Would the Real Torguga Please Stand Up?

Bilgemunky

My lovely wife (God bless her) was researching a way to suprise me with a sailing trip to Torguga for my birthday. It won't happen this year unfortunately, just couldn't make all the factors work out.

Once she knew for certain it wouldn't happen, she went ahead and told me (I'd known something was up, just didn't know what). While looking at maps and discussion the itinerary she was thinking of, things weren't adding up.

I know of Tortuga as that island just off the north coast of Haiti, but the trip she had in mind was just off the coast of Venezuela - near the island of Margarita. I figured she must have been mistaked, but in looking at a different map - sure enough - there was an island named La Tortuga just off of Venezuela.

Are there two? Which is the impostor?

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Yes, there is a Tortuga island off the Main. But the one famous for being a pirate haven back in the day is L'Ile de la Tortue (or in Spanish, Tortuga), the island north of Haiti.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Don't be havin an Atlas in front of me, but I be guessin that if the one off of Venezuela says "La Tortuga" then its strictly referred to as LaTortuga, and the one off Haiti is just "Tortuga" The presence and absence of the La, makes a big difference in Espanol.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I be guessin that if the one off of Venezuela says "La Tortuga" then its strictly referred to as LaTortuga, and the one off Haiti is just "Tortuga"  The presence and absence of the La, makes a big difference in Espanol.

Not really. "Tortuga" is Spanish for "turtle," whether or not there's a "la" (which means "the") in front of it. On maps, you will see the island north of Haiti referred to as either Tortuga or Tortue (French for "turtle").

Melusine de la Mer

It's depraved! It's dangerous! It's hostile! It's....Spanish for turtle! ARR!!!!

Yep, those turtles are dangerous they are, they are :)

Now..all the sudden I want some picture of a turtle wearing pirate gear.

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

It's depraved! It's dangerous! It's hostile! It's....Spanish for turtle! ARR!!!!

Yep, those turtles are dangerous they are, they are :)

Now..all the sudden I want some picture of a turtle wearing pirate gear.

Ye ask and ye shall receive !!! Here ye go sweetie.

turtle.jpg

Wartooth

Yah I know about the La meaning and all.

I thought maybe the two islands referred to were different by one being Tortuga and the other strictly LaTortuga. You do see the La and the other forms (El, Las, and Los) used alot for geographical locations.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Ok WHERE CAN I GET ME ONE A THOSE!! :lol:

Yeah, Me too. Where can I get one of em!?

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I thought maybe the two islands referred to were different by one being Tortuga and the other strictly LaTortuga.

Nope. I've seen both islands referred to as simply "Tortuga." It's not unusual for names to be trimmed.

Melusine de la Mer

Nope. I've seen both islands referred to as simply "Tortuga." It's not unusual for names to be trimmed.

Gotcha. So are they (or at least one of them) part of different countries, kinda like how you have two towns of the same nam but they are in 2 different states?

Also - COME ON WARTOOTH SHARE WITH US!! WHERE CAN YE GETTUM??

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

So are they (or at least one of them) part of different countries...? 

Yes, Ile de la Tortue, the island north of Haiti is part of Haiti. Isla la Tortuga off Venezuela is part of Venezuela. It is west of Margarita, which was famous for its pearl beds around the buccaneering era.

The pirate haven of history is Ile de la Tortue, AKA familiarly as Tortuga, so named because from a distance, its shape resembles a turtle. It was to here that the buccaneers were driven from Saint-Domingue, and later from where they were wooed by Port Royal, Jamaica.

Melusine de la Mer

Thanks so much M'lovely lass. That clears it all up for me.

(Captain Tito bows to Pirate Queen and gently kisses her hand in gratitude and all due respect) :D

Thanks also to ye Black Deacon for finding those cool steins.

Unfortunately the doubloons be runnin a bit dry this time of year to do something about em. :(

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>