Rivets

I need rivets! And bad! And soon!

Okay first off, I need solid shank rivets, about one inch long, with a 3/8 to 1/2 inch flat head and 1/8" to 3/16" shank diameter, I am somewhat flexible on thes dimensions. The huge bag of them I bought at Pennsic 2 years ago has dwindled down to a pretty low level.

The hollow shank "pop" rivets that Tandy Leather (and other leather stores) carry are too weak for my purposes, so I am very adamant that it be solid shank brass rivets.

I have been looking online, and I have found a few places, but I am unsure about these places, and prefer a trusted source that comes with a recomendation, specially a place where I can order them with a reasonable guarantee of a quick delivery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Michael_banner.jpg

I know I'm supposed ta be dead and deleted by now, but here I am anyway.

Try a saddle/harness repair shop if you have any locally, especially any Amish community in your area. Weavers Saddlery will have what you need, but they only sell wholesale to saddle/harness shops. A saddler may order for you and even have it overnited if you are willing to pay for it. I assume you are looking for the brass ones again? I have a lot of copper ones I use for our tack and some ACW projects. They are more readily available and you can sometimes find them on the shelf at a large farm supply store. Hope this helps.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

Thank you both for the suggestion!

I found Weavers online and already spoke to them, while they were very nice and had exactly what I want and need... They only sell wholesale... :P

I will lookup some of the local saddlers though, that is a good suggestion, because I very much want the brass over the copper (I think I have some copper ones, and Tandy sells them if I dont).

Failing a local saddler having them, I will check out Witmer coachworks in PA.

Thanks again for both of your suggestions!

Michael_banner.jpg

Top of this page has a copper version of what I am looking for... They have taken the picture with the burr (basically a washer) around the shank, and that particular rivet may be a bit short for what I want (as well as copper and not brass), but it should give you the idea... I definitely need a retail source that can ship to me in the next handful of days. I do really appreciate the source you sent to me via PM Dutch! It may help for when I have more time, and have not been an idiot and failed to realize that I am almost out of a supply before I have searched for a new source. :P

And a much better picture of what I am looking for, but again in copper and not brass.

See here

It looks like This Place might be able to help me... I am just trying to find contact information for them so I can speak to someone and make sure.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 4 months later...

I found Weavers online and already spoke to them, while they were very nice and had exactly what I want and need... They only sell wholesale... ;)

I will lookup some of the local saddlers though, that is a good suggestion, because I very much want the brass over the copper (I think I have some copper ones, and Tandy sells them if I dont).

Do yea have a Tracktor Supply near bys http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&pageSize=20&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&error1=&ip_text=rivits&ip_textHH=rivits&ip_requestUri=ProductDisplay&ip_categoryId=&ip_mode=&ip_perPage=20

I found Weavers online and already spoke to them, while they were very nice and had exactly what I want and need... They only sell wholesale... ;)

Do yea have a Tracktor Supply near bys http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&pageSize=20&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&error1=&ip_text=rivits&ip_textHH=rivits&ip_requestUri=ProductDisplay&ip_categoryId=&ip_mode=&ip_perPage=20

There is a location not too far from me, so thanks for that suggestion... They don't carry brass rivets, but the alluminum or steel may come in handy! And they seem to have a good selection of those and copper.

I did manage to get brass rivets from the place i posted the link to in my last post... R.J. Leahy Co., and they work good, but they have a thicker shank than I am used to which only makes them ever so slightly more difficult to cut... But a new cutting tool given to me by Silas Thatcher has made that ever so slight annoyance disappear! ;)

Michael_banner.jpg