also has eight silver coins on his person and some foul clothing. The Dutch continue to hunt you for week before they loose interest and leave. Meanwhile your wounds start to fester.

If you sneak up on the Dutchmen and attempt to steal from them you manage to get into the shallows and approach the long boat from the water. You reach into the long boat and remove a doglock blunderbuss covered in an oil skin tarp and 8 rounds of shot. You also manage to pilfer an empty canteen. You imagine that the Dutch are looking for fresh water on your island. You also get the feeling that these men are slavers. After a few hours these men leave, never the wiser to your theft!

If you choose to sit back and watch you see that the Dutch sailors are looking for water. Since your island doesn’t have any large sources they leave after a few hours. You also get the feeling that these men are slavers.

If you consulted your creepy rosary or have the parrot for a companion both sources indicate that these men are dangerous. You sit in the tree line and watch the Dutch sailors are looking for water. Since your island doesn’t have any large sources they leave after a few hours. You also get the feeling that these men are slavers. They leave after a few hours.

After the Dutch have left your island you try to return to normal. You might need to rebuild your camp and you certainly know that this island might just be as dangerous as the open sea. You also know that you will have to leave this island and soon.

Two weeks pass and late one afternoon you see a sail on horizon. No wait! You see two sails. One comes from the Western horizon the direction the Dutch left. The other ship comes from the East. With the island in the middle of these ships it is apparent to you that they will not see each others approach. To which beach do you go to see the landing party arrive? East or West?

If you sneak up on the Dutchmen and attempt to steal from them you manage to get into the shallows and approach the long boat from the water. You reach into the long boat and remove a doglock blunderbuss covered in an oil skin tarp and 8 rounds of shot. You also manage to pilfer an empty canteen. You imagine that the Dutch are looking for fresh water on your island. You also get the feeling that these men are slavers. After a few hours these men leave, never the wiser to your theft!

Phew. I hate the Dutch.

Can I keep the tarp?

After the Dutch have left your island you try to return to normal. You might need to rebuild your camp and you certainly know that this island might just be as dangerous as the open sea. You also know that you will have to leave this island and soon.

Two weeks pass and late one afternoon you see a sail on horizon. No wait! You see two sails. One comes from the Western horizon the direction the Dutch left. The other ship comes from the East. With the island in the middle of these ships it is apparent to you that they will not see each others approach. To which beach do you go to see the landing party arrive? East or West?

I am assuming that the Dutch are in the process of going to offload the slaves, hence they have stopped for water on their way into port. Otherwise they would refill at the offload port. Thus, I am assuming that I am on one of the islands further to the east of the Caribbean. Likewise I can hazard a guess that whomever is heading east is full of, more than likely, rum. Not hearing cannon shot, nor anything to point to the fact that the Dutch encountered an enemy as they sailed away, I would again hazard a guess that whomever the Dutch met were/are allies.

Not liking my odds with the previous Dutch, I head to the East beach to watch the landing party arrive.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

So, I sat back and watched them... Since I got the impression they are slavers, I let them go on their way, none the wiser...

Two ships heading for my wee island, eh?

I feel the same as Pew, I'll take my chances with the ship coming from the east...

Watch 'em well and if they're any signs of the Dutch Flag, I'll make my way to see about the Western ship, again being very wary...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org