thoughts on planning an event

Dutchman

OK Kiddies. I just left the museum and I have two tentative time frames for the School of the Sailor. The end of April or anytime in September. Its up to us. Whats the general consensus for a 1 1/2 day school, one day festival, one day recovery? This will be Mid chesapeake bay area so summer humidity sucks, but the water will be warm enough to enjoy- or- the weather will be beautiful, but water too cold to swim in. I need feedback to make a decision.

September is a slow month for re-enacting, so to me it seems ideal...

That and more selfishly the end of April may conflict with events back at home and may brush up too close against the Santa Maria event should it become and annual event.

On the downside, September may make things difficult for those with kids of school age, or those who work in the education industry.

Michael_banner.jpg

thats what i was thinking as well for the september gig. Ok parents and educators. when do schools go back in? maybe we can do this right before and make it an end of summer thing

schools begin anywhere from mid august until directly after labour day

quote name='bbcddutchman' date='May 15 2009, 07:42 PM' post='356534']

thats what i was thinking as well for the september gig. Ok parents and educators. when do schools go back in? maybe we can do this right before and make it an end of summer thing

But a Saturday/Sunday event in September is fine with me Since even if teaching full-time I'd be able to leave Friday night and get there by midnight and ready to go first thing in the morn and able to drive home Sunday evening

Um don't forget the River Ramble/Marcus Hook Event... which I believe is around Sept 18..., the crewe is going to be in the Plank House area...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

But a Saturday/Sunday event in September is fine with me Since even if teaching full-time I'd be able to leave Friday night and get there by midnight and ready to go first thing in the morn and able to drive home Sunday evening

ah mate you would be missin half the fun. you can roll in any time but lets try this on for size.

the grounds are closed except for us

arrive wed night/ thursday morn

thursday noon blocks of training open up. knot tieing, small boat building, rowing lessons on the explorer, history of ???

friday all day waterfront is open for small boats more classes if you like.

saturday and sunday festival open to the public

roll out monday

Donations in the bucket to go towards Colonial Seaport Foundation and the museum, otherwise no cost to attend for vendors or participants (festival goers pay for parking) - blanket sales permitted within reason, camping permitted on grounds but split into period vs current- no motor homes, sorry museums rule. There are two motels and a few B&B's in town.

Food- the museum "bistro" has offered the use of the facility and a few volunteers. Head counts would be needed. I'm working on a rotating menu and keeping the food costs down. The local grocery store (the only grocery store) is warming to the idea of packing pre ordered boxes for visiting folks. no discounts, but your stuff will be there which for our small town is good news in the summer. the museum is *ahem* dry until well after hours.

porta potties will already be there for another event later in the month so tis free for us. Water on site is good for washing. you can drink it if you like, but the well is below the flood flat and water smells like sulfur so well need to truck it in.

So the fine print. everyone participating is asked to donate to the cause and contribute back to the event. Contributing back consists of either working the kitchen for a shift or sponsoring a teaching block or living history site on the weekend. any thoughts?

Make it toward the end of Sept. then. Getting weekdays off when work is just starting, isn't going to happen...at least for schools in VA... or make it before Labor Day.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/