sleeved waistcoat...

Well, I began working on this a couple months ago and haven't taken much time to work on it. But... here is a halfway picture of the sleeved waistcoat I'm working on that looks somewhat like the one from the V & A museum. Granted mine is not in silk, but it's as close as I could come and afford.

justacorpsgold.jpg

*shown with cotton shirt and black pantaloons

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Was hoping to have it finished to wear it to a new pirate festival this weekend. But not sure.

The armpits are open like the real one but I don't think I'm going to line this one. I thought about it but decided not to.

Can someone suggest some very light weight items to use for buttons? Oh, wait! Sterling, didn't I read that right they used cardboard for cloth buttons, too? Or just a wad of cotton to make small cloth buttons? Any ideas. I have plenty of scrap fabric left to make fabric buttons.

~Lady B

Was hoping to have it finished to wear it to a new pirate festival this weekend. But not sure.

The armpits are open like the real one but I don't think I'm going to line this one. I thought about it but decided not to.

Can someone suggest some very light weight items to use for buttons? Oh, wait! Sterling, didn't I read that right they used cardboard for cloth buttons, too? Or just a wad of cotton to make small cloth buttons? Any ideas. I have plenty of scrap fabric left to make fabric buttons.

~Lady B

I found little wooden rounds at michaels that I used for thread covered buttons, they are super light. I also used nylon washers from Home Depot. Those are REALLY lightweight and also cheap, maybe 60 cents for a package.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks great! I have a waistcoat simular to the color and pattern of yours but haven't found any buttons I like for it yet. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about covered buttons, NC.

The waistcoat has taken the way backburner; I haven't gotten much farther with it than what you see above (unfortunately). Lord knows when I will wear it.

~Lady B