Pyrate Home Improvements

Ransom

We have tons of threads for PC projects and garb, but what about all those fun things we do for our house and yard/garden that have nothing to do with pyracy? For example...

A room redecoration project.

Furniture rehabing or painting

Landscaping ideas.

Garden projects, both veggie and flower.

Tips you want to share about finds or methods of construction.

Basically anything you're working on or have completed that you want to show off that isn't pyrate related.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

When my wife and I get the time, we are going to redecorate our old Pop Up Tent trailer with a Pirate ship theme.

Kilted Eric

the Skirted River Pirate

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea. - From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

When we get to start working on that, I will be calling to you folks for advice. This will be more Hollywood / Silly Pirate than PC.

In my minds eye, I picture it painted to look like a boat, and when it is popped up as well. One thing I want is an anchor, but I am thinking foam core rather than metal (lighter).

Kilted Eric

the Skirted River Pirate

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea. - From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Well, hubby and I are trying to BUY a house. They happen to be difficult to commandeer =)

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Well, hubby and I are trying to BUY a house. They happen to be difficult to commandeer =)

Well there are several house in my neighborhood, but I also live in Seattle. Ever consider the west coast!

Kilted Eric

the Skirted River Pirate

Well, my parents just moved into a new house (needs a LOT of work). And I've been trying to convince my mom to let me take on the project of decorating the Guest Rooms. I've a couple ideas in mind such as Roman/Venician shades with some sheers and valances. The one room I wanted to paint in a deep royal blue but they say no.. so, perhaps a soft sky blue or colonial cornflower blue. A full size bed in one guest room and two twins in the other (which is most likely the room the girls will be in when they visit). So... lots of ideas still milling about.

At least some of the main floor (as it's a two story) is done with new carpet (ouch price) and walls repainted (from the God-aweful antique white and some 80's floral wallpaper that will make you barf!). The dining room has the original hardwood floors and the original wood molding is white which goes with the new color of two shades of green - one is called Intense Oliver the other is Bonkers with a nice soft, narrow border that is at waistheight around the room with a lovely ceiling fan in the center. And again, that's just the dining room.

Place is nice, but still needs lots of work.

::Crossing fingers in hopes to decorate the guest rooms::

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

getting the final details worked out for the deck on the back of the house... tear down the old POS the p.o. stapled and glued together and called a screened in porch... will be a very nice refreshing change on a number of accounts !!

i'll try to find some old photos of what it used to look like before we tore down half of it... maybe do some before and after pics when we're all done...

first set of kitchen cabinets almost paid for, shed is nearly done ( have to finish the interior ), and then work on rebuilding the foundation and wall for the garage !!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the latest room in my Art Project House is now pretty well complete...

The Key West-Themed Dining Room

Now to finish the Delorean-Themed Kitchen...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 3 months later...

Minor kitchen rehab — simple you say. NOT!!!!!

Week one — I lose my working kitchen.

First, remove old sink & faucette and buy a new ones. Okay, that was easy.

*Have counter people install new counter tops. They break one. We have to reorder and wait four days.Finally, new countertops in. Guy says he won't drop the sink in place because he has a bad back (it's a heavy Kholer enamel sink). He shoved the old stove out into the middle of the kitchen and left it there...bad back.

*Husband has to call a friend to help him set the sink in place and take old stove into the garage. Husband starts to hook up sink, and discovers that the drain holes in the old sink were centered in each basin, and the new sink drain holes are off-set into the corners of each basin. The under-sink plumbing doesn't match up. It's 9:00 at night, and husband takes one look at the situation, says, "Shit", then turns to me and says, "I don't want to mess with this. I am not a plumber." Call plumber. He can't come out until the following Monday. This is Thursday night. Sigh...another weekend with no running water.

*Saturday we buy new stove. Husband says he can install it, as to get it delivered and installed would be over a week out. We take home stove. New stove is bigger than old stove, so the cut-out in the counter is too small (we had originally intended to keep the old stove, but changed our minds). We have to call back counter guy to re-cut the countertop. He can't come until the next Wednesday.

Week two — still no working kitchen.

*Plumber arrives, assesses the situation, and decides he has to add another trap. Not something husband would have thought of. Plumber is a very nice guy, did a great job, and even fixed the fawcette and drain covers, which husband had put in wrong (he followed the instructions that came with the kit). Okay, now I have running water and a dishwasher again (had been washing dishes in the garage sink...not fun).

*Husband attempts to hook up stove last night. To get the stove in our small kitchen, we have to take the door off the refrigerator to make room. Husband gets the wiring from the floor done, but discovers he doesn't have the right tool to hook up the wiring to the stove back. Does not want to buy new tools he will never need again, and also decides, after looking at the way the stove is built, that he doesn't want to risk scratching the new counter tops because the damned thing looks almost impossible to adjust the level, one in place. Stove gets left in the middle of kitchen. I have about 8 inches of clearance in front of my new sink, and I can barely get the frig door open.

* Husband calls this morning to tell me he called the Sears service dept — the 800 number — then tells me that they won't be able to come out until Friday, and that it will cost $125 because we picked the stove up ourselves, therefore voiding the free delivery and set up option, which we couldn't have used use, as the counter top opening was too small. At this point, I am furious, and sick of the whole mess. I call the local store where we bought the stove, explain the situation, and the lady says, "No problem, we can have someone out tomorrow first thing, and it will only cost you $97 dollars." Wonderful.

* So, today the counter guy is due out to re-cut the stove opening. I pray he doesn't break anything...what with that bad back and all. Tomorrow the Sears guy will be out to finally hook up the stove. I MAY have my kitchen back by Thursday afternoon.

One can only hope. And, I don't even want to think about what would have occurred had we replaced all the cabinets ( which I would love to do as they are butt-ugly).

This saga may make my husband sound rather inept, which is not the case at all. It is more a case of him coming home after driving for 12-15 hrs, and just being too damned tired to want to mess with stuff. And in the case of the plumbing, which ended up being even more complicated than the plumber thought, admitting when he is in over his head, rather than blunder through something and get it wrong.

Rehabing — a lesson in patience — and microwave cooking.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

If a pirate be werkin on a Non-Pirate project..How can it be Non-Pirate? LOL ;) Kinda retorical eagh?

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Ye got me on that one, Eyes!

Oh, and Chris. I guess it counts if you don't have a ride-on lawnmower. :unsure:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Ransom,

Have you ever watched "A Year in Provence" It is one of my favorite movies (actually a set of 4 discs) which goes thru the seasons of one year as a couple from England's business world retire and buy an old (and gorgeous) farmhouse in disrepair in the equally gorgeous French countryside. Aside from all the laughs you get, you should really appreciate what they go thru trying to adjust to a new country, people, language..and living in a work in progress. It's a charmer and knowing you, if you haven't seen it, you'll love it. I've read the book as well. But the movie is so well cast.

Cheers to adventure! It's all in how yu take it...with a glass or two of wine helps :blink:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

As for me,

I love Colonial, grew up with wonderfully constructed cherry and maple furniture that is still in great shape today. My Mom showed me where each pc is signed by the craftsman. Despite 2 parents, 3 kids, 3 dogs and 11 moves it's still going strong.

I also like French Country and art deco. I crave a deco dressing table, A French Country kitchen with natural stone and a few delft tiles mixed in behind the stove and beautiful wide plank hardwood floors in a Colonial living and dining room. and a Four poster bed sigh...

I love look of pale yellow walls and wide white moulding, a french blue sofa and colonial wing chairs and cherry coffee table with queen anne style legs by the hearth. With a few Federal style painted accent pcs.

In the Revolution series, Washington has the most awesome red and yellow brocade drapes with small tassels...sigh I could go on and on.

Ransom,

Have you ever watched "A Year in Provence" It is one of my favorite movies (actually a set of 4 discs) which goes thru the seasons of one year as a couple from England's business world retire and buy an old (and gorgeous) farmhouse in disrepair in the equally gorgeous French countryside. Aside from all the laughs you get, you should really appreciate what they go thru trying to adjust to a new country, people, language..and living in a work in progress. It's a charmer and knowing you, if you haven't seen it, you'll love it. I've read the book as well. But the movie is so well cast.

Cheers to adventure! It's all in how yu take it...with a glass or two of wine helps :lol:

LOL, are you sure we weren't twins separated at birth? Yeah, I read the book years ago, and then bought the series. I've watched it hundreds of times, and still laugh. So, yes, I do try to take it all in stride, and yes, wine does help! Fortunately it's finished now, and life has gone back to as close to normal as it gets at our place. :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

LOL, are you sure we weren't twins separated at birth? Yeah, I read the book years ago, and then bought the series. I've watched it hundreds of times, and still laugh. So, yes, I do try to take it all in stride, and yes, wine does help! Fortunately it's finished now, and life has gone back to as close to normal as it gets at our place. :lol:

LOL I have a feeling we are! Ive watched it at least once a year. Well let's hope "normal" isn't too normal for you there (in a good way) otherwise I'll have to send "Renard" and his fox :lol: