How do you make cloth buttons?

j8ksdad

I saw in an old post somewhere about how to make cloth buttons using a penny or such. I have tried the search featuer and I keep getting an error page. Anyone have a link or can give me the steps to make them?

Thanks!

Scott

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

I saw in an old post somewhere about how to make cloth buttons using a penny or such. I have tried the search featuer and I keep getting an error page. Anyone have a link or can give me the steps to make them?

Thanks!

Scott

linkity link link

I leanred from the diagrams and instuctions about two thirds of the way down the web page on the above link. I also use wooden bisquits bought from the local hobby store rather than pennies as it keeps the buttons lighter so they pull on the fabric less.... But I think Patrick said that he has had good success with using pennies.

Michael_banner.jpg

Thanks Mr. B!

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Oh, now THIS is interesting. I've not seen this type of covered button. Awesome. Always wondered about those roundish buttons. Thank ye.

The covered buttons I'm familiar with I used the reproduction pewter or wood maybe even horn buttons to create said type of buttons.

Very cool.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

For those interested in keeping their buttons more pc, William Booth Draper has some wonderful button molds

http://wmboothdraper.com/ in the menu bar on the left hand side, click on buttons...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

For those interested in keeping their buttons more pc, William Booth Draper has some wonderful button molds

http://wmboothdraper.com/ in the menu bar on the left hand side, click on buttons...

Thank you Capt Sterling, This is the most helpful type of info, education and source. The websight you gave was excellent .

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become

Does anyone know how to make the thread buttons they speak of on the Wm. Booth Draper site? I would buy the book they suggest if I had the money... :-/

Edited by LadyBrower

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Does anyone know how to make the thread buttons they speak of on the Wm. Booth Draper site? I would buy the book they suggest if I had the money... :-/

On the same link I posted above for cloth covered buttons is a demo on making passementerie buttons, which while not the "Death's Head" or "Dorset" buttons that the flat discs or rings are used for are another form of thread buttons... a Style that was very common throughout the 17th century.

Here is a link on making Death's Head buttons that was posted on another forum by Crazy Chole Black (who also posts here from time to time). And another link to a different demo on making the same style of buttons (some times multiple perspectives help).

I have seen a link(s) posted here about making dorset buttons, but I can't remember where to find that.

Hope this helps.

Michael_banner.jpg

Many thanks to you all!

That's excellent. Thank you.

You're welcome!

And since we are on the topic of buttons, below is a picture of some passementerie buttons made for me by Diosa and crew... For a coat that will not likely get made until August because of my current project list.... :huh: There were more of these buttons in the auction for the Santa Maria event, and I think they went for way too cheap, someone got a really good deal on those!

DSCF2808.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg

Oh my goodness, they are so pretty!

OK.. This is sort of silly, but related to the buttons, how is "passementerie" pronounced? lol.

I'm going to give those a shot. What is the circumference of those?

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

Oh my goodness, they are so pretty!

OK.. This is sort of silly, but related to the buttons, how is "passementerie" pronounced? lol.

I'm going to give those a shot. What is the circumference of those?

I think they are made on 3/8 inch wooden beads? The total diameter is about 1/2 inch? Although you could aim for larger or smaller bead depending on your needs, I just really like the finer buttons. I guess I should have thrown a penny or other coin into the picture for scale when I took that. :huh: As for pronouncing the word... I will try...

PASS-i-ment-tar-ee If you say it with a French accent (don't overdo it though) you will likely be saying it correctly. :huh:

Michael_banner.jpg

I haven't picked up the wooden beads yet, but I did make these out of nylon washers from Home Depot...

100_2105.jpg

Would a button like this be appropriate for a Justaucorps? (or however that's spelled...)

I haven't picked up the wooden beads yet, but I did make these out of nylon washers from Home Depot...

100_2105.jpg

Would a button like this be appropriate for a Justaucorps? (or however that's spelled...)

NICE work!!!

Yeah, I can't see why such buttons would not work for a Justacorps, outside of not knowing the real timeline for the Death's Head buttons... I think they are appropriate for our time, but I am uncertain... I learned about them on a 18th century forum that focusses mostly on later 18th century stuff, and not having done any research on them, I can;t say they are correct for GAoP or not... But speaking for myself, if I saw those on a coat at an event, I would be too busy being impressed by the amount of work and artistry that went into them than caring if they were absolutely correct for the period or not.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...
I thought someone posted directions or a link for the directions to these buttons but I can't seem to find it. Can someone assist me?

About half-way down This Page

P.S. I will be moving this thread to the Sewing Room area, as it fits more there as it really is more about how to make them than a discussion on provenance. Hope no one minds. B)

Michael_banner.jpg

There is a booklet on Death Head buttons which may pinpoint the actual time period... by Norman Fuss. William Booth, Draper sells copies... wouldn't hurt to ask him about the dates...the man is very good with what he sells... from what I have read on the item, I am under the impression that they are a later style button, as they run into the 19th century, but I have never run across specific dates as of yet...

and Mickey, since the question was for cloth buttons, didn't you once post a thread on the cloth buttons you made, circles of fabric stuffed... not thread buttons like the Dorsets and Death Heads..

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I just asked him over at Living History Worldwide... I will let you know what he has to say about them...as of last Feb., our time frame is not his but he has been looking into it since we last talked.. he is a splendid sutler and truly goes out of his way to help when he can.

Crewe of the Archangel

There is a booklet on Death Head buttons which may pinpoint the actual time period... by Norman Fuss. William Booth, Draper sells copies... wouldn't hurt to ask him about the dates...the man is very good with what he sells... from what I have read on the item, I am under the impression that they are a later style button, as they run into the 19th century, but I have never run across specific dates as of yet...

and Mickey, since the question was for cloth buttons, didn't you once post a thread on the cloth buttons you made, circles of fabric stuffed... not thread buttons like the Dorsets and Death Heads..

Actually, wife and I picked up the "Death's head Buttons" book when we were in St.Mary's City last weekend, and the earliest sample shown in that book are dated to 1710... So they did exist at least towards the end of the GAoP.

And as for cloth covered buttons, I think the below image is what you may have been alluding to... My Justacorps with far too many buttons and button holes....

Buttons1.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg