Bay Area Penzance!

Cracked Carrie

Ahoy, Bay Area pirates!

There be a sing-along performance of "Pirates of Penzance", performed/led by the Lamplighters--our very own local and highly acclaimed G&S company. It be scheduled for Saturday, February 28th at the Herbst Theater in San Francisco, and Sunday, February 29th (Leap Year Day) at the Dean Lesher Regional Center for the Arts in Walnut Creek.

People can sing whatever part they like. Are you a baritone and always wanted to sing "Poor Wand'ring One"? Now's the time to do it.

Folks're also encourage to come in costume.

Arrrrr!

How silly will this be?

Sadly, I won't get to see it. I'll be down in Los Angeles during those times (doin' something VERY fun, at least)...but I thought I'd bring it up so others might be able to enjoy. So, while some of us might not be able to get up further north to see Cap'n Slappy's sojurn as Pirate King (that'll be something amazing to see!), there's at least the (ahem) booby prize of a sing-along locally.

Anyone interested? Quill? Redd? Penny? Royaliste? Bueller?

Discuss! :ph34r:

If'n I recall, some of those Pirates o' Penzance songs are a mite tricky! Ain't that where the "Modern Major General" tongue-twister is from? I fear my singin' voice wouldna be up to it! What level o' singin proficiency do they recommend for this?

If'n I recall, some of those Pirates o' Penzance songs are a mite tricky! Ain't that where the "Modern Major General" tongue-twister is from? I fear my singin' voice wouldna be up to it! What level o' singin proficiency do they recommend for this?

Ye know...I'm lookin' at the article right now, an' here's what it says. (And I quote. Ahem!)

"Come dressed as a pirate, or a fair maiden, or as any G&S character, or just come as you are," said Lamplighters Artistic Director Barbara Heroux. "We'll provide the lyrics; you provide the music."

I would guess that there will be varying levels of singing ability/music-reading ability, etc. And, sort of like at a Sing-Along "Messiah"...part of the secret is either:

A. Standing near someone who is on-key with your part, and won't send you veering off course. Um. As it were.

Or...

B. Just not caring all that much and figuring that the thunder of everyone belting stuff out around you will pretty much hide any transgressions.

But yeah...G&S can have quick patter and be a bit complex. Sounds like fun, anyway. If I wasn't down in LA during that time, I'd be going! And while I can carry a tune in a bucket...I'm no opera singer!

"With information animal, ve-ge-ta-ble, or mineral he is the very model of a modern major gen-er-al!" :ph34r:

Ye don't need to be an opera singer, Love. It's just like skiing...stand on the planks and let the force of gravity take you the rest o' the way!!!! :ph34r:

Oh, and havin' a beer, or six doesn't hurt either. :ph34r::lol::lol:

I heartily subscribe to the Richard Burton school of theater!

Cap'n Sloppy

Oh, and havin' a beer, or six doesn't hurt either. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Cap'n Sloppy

I wonder if I can get away with a beer or six before doin' the little dorky number we'll be doin' down in LA.

Ye know...ye might be onto somethin' there...

Good idea!

O' course, a drunk pirate is probably more fun than a drunk hobbit...or maybe not.

But I digress into another hobby. So...back to pirates! And Pirate Kings and Major Generals and LEAP YEAR DAYS!

Arrrr! Don't forget them tricky leap year days...

Oh, and havin' a beer, or six doesn't hurt either. :ph34r:   :lol:   :ph34r:

Cap'n Sloppy

I wonder if I can get away with a beer or six before doin' the little dorky number we'll be doin' down in LA.

Ye know...ye might be onto somethin' there...

Good idea!

O' course, a drunk pirate is probably more fun than a drunk hobbit...or maybe not.

But I digress into another hobby. So...back to pirates! And Pirate Kings and Major Generals and LEAP YEAR DAYS!

Arrrr! Don't forget them tricky leap year days...

Aye Cracked Carrie! I think we figured that "Young Frederick" will be Thirty-six (going by "BIRTHDAYS") this Feb. 29th. (Someone pointed out that the year 2000 didn't have a Leap Day) :ph34r:

Ye'd think we would have better things to do...like study our lines and learn our pranin' and caperin' :lol:

Let's get Frederick a birthday cake! :lol::ph34r:

Cap'n Slappy

Aye Cracked Carrie! I think we figured that "Young Frederick" will be Thirty-six (going by "BIRTHDAYS") this Feb. 29th. (Someone pointed out that the year 2000 didn't have a Leap Day) :ph34r:

Ye'd think we would have better things to do...like study our lines and learn our pranin' and caperin' :ph34r:

Let's get Frederick a birthday cake! :ph34r::lol:

Cap'n Slappy

36 and havin' gone through 148 years!

Now THAT's my idea of aging!!!!

:lol:

"A birthday? Oh, I love birthdays...cakes all around!"

And nay...why on earth would ye want to learn yer lines? Why, what would happen to that heart-sinkin' rush o' terror when yer standin' in the wings and suddenly think...

"Oh damn. I suppose I shouldn't've been cuttin' up quite so much when we were goin' over the blocking..."

Would ye really want to lose that?

(If ye get him a cake, post photos.)

And nay...why on earth would ye want to learn yer lines? Why, what would happen to that heart-sinkin' rush o' terror when yer standin' in the wings and suddenly think...

"Oh damn. I suppose I shouldn't've been cuttin' up quite so much when we were goin' over the blocking..."

Would ye really want to lose that?

(If ye get him a cake, post photos.)

B) Have ye been readin' me dreams, Lass?!? B)B)B)

I keep tellin' meself..."I did Lear...I can certainly do this...right?" B)

I hope we get a picture of the cake and if we do...I'll post it!

Cap'n Slappy