Armed Forces Day

Capn Bob

Today, May 16, is Armed Forces Day.

I'm stuck working, but I'm still marking the day in my own way by putting up a relevant book display (employed in a library, right?), wearing me "Military Brat" pin and Army pin...and I shall be dining at Mariachi Locos after work. (Okay, it has nothing to do with the military, but it just sounded good)

But its nothing like the Armed Forces Days we had when I was growing up in the Army. They were almost as much fun as Christmas...all sorts of weaponry on display, firing demos, rides in M113s (this was in the 1960's), big picnics with lots of food...I miss those days...

Damn, thats sharp!

In the 1980s and early 90s I used to visit Andrews AFB practically every Armed Forces Day. I hadn't thought about it in awhile, but as I was driving home from Norfolk the other day, I happened to be passing by the base when the Thunderbirds were practicing. Good stuff!

Last Armed Forces Day I attended was... geez... sometime in the early 90s. My RevWar group attended a battle demo at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. That was a fun event. We had a pretty sizeable battle, considering it wasn't an actual reenactment.

That's also the event where I discovered a Brown Bess will still function with a broken main spring.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I'm a Navy Brat myself and sometimes I too kinda fergit or take all the old stuff fer granted.

I miss having virtual free run o' the bases Dad was stationed at.

It sure has gotten inconvenient to go and see the new stuff.

Like Blackjohn .... miss the old days.

Know it's not Vet's Day, but, Thanks to all who Serve(d)

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

I'm such a horrible military wife... I didn't even know today was armed forces day!!! Oh well. We (and the crew) spent the day at the maritime museum. But I do suppose that I support them everyday when I make hubby breakfast and baked goods for the guys at the base. =P

BUT. Hubby didn't know either. So I am not it trouble.

Support the armed forces everyday, I say!

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Gotten a few text messages and emails from friends saying thank you....so I think I am gonna surprise a few of them with a tour of the planes that I work on....Armed Forces Day i think to my cousin who was in Iraq and Afghanistan and the thousands of fellow service men and women still over there and all over the world and pray that they all get home alive....

To everyone here on the Pub and everyone else who keep our military men and women in their minds and prayers I say Thank You...Thank you for your support, Thank You for everything you do. From care packages, to simple "Thank You's" to someone in uniform passing by. It means a lot to me and I am sure to every other service member. So again I say Thank You!

Happy Armed Forces Day!!!

USA.gif

Edited by Kian McBrian

m_88912d35e54b4e34952d9677df54b55f.png

Half Moon Marauders

Irish Diplomacy... is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.

I also posted this in WWII (for Memorial Day)

This is what I wore to the American Legion's Armed Forces Day Picnic ....

WWIIPATT.jpg

Saw you mentioning being a navy brat, and the more I thought about it the more I thought of my childhood best friend and his dad. I probably started going to airshows (not sure when the first Armed Forces day was) in the late 70s. My best friend's dad was in the navy reserves (on a P-3 Orion subhunter) so he would take us to Andrews and PAX (Patuxent River Naval Air Station) to see the sights.

Saw a bunch of cool planes in those days. Got to walk through a B-17! What fun!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Saw you mentioning being a navy brat, and the more I thought about it the more I thought of my childhood best friend and his dad. I probably started going to airshows (not sure when the first Armed Forces day was) in the late 70s. My best friend's dad was in the navy reserves (on a P-3 Orion subhunter) so he would take us to Andrews and PAX (Patuxent River Naval Air Station) to see the sights.

Saw a bunch of cool planes in those days. Got to walk through a B-17! What fun!

NAS Keflavik, Iceland, Constellations early '60's

NAS Pensacola, FL, The Blue Angels, Dad was across the hangar from 'em ..... enjoyed goin' to work him on summer break late '60's ear'y '70's

NAS Albany, GA RA5C Vigilante Cold War surveillance .... them was the days 'eh

NAS Key West, FL watchin' Castro and the early days of the F-14, Boca Chica

Edited by sutlerjon

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

Military Bases...Lets see...in my case, and in no particular order:

Fort Sam Houston

Fort Knox

Storck Barracks, in Illesheim Germany

There was also that now defunct air defense installation in Arlington Heights, Chicago area...we didn't live there since it wasn't a base as such...lived at Zurich Lake...

And my father was attached to the JAG School in Charlottesville VA...

When he did his service in Vietnam (56th Trans..."Find 'Em, Fix 'Em, Fly 'Em") my mother and I stayed in Akron OH, since there was family here in those days

And what bloody annoyed me was just how bloody many civvies didn't know Fort Knox is a real place...

Damn, thats sharp!

Wow Patrick! You should come to Rockford, IL at the end of September 2009. You'd fit right in!

Every year the WWII reenctors put on the HUGE reenactment at Midway Village and Museum. 2007 event took the honor of being the biggest WWII event of the year. Over 600 reenactors alone (both Allied and German forces), but the gate total. The weather was great, plus a dance in the old red barn.

Airforce brat myself. Daddy was a lifer. I was born on an AirForce base in Upstate NY and moved around until Dad retired in 1979.

Best memories were at Giffith AirForce Base. They would always have a ton of aircraft to look at on holidays such as these (Memorial Day and Forth of July too).

Now that I live only 20 mins. from Oshkosh, WI...I still can enjoy seeing the vintage miliarty aircraft every July/August at the EAA.

Edited by Cheeky Actress

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I'm such a horrible military wife... I didn't even know today was armed forces day!!! Oh well. We (and the crew) spent the day at the maritime museum. But I do suppose that I support them everyday when I make hubby breakfast and baked goods for the guys at the base. =P

BUT. Hubby didn't know either. So I am not it trouble.

Support the armed forces everyday, I say!

I am assuming that your DH is Navy then?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Hubby (and Mr. McBrian as well) are Air force actually (airship pirates! well, not really...)

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle