French Infantry replica sword belt with plug bayonet frog

PoD

Ahoy Maties

This belt is based on a 17th century French colonial infantry sword belt that would have worn during the Golden Age of Piracy.

frenchbelt1.jpg

With this belt I tried to keep historically accurate. The belt is 6cm wide and has a large 2 pronged period correct brass buckle.

french_belt.jpg

There is a removable plug bayonet frog (which holds the John Barnett replica version). The buckle is off centre like the original belts to allow bellyboxes or cartridge pouches to be worn

£60

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Aye I'd like to think it had been plundered off some French Marine that the owner had dispatched to Davy Jones :blink:

bannerad.jpg

I saw an almost identical belt rig at Fort Matanzas in St. Augustine. I made a copy that works quite well. I have a belt axe through the verticle frog and a large plug bayonet on the angled frog. Works very well.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 5 months later...

Thanks William

Basically with not having any dimensions on the image I found I kind of reverse engineered the whole thing. I found a period correct buckle that looked like the one in the picture and basically worked out all the other measurements by looking at the size of the strap compared to the size of the rivets and the buckle, and also the size of the sword they would have held.

I've come across a number of different belt widths depending on the period. Some of the ECW belts I have seen in the Royal Armouries range from quite thin hanger type belts made to strap around armoured breastplates to around 2" belts worn by foot soldiers.

The baldrics I have made have ranged from 2" Jacobite baldrics (1" if you count viking ones but thats a bit before period ha ha) up to 4" Velvet covered gentlemans baldrics from the 17th and early 18th century.

I should be doing a major research trip down to the british museum and the Victoria and Albert museums in London in the new year where I am hoping to get a lot more accurate information on actual examples of period leatherwork.

bannerad.jpg

Two other places to go. The Leather Museum in Northhampton had a few pieces last time I was there. Also, the York Museum. They had quite a few ECW swords and muskets with their associated equipment when I was there a couple of years ago.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think civilian belts would be much smaller...

Like less than an inch wide. I had a good number of original buckles... now in the hands of Michael Bagley. I had one that looked exactly like the Arnish Moor buckle.

These buckles, or this buckle style was used well over 100 years... though the size changed.

The military ones seem to be larger, but the civilian ones can be quite small... smaller than you would think would be logical for a belt. I think there is a thread around here somewhere where this was discussed and I posted some period pics...

Good luck.

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 1 month later...

I got another one of these belts up for sale now in a slightly lighter tan colour. I am also interested in trading if anyone has a wool or linen waistcoat they want to part with (xxl size)

$97

Edited by PoD

bannerad.jpg

• 8 months later...

Just made a new version of this belt made from natural split leather treated with waterproofing to look like a period buff leather belt and fastened together with copper rivets.

SDC10182-W600.jpg

SDC10183-W600.jpg

SDC10184-W600.jpg

This leather is a lot cheaper so the price has come down to $60 (includes shipping)

bannerad.jpg

Just made a new version of this belt made from natural split leather treated with waterproofing to look like a period buff leather belt and fastened together with copper rivets.

SDC10182-W600.jpg

SDC10183-W600.jpg

SDC10184-W600.jpg

This leather is a lot cheaper so the price has come down to $60 (includes shipping)

Another beautiful item shipmate, looks more real if you know what I mean. Hasn`t had the dirty grubby hands and months of grime on it which will really make this a handsome addition. Love it ..

"The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with watches you shave his face in the mirror every morning."