First day aboard

Liam McMac

Ahoy pirates!

The name is Liam McMac... I'm a Scottish mariner who sails under Cap'n Iron Hand of the Iron Brigade. Me father was a Jacobite in the old rebellion of 1715. As for myself, I still support the Stuart line. Not for god or royal bloodlines, but to keep the chains of English tyrany off of me famliy. For now I sail to raise funds until the King comes back over the water.

Edited by Liam McMac

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

Greetingsovertherail-1.jpg

Welcome matey to our Port and Pub

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Welcome to port!

What year is it?

(Oh, and I'm a bit of a Scottish refugee . . . a Covenanter suspected of being a Jacobite and exiled . . . )

I beleive the year is 1740 by my count... tis good to see so many scottish brothers about

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

Welcome to port!

What year is it?

(Oh, and I'm a bit of a Scottish refugee . . . a Covenanter suspected of being a Jacobite and exiled . . . )

I beleive the year is 1740 by my count... tis good to see so many scottish brothers about

Exiting character:

Most of the Capt. Twill folks operate in 1715-1725 (give or take) for Golden Age of Pirate and in the 1680-ish for Buccaneer (from what I remember-> Hand please correct me on the Buccy dating).

The period began with the end of Queen Anne's War/War of Spanish Succession and the events around the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion (tied into the exile of the privateer/protection fleet from Jamaica and the Gov.'s covering his butt over his Jacobite intentions for Jennings and Hornigold's ships and men). The move from Jamaica to New Providence, Nassau is often used as the "beginning" of the 17-teens GAoP wave of piracy, the one that most modern reenactors and general pop-pirate stuff emulates.

Most of the famous pirates were around 1715 to the early 1720s.

Blackbeard operated primarily in 1717 to November 1718 (when he did in Ocracoke, NC).

Calico Jack Rackham, Anne Bonny, and Mary Reed were captured in October 1720.

Black Bart Roberts died on February 1722, after 3 years of probably the most successful pirating.

By 1725, most of the major figures were dead and pirate suppression in full swing.

Oh, the term GAoP is a flexible term term too.

Sometimes the GAoP is extended to include the buccaneering of Henry Morgan. Some back it up to include Drake and the Elizabethan Sea Dogs.

The buccaneers were in a different situation than the later pirates. Buccaneers were (primarily) legal privateers and operated as extensions of British government policy. Filibusters were their French equivalents.

The issue comes as to what Henry Avery/Every, Kidd Edward England, Thomas Tew, and the crews of the turn of the century 1600/1700 were. They predated the Queen Anne's War, but post dates the Buccaneers.

So, the GAoP dates are open to interpretation. It didn't start suddenly nor end suddenly either. It was more a case of waves with pirate crews operating even in the troughs of the wave.

1740 is a bit late for most of the GAoP.

As someone very interested in Scottish history (probably more so than GAoP and knows more about it too), may I kindly suggest that YOU are a Jacobite who fled after your father died in the '15 . . .

The good part of the two is that actually period correct kit overlaps wonderfully. The common seaman and common Jacobite would have worn basically the same stuff if in breeches (as many Jacobites actually wore). Belted plaids vs. slops are the main difference, if wearing location/role specific kit.

The 2 mesh very well.

Returning to character:

My brother fought under the prince's banner in the '15, while I was at school. He hated the Hanovarians.

I didn't trust James, as he backstabbed his former Covenanter supporters. My brother and I disagreed. He fought, I went to school looking to avoid the coming conflict. I liked neither Jorge the German nor the king that brought the Killing Times . . .

When he was killed, I was sought and confused with him. I had to leave school and was forced to flee. I found myself in the Carolinas, but desperate, so I went to sea.

I now find myself on a sloop . . . unable to call myself British, unwilling to be under English rule . . .

I am a man without a country, considered too Jacobite for the Government and too Covenanter for the Jacobites . . .

So, under a black or red banner I shall be found. All the while, longing for the bonny blue with the white cross!

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Thanks for all the great info but my character is set as a Jacobite / Scots-Irish mariner who sails between Scotland and New England raiding English ships. I have been known to lend a helping hand to Yankee rebels. Any enemies of the British are friends of mine. Hopefully one day Prince Charlie will come home and lead Bonnie Scotland to freedom.

Slandavagh!

I may one day get invloved in GAoP as it's called

seems we still have plenty of pirates in today's waters

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

G'day t'ya lad. Ave a seat, and order me a Cider. We Irish-Scotts need t'be stickin t'gether.

Now understand, as a merchant I find that the coin shines just as brightly on both sides. Although I oppose the crown what sits on the throne at this time (1720 or so) I will take coin from any privateer wot spends money in me ordinary. Political views aside I have friends on the side of the English crown, in fact I owe m'freedom to an Englishman

That would be a Virginian M'dear Silkie, as we seem to have been Virginians first, Englishmen second... started planting the seeds for the Revolution many, many years earlier...

Welcome to the pub Mr. McMac

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Ahoy an' welcome, Mr McMac. Grand pleasure t' have ye here with th' lot of us. Surely ye'll find good company - whate'er it be - here on th' Pub. :D

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

That would be a Virginian M'dear Silkie, as we seem to have been Virginians first, Englishmen second... started planting the seeds for the Revolution many, many years earlier...

Welcome to the pub Mr. McMac

Forgive me good captain. There you have it Mister McMac, a Virginian, still, loyal to the crown in England. Exactly how loyal I can not say but still, a good man and good crew.

Whispers "Know this, Liam, though I live in the new world my heart remains at home, in Ireland."

Welcome to the Pub!

Now hand o'er yer dubloons an' ye'll keep yer hands..............................just kidding. B)

Thanks fer all the kind greetings... now lets get pissed!!

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!

Thanks fer all the kind greetings... now lets get pissed!!

B)B)B)

AYE!!!!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!