WWII (for Memorial Day)

A good friend of mine (who is very active with VFW,VA and all of the local Veterans groups) asked me if I would help him this weekend..... OK... putting up flags on the graves of the fallen.... that is an honor.... but he also wants me to help with a kinda "demo".... I had to look-up the manual of Arms(It's been about 30 years since I did that.....I can remember almost alla it tho...(U.S.Army Infantry 1976 - 1980) , and I kinda-sorta have a WWII uniform (well other than the shirt (1))

But my question is....

I've kinda grown attached to my beard..... Now Ompah/Robert says that the old vets will be happy enough seeing someone making an attempt.... But if I'm going to do something, I kinda think I should do it right...... but I don't wanna shave off my beard......

So I'm kinda "torn"....

"look at what they sacrificed..." so shaving to do it right shouldn't be that much of a problem......(even if the shirt is wrong?)

But....

"hey... it's only for one afternoon......"

SO I would like to hear/read other opinions......

(1) I have been collecting U.S.A WWII equipment and uniform parts for awhile.... other than the helmet suspension that is later period. and I don't have a shirt (reproduction or original), most of my stuff is 1944 or earlier.... Well and I'm not 100% positive about the ammo belt.....I think it might be from the Korean War....

Patrick, think of it as you did when you donated your hair to "Locks of Love". It's for a darn good cause and the beard will grow back.

I think it's wonderful that you are willing to give your time to help your friend. My father was a WWII vet (Navy) and was honored last year to have a military funeral. I can't tell you how much I appreciated the volunteers that participated in the service. I'm sure no matter what your decision is, the families of the fallen will truly appreciate your efforts.

THANK YOU

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Patrick I thank you for your time for our Veterans.

I think it would probably be most correct to shave it, but if you just groom yourself so your beard looks nice and clean, I don't think anyone will find offense in that. I'm sure everyone understands that you are not in the military and are probably just happy that you are willing to go out and volunteer your time. =) It's good to know that there are people that support our vets and our military men and women.

Good luck and take pictures!

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

If you need help on this decision, then answer these two questions.

1. Why do you hand sew your pirate clothing when 99% of the public can’t tell the difference?

2. If you are honoring veterans by replicating their image why would your standards be lower than when portraying a pirate?

Does this help with the decision?

Fair winds,

-Greydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Welll.... I didn't shave it all off, but trimmed it really short.....I'll shave my cheeks and chin tomorrow, so it doesn't keep looking too stubbly......right now, it looks like something from a Bill Mauldin cartoon.... (Willy and Joe...)

Anyway, it was for the American Legion's Armed Forces Day Picnic.

WWIIPATT.jpg

tomorrow I'm going to help Robert and Marge put flags on the Veterans graves in Murphys..... (just not in uniform)