The Sea Kings

I've just been reading William Goldman's book "Which Lie Did I Tell?" the second volume of his "adventures in the screen trade." Goldman wrote such nifty items as "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "Marathon Man" and "The Princess Bride." In the 80s he was on top of a string of hits and had a three-movie deal with a producer. One of hisscripts, approved and green-lighted, was called "The Sea Kings." It was to be about Blackbeard and Stede Bonnet. For the usual Hollywood reasons (primarily budget) the movie and the other two never got made and Goldman went into a leper period when he couldn't sell anything. By the time he was back on his feet epic movies were out and he figured "Cutthroat Island" killed the pirate genre forever. The book was published in 2000. I wonder if the success of POTC and the revival of epic movies generally will make him change his mind. We can always hope.

Aye matey he should be a buffoon NOT to try right now.

Look at how much Sci Fi and high spfx adventure came out, in movies, on tv, after Star Wars. The stuff was everywhere. POTC was HUGE!

Its definitely the right time now to weigh anchor on the whole thing! :lol:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Goldman loves to write about odd couples: Butch & Sundance, Robin & Marian, and so forth. His idea about Stede & Blackbeard was that Stede was a rich planter who seemed to have everything but hated his life, loved the idea of piracy and wanted a life of adventure. Blackbeard had had all the adventure in the world and wanted to make a big score and retire as a rich man. Each had the life the other desired. I don't know where Goldman wanted to go with this but we can be sure that the guy who wrote The Princess Bride would have made it a fun trip.

Course Teach also royally screwed Stede who wasn't too wise in the ways of the sea. I don't think Teach liked or respected Stede much at all, but saw him as a means to an end. (mainly getting a free ship). Unfortunately for Stede he was arrested and hung before he could get revenge on Blackbeard. Which he was planning to do, I've been told.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

:lol: Well hey thats usually what makes a GREAT movie.

How many historically based movies really "told it like it was" verbatim?

Theres a lot he could "work with here" to make it a great film and keep it well in history. How COULD the forum write him?

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>