Spyglass!

darkthing

Those of you in need of a good spyglass should check out the seller "bargainresource" on eBay. I just got a fine one from them:

Leather and Brass Spyglass on eBay

They seem to have this spyglass available in constant rotation, though it ain't up right now.

This item fits my needs exactly:

1) A BIG spyglass at a full 33" when open, not one of those froofy 15 inch numbers.

2) A new item, not an antique, so the lenses aren't foggy. Also, if I bash it up in a drunken stupor I won't feel it's a crime against humanity.

3) (There is no item 3)

4) Nicely darkened patina on the brass makes it look vintage, not like those shiny brass desk models.

The optics are fine for what it is, though not as sharp as modern binoculars, and I look forward to hauling it along on the next sail of the Royaliste (Cap'n Gary willin') to spy out the Aldebaron before she gets too close.

Now all I gotta do is figger a way to tie it to me belt.

:ph34r:

Nice purchase. And at a good price too. I agree with Point #1: these small repros lately are completely useless and have no traditional feel to them. Although Point #3 is a bit disturbing: sellers nowadays often get into the bad habit of skipping this important aspect. B)

Not sure I care about it being only a 10x. Seems kinda weak, but then again ... probably more realistic for the era.

Richard

Not sure I care about it being only a 10x. Seems kinda weak, but then again ... probably more realistic for the era.

Magnification is a bit of a tradeoff in any case. The higher the mag, the more detail you see, but it gets harder to hold the image steady. For a hand-held instrument on a rolling deck, 10x seems like a fair compromise.