The President and the Pirate

Just some fun stuff.

CBS News

White House Back-Story: The President And The Pirate

"Pity the poor historian a couple hundred years from now, at a loss to figure out why Barack Obama, an American president at the start of the 21st century, was photographed meeting in the Oval Office with – a pirate." As if we don't have enough trouble deciphering visual renditions already!

The article says "To get a Blackbeard, you just don’t look up “pirate” in the Yellow Pages" Captain, are we in the yellow pages yet?

It also says "He was “more than game,” said an official familiar with the shenanigans, “as long as the costume was legit.”" Should we explain what legitimate means to us pirates?

If you want to read it but the link has been broken, here is the actual fluff of an article:

Pity the poor historian a couple hundred years from now, at a loss to figure out why Barack Obama, an American president at the start of the 21st century, was photographed meeting in the Oval Office with – a pirate.

What kind of unexplained policy initiative was being played out in this photo, the historian might wonder, perhaps confusing it for something other than what it was: a gag – one of dozens – for the president's remarks at the White House Correspondent’s Dinner.

The joke was the idea of three top presidential aides including senior advisor David Axelrod.

They would have Mr. Obama refer to his recent meetings with world leaders.

“There I am with Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso,” he would say, followed by, “there I am with Gordon Brown.”

But the punch line was his assertion that he was living up to his campaign pledge that “we can’t just talk to our friends.” And with that, up would pop the photo of President Obama with a pirate.

This was no modern-day pirate of the type that hijacks ships off the horn of Africa. It was a buccaneer in full Captain Hook regalia: knee-high boots, a cut-away coat, an eye patch and even a parrot on his shoulder.

To get a Blackbeard, you just don’t look up “pirate” in the Yellow Pages, unless you’re in Somalia. And even there, pirates work in plain-clothes, except for their automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades.

The White House needed a pirate, and it turned to speechwriter Cody Keenan. It was a role not exactly in his job description.

He was “more than game,” said an official familiar with the shenanigans, “as long as the costume was legit.”

Fellow speechwriter Jon Lovett called costume shops all over town until he found the costume in the picture. “The President loved it,” said the official.

The gag also had Mr. Obama play off his recent encounter with Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, a frequent vituperative critic of U.S. policy, who gave Mr. Obama a book when they met at the Summit of the Americas in Trinidad and Tobago last month.

The writers worked that into the pirate gag.

“Now let me be clear,” said the president of the pirate, “just because he handed me a copy of Peter Pan does not mean that I'm going to read it -- but it's good diplomatic practice to just accept these gifts.”

It wasn’t even close to the biggest laugh of the evening for President Obama – but for speechwriter Cody Keenan, it’s a highlight of his White House career. Maybe not.

But for the benefit of that historian 200 years from now, please stash this story in the presidential archives.

(CBS)

Mark Knoller is a CBS News White House correspondent. You can read more of his posts in Hotsheet here. You can also follow him on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/markknoller.

The video of it is here:

It's about 8:55 into the schtick...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/09/f...h_n_201264.html

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

::rolls eyes no smile::: Oh, good Lord. :P

A pirate in "negotiations" with the President, Ben Franklin standing amidst the crowd of people during the Tax Day Tea Parties, and that wee statement on homo sex in colonial America.

Don't ye feel a little... dirty? ;)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I just don't find it funny. And I thought Mr. Obama has more important things to do...

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

For those with little sense of history here, the event dates back to 1920. Many standing presidents have been featured at the event, which is basically an awards banquet and presentation of scholarships. For those still seething about the last election, even President Bush attended it and made fun of himself. It has become something of a tradition.

The president basically has dinner and delivers a speech, like he does countless times a year and over the years it has taken on the characteristics of a roast. It's a tradition that began when Calvin Coolidge showed up at the dinner in 1924. And old Cal wasn't even funny.

Find your sense of humor, mates. Wow!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Pirate to the President: "I knew Andrew Jackson and frankly, you're no Andrew Jackson"

Or "We fired our guns and the British kept a' comin',

but there wasn't quite as many,

as there was a while ago ....."

Edited by sutlerjon

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

Now that's funny! You know I do all 10 verses of that song. Or nine if I'm drunk.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny