Thrift Store Finds

Rumba Rue

One of the greatest places to find garb/costume stuff is your local thrift store. Don't have any around, just tell me or other store searchers what you're looking for and we might just find it for you.

Lets start with men's coats. Look for those long coats....many are wool. You can add sleeve cuffs out of different material. By simply removing cheesy buttons and replacing them with more 'period' ones works well and perhaps a small amount of trim can do wonders.

Men's vests, many aren't 'period' but you can certainly make them so or turn them into the new 'steampunk' versions of pirates.

I've cut up corduroy pants and used pieces for garb, I've found women's blouses that are perfect and in one particular instance a blouse was too small, but I loved it, found some similar material and literally cut the thing up the back and inserted the material and it works great!

I'm great at 'patchworking' things as I was taught by a real master at it who makes incredible women's wear.

Look at those long dresses in the thrift store. Can you maybe use the material for something else? You'd be surprised at the ideas that can be done by just changing a few things, like removing the top, maybe splitting the skirt in the front or just add some sparklies to it.

The list goes on, so if you aren't sure how to change something to fit you or your personality just ask.

Rumba Rue the Thrift Store and Dumpster Diving Queen

aye, I be with ye, Rumba!

I ADORE finding and searching for a variety of period like items. I've found period style furniture, quill pens, lanterns, bowls and plates in wood, metal or ceramic, and so much more... including that rare occassion, fabric that is period. I've a bunch of items in stockpile ready to be sold such as the recent finds 6 large brass goblets and 6 small brass goblets... great for treasure or to drink from. Even 2 pewter like tankards with a solid bottom (it's not clear see-through plexiglass).

Outfits... I usually make finding periods style fabrics at discount prices. Cheaper price for you. :blink:

Willing to search and swap.

Take your piece of The Captain's Share. :D

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

As a fellow member of the League of Extraordinary Dumpster Divers (No, Stynky, don't use that!!!!), I have found many treasures in thrift stores, garage sales, antique/junk stores, and in a few cases, my neighbors trash (okay, it was a wooden garden chair sitting out on the curb next to the trash can, but they were throwing it away.).

Just recently, Chain Shot and I scored a nice, heavy pewter mug with a hinged lid for only $3.50. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

yes, I too am a dumpster diver... When I moved back to NY, my first tv was pilfered from the side of the road, as was a good deal of my furniture. =P

Thrift stores, antique shops, garage sales and Grandma's shed... All great places to find "Treasures" as my gramma calls them. I got almost all my cast iron cookware from "the hidden barn" which is particularly fabulous shop. My pots were 20 for two, and I got a frying pan from the late 1800's for 7 bucks. Not to mention they always have stock piles of linens- and I mean actually Linen- table cloths, hankies, bedding, all sorts of beautiful things that can be used as they are or made into something else. I also picked up Hubby's brass mug for 4 bucks.

so yea, i'd be happy to look for specific things for anyone interested. =)

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I frequent the local thrift stores, but haven't had much luck in locating period appropriate stuff. I have found some really cool toys and the like, but not much gear, if any.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

As a fellow member of the League of Extraordinary Dumpster Divers (No, Stynky, don't use that!!!!), I have found many treasures in thrift stores, garage sales, antique/junk stores, and in a few cases, my neighbors trash (okay, it was a wooden garden chair sitting out on the curb next to the trash can, but they were throwing it away.).

Just recently, Chain Shot and I scored a nice, heavy pewter mug with a hinged lid for only $3.50. :rolleyes:

We have the same favorite home furnishings store - Curbside Furniture! Best prices in town!

:lol:

Skinny belts can be turned into garters, wider belts can be turned into cannon accoutrement (for carbide cannons, they make good trunion covers. And we wrap them around cannon wheels for extra protection.)

One thrift store had a box of those designer upholstery fabric samples. I picked up a few and put them to good use.

And I got all of these for $25 at the same place:

Glasses.jpg

RHJMap.jpg

Oooo, Shiny! :rolleyes:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

4412_80410298700_526093700_1737990_173526_n.jpg

$6 for both at a local thrift store! They look almost identical to one I paid $30 for just a few weeks earlier.

LOL I got EXACTLY the same ones (6 of 'em). I paid next to nothing for them because a local shop was trying to get rid of that sort of thing, so I got those, a few tankards and Beersteins a pitcher and some other stuff that I can't remember for 20 bucks... it was awesome.

Another thing about thrift shops and garage sales is that you can bargain. =)

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

I have been adding to my pewter ware for the last couple of years from thrift stores, house auctions and yard sales and a few things off ebay ....We now have service for 12+

IMG_0169.jpg

We just got a second large punchbowl and the tray and 16 punch cups for $75 (it still had the original price tags on it for over $480) looks like it was never used. Got to love country house auctions :D:D:D As close as we calculated there is almost $3500 worth of pewter and we haven't spent more than $500 all told ...and there are another 25 mugs and a dozen or so trays of various sizes and I have picked up over 40 cordial goblets and another 2 dozen wine goblets that aren't in that shot ... :D Salty said I'm not allowed to bring home any more cordials EVER!!!

Edited by callenish gunner

gezzzz a flip !@#$^$%& #%^ is that what i've been heftin around!!!!!!!! no wonder the trailer squats so badly!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, on the other side of the coin, you will never meet a most generous or gracious dinner host in camp, cept for me an grace :D

The touch marks along the rim, there appears to be one of them is a RWP in an oval which is for the Wilton co. in PA makers of a modern pewter like alloy(armetale) for the past 50 years or so ....more versatile than pewter though since it can be used both hot or cold and even placed in the oven ...

and Dutch we usually only bring service for 4 to events except to the cabin fever event in Feb.which you and Grace missed :D:lol::D

Edited by callenish gunner

The touch marks along the rim, there appears to be one of them is a RWP in an oval which is for the Wilton co. in PA makers of a modern pewter like alloy(armetale) for the past 50 years or so ....more versatile than pewter though since it can be used both hot or cold and even placed in the oven ...

Mine have that RWP mark on the bottom and some you can kind of see it near the rim. So are these good for events?

I have been adding to my pewter ware for the last couple of years from thrift stores, house auctions and yard sales and a few things off ebay ....We now have service for 12+

IMG_0169.jpg

We just got a second large punchbowl and the tray and 16 punch cups for $75 (it still had the original price tags on it for over $480) looks like it was never used. Got to love country house auctions ;););) As close as we calculated there is almost $3500 worth of pewter and we haven't spent more than $500 all told ...and there are another 25 mugs and a dozen or so trays of various sizes and I have picked up over 40 cordial goblets and another 2 dozen wine goblets that aren't in that shot ... ;) Salty said I'm not allowed to bring home any more cordials EVER!!!

I have those stines! Paid 25 cents a piece for them, but had more than I could use. Bought them all and sold the extras on eBay.

291681265_m.jpg Drink Up Me Harties Yo Ho!

gezzzz a flip !@#$^$%& #%^ is that what i've been heftin around!!!!!!!! no wonder the trailer squats so badly!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, on the other side of the coin, you will never meet a most generous or gracious dinner host in camp, cept for me an grace :P

ROTDLMAO!!! :unsure:

Tis a nice set there, Callenish. I'm jealous.

A good choice, Silkie. :)

OMG, I do have to add this. Found at a local antique store a huge table cloth of natural linen and bought it for less than $4! Has to be enough there to make at least a nice fancy shirt with ruffles or a pair of breeches or slops!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 1 month later...

My newest treasure!!!!! The sewing ladies (and gents!) in here might appreciate this.... It sort of falls under "making what you want...."

This is as it was when I got it home. All the stuff was included ($45). YEY!!!!!!

100_2163.jpg

100_2165.jpg

100_2166.jpg

Cleaning it out...

100_2173.jpg

After:

100_2179.jpg

There is room for ALL my stuffs... Sewing, embroidery, knitting and hopefully room for my spindle and some roving. (OK. Not my entire collection all at the same time... the bulk of the thread and stuff has been stashed away.) Another beautiful thing is all the stuff it came with, if you can see on the "after" photo, on the top just about all those spools are wood. there is some linen thread, cotton and some that is not marked that I suspect might be silk. There is also an abundance of cotton tape which I intend to put to good use on some petticoats. =)

So that is just my latest "thrift" store treasure (OK. It was an antique shop). I also picked up two good sized tables (one $3 the other was $100 but solid oak), a wrought iron utensil holder $10 (the ones you stick in the ground) a copper wash basin (22) and a linen apron... (the apron was actually supposed to be a card table table cloth, but it has the strings already attached! that was 3 bucks.)

Oh, so I guess the next question is.... Would this be OK to drag to events? Or is it not even close to period?