Hand-sewn garb

Is it really necessary to have all my garb hand sewn? Do patrons pay that close attention to sewing?

It seems to me that most events are geared towards sales of plastic pirate toys and accoutrements anyway. Plus at events like Nor Cal it seems that the rules are out the window.

Where are these events that are so heavily monitored?

just currious

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

Is it really necessary to have all my garb hand sewn? Do patrons pay that close attention to sewing?

It seems to me that most events are geared towards sales of plastic pirate toys and accoutrements anyway. Plus at events like Nor Cal it seems that the rules are out the window.

Where are these events that are so heavily monitored?

just currious

They don't exist. I have been to many pirate re-enactments in the last year and a half, and I have yet to be to one where hand sewn garments are a requirement.

The whole hand sewn thing is something us nutters do to ourselves to challenge ourselves and attempt to take it to the next level for our own benefit... And to a lesser degree to show off. :rolleyes:

Many re-enactors never take it to the level beyond machine sewn clothing, and that is fine... There will always be those of us whole try to do it to the nth degree, and there will always be those who don't have the time, resouces etc. and that is fine...

The hobby is (and always should be) more about the history and getting along and having a good time, and not stitch counting! :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

occassionally we will run across a patron who is one of those intelectual types that will bust our chops about stitching. eh- they'll get over it. As michael says those of us who count threads, count our own as entertaining torture for ourselves. To clarify one thing that may be muddying the waters for you Liam- are you talking festivals or reenactment/living history. Some Festivals, yes anything goes. Reenactment/living history, the standard of appearance is completely different.

Are there any Reenactment groups on the west coast with hand sewing requirements?...

Nah.... most of them out on this side are just fun Pyratacle get togethers.... But even at PiP, there is no requirement to hand sew (or hand finish) your garb/clothing......

You/we just do it to be perverse.....

My hand sewn sail/tarp.... I had the time, and thought it would be sooooo dang stupid to hand sew the whole thing..... It really didn't take that long to do, but the reactions make it fun/worthwhile......

Now the "correct answer" is.... they didn't have sewing machines "back then"....

The "realistic answer" is... If you have the time, and really want to hand sew/ or finish everything.... cool.... but no one is really going to check.....But you will know if it is right or not.... :rolleyes:

Are there any Reenactment groups on the west coast with hand sewing requirements?...

Nah.... most of them out on this side are just fun Pyratacle get togethers.... But even at PiP, there is no requirement to hand sew (or hand finish) your garb/clothing......

You/we just do it to be perverse.....

My hand sewn sail/tarp.... I had the time, and thought it would be sooooo dang stupid to hand sew the whole thing..... It really didn't take that long to do, but the reactions make it fun/worthwhile......

Now the "correct answer" is.... they didn't have sewing machines "back then"....

The "realistic answer" is... If you have the time, and really want to hand sew/ or finish everything.... cool.... but no one is really going to check.....But you will know if it is right or not.... :rolleyes:

Indeed.... I have done alot of hand finishing with my garb and it does give one a sense of accomplisment and history. No... I don't have time (or patience) to hand sew eveything so... I will just keep doin what I'm doin...thanks for the feedback

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

I think it's great if you are able to wear garb that has all the exposed seams hand sewn.

I really admire people that have the time and the talent (or the money) to play hardcore

like that.

But even if you raised your own sheep. Grew your own flax and hemp. Made your own thread.

Weaved and dyed your own cloth with natural dyes. Hand made all your clothes. Some jackass

wannabe historian would be there to tell you that your home made buttons were .05 millimetres

too wide. :rolleyes:

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

But even if you raised your own sheep. Grew your own flax and hemp. Made your own thread.

Weaved and dyed your own cloth with natural dyes. Hand made all your clothes. Some jackass

wannabe historian would be there to tell you that your home made buttons were .05 millimetres

too wide. :rolleyes:

Haha. Oh I think that's true...

But to the original question- I'm a newbie and have been only to a few events as a pirate (but many for other periods). As a few others have said, it does seem to be mostly for our own torture and enjoyment. I find for me its a slippery slope, if I am willing to spend the money on the right fabrics, take the time to draft the pattern instead of using the simplicity Jack Sparrow pattern and take all these pains to be as accurate as I can... I'm going to have to pick up a needle and thread and do it "right" all the way through. It takes a TON of time, but its sooooo worth it. Especially when someone comes over and looks at your garb (I think this happens most with ladies) and when they are looking at the beautiful fabric and pattern they exclaim "did you do this ALL by hand?!" you can proudly say, "of course, how else might one make clothes?"

=)

But of course, there is the time concern and I do lots of long hidden seams by machine... But still, I find it far more enjoyable to sew by hand from my comfy couch. I would rather spend 20 hours sewing by hand than 5 parked in front of the machine. Again, that's just me.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

In a world where quantity over quality is the staple of nearly everything business... 1. hand crafted items is nearly a thing of the past.. 2. being authentic is both praised yet condemned

It really comes down to personal preference... how accurate YOU want it to be. There really is no major pirate era association (unlike those of other eras ie the BAR for Rev War) to dictate what you can and cannot have, wear, etc.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I do all my stitching on a high tech, computerized sewing machine.

But I am looming my own fabric and shearing my own sheep. Just want to be different. :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

As everyone else says it is indeed all a matter of opinion. Very much like the good Lady brower, i figured i might as well do it right sense i bough all this(expensive) fabric, and though it takes a while, i feel much happier about it in the end. One interesting thing is that some other reenactors do notice if you hand sew, and its nice to get a "well done"/pat on the back. Though i dont do it for the praise, it does make me feel at little like my effort was for not. I personally think its more pressing to have the garnment itself be period correct. You could hand sew till the cows come home, but its no good if your sewing a 1790s style fock coat, and is supposed to be representing the 1720's. So as long as you pattern is sound, sew away mate...how ever you wish(oh yeah, correct fabrics and colors help too..lol)!

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

And the sheep are scared!

As anyone from Eastern Washington would know, a good sheep is hard to bleat.

--

Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com