Your "outline" for POTC 4

Jib

What would POTC 4 look like if you wrote the tale? Just a show us a brief outline and not a full fan-fic script (we have another place for those :( ).

:::ponders::: I've usually reservations about saying anything of this sort.... but I have mentioned there are MANY aspects they can still use for another movie or more - New Orleans Square and the underground. What's about that the cavern with the large fancy bed that has the skeleton in it? They could possibly use Billy Bones as well plus Jolly Roger from the Online game. Oh, and I'll spare ye the mass amounts of what more they could still use, too. Plus, the movies have a repetitive nature to them in some topics or the sort, so.. maybe a return of Calypso.

:::Shrugs::: I know I be vague there. But, well, I shan't be givin' away what secrets they could very well still possibly use.

But I highly doubt that the next story will be about them searching for the Fountain of Youth. Jack and Barbossa has been added (even if for special occassions or whatever) to WDW so in my opinion, those two have already found the Fountain of Youth.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Actually I think the Fountain of Youth thing might fit into the movie. There is the Castillo de San Marcos a Fort Matanzas sitting right hear which could (with a bit of CG) make great sets for such a film, and unlike Singapore, they actually existed during the GAoP. It might also be interesting to see the pirates actually commit an act of piracy, but that probably won't happen, too politically incorrect at the moment.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

Let's get rid of that fop Sparrow, the emo elf, and that anorexic tart.

Maybe the back story on Barbossa?

Agreed. Jack was one of the worst parts of POTC, I mean come on the guy was an awful pirate and who isn't sick of seeing Jack Sparrows at every f*ing event you attend???? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Depp most of the time, and I enjoyed the movies, but I enjoyed them because of Geoffry Rush's great performance as Barbossa.

GageSig.png

:::grins heartily::: Ahhh... warms m' black heart t' hear how much ye prefer Barbossa over Sparrow. :)

Ehhh... forget a script and sending it in... how's about fan films? Like what some do with the Star Wars films? Hmm?

Backstory? Interesting idea.. but I hope not.

Story continuing forward is best. Besides... at the time Will returns and there's the wee kid... wouldn't it be about time for th' Seven Years War perhaps? Tensions rising, etc once again? Freedom rings, that sort of thing?

Ye never know. :D

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Bring back gravity and physics. If I see another sword fight out on a yard arm during a storm while circling a maelstrom, I'm going to puke.

Dumbest scene ever.

I'm with William ....but then it wouldn't be PoTC.

I couldn't write a script for PoTC and if they keep going the direction thy are going I don't know that I will even want to see another. It requires too much suspension of disbelief.

I think they are set good t' grow th' franchise in two direction: One with Barbossa as th' lead, after all, in th' ending of "At World's End" was it not Barbossa who sailed off with th' Pearl?

The second could be about Will's son, th' next generation o' pirate upon th' seas, perhaps his quest t' set he's own father free o' th' Pearl.

Let Jack be some cameo or somethin fer a while, or perhaps that ending scene that appear after th' credits.

See'n as how it be Disney, th' whole concept o' them nay-sayers who demand "reality" tis obviously miss-directed - Taint Gonna Happen in a Disney film gents! So how about some more sea mythology; how about some scenes with mermaids - But NOT Redhead'd ones! or some with Neptune, perhaps "The Kraken's Son's Revenge". I would like t' see them use some story lines show'n th' corruption o' government in th' days, express some more o' "why some turn'd t' piracy". Perhaps, for those purists who think Disney actually portrays reality, introduce some real or slightly off-real pirate characters...but not Blackbeard, oh I like Tech but this not be his film, perhaps Bellamy or Kidd, even Calico 'n Anne might work.

:P

I know! Add a brand New character t' th' mix: Pirate Mad L!

::crew in th' aft begin t' shout; "AYE!"::

:P

Edited by MadL

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

So then why not a few of ya'll get together and write the script then send it to Disney???

No, no... don't so that...

It will only go to legal and get shipped back unread. :angry:

Too much work for no attention.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

No, the first film had gravity. When Jack and Will are fighting in the rafters of the smithy they stumble and do the frantic arm waving one associates with people trying to keep their balance from a height. They did this in a stationary building.

Later...and under circumstances that would make real people cling for their lives...there is nothing of gravity. The story becomes little more than the most outlandish 'tall tale' exaggeration, placing the characters beyond mortal belief. When characters are beyond the pale of any threat, they cease to be interesting. They survive all unscathed and become boring parodies of real people. Story telling of this kind lacks the lifeblood of immortality and we soon return to it with the dawning wonder that we ever found it appealing.

A good story teller cheats less and less in the progression of a tale. Not more and more.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Here is what I think is an original thought.

What about a prequel? Go back and tell the story before the first movie. I think we would all like to see more of Barbosa and there he will be an up and coming captain. The paying public gets to see Jack Sparrow and we all get saved from Miss Swan and the blacksmith. Sort of the Hobbit of the POTC series.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

A good story teller cheats less and less in the progression of a tale. Not more and more.

Aye, point made. The second movie pushed it a bit, I can't stand the scene with the water wheel, but I believe they still had gravity.

I love backstories. It lets us see why the people became the way they are in retrospect.

So maybe why Jack Sparrow is the way he is.

I would LOVE to see a backstory on Barbossa. Maybe even the mutiny done.

Mutiny on the Black Pearl.

Yeah.

And I bet a woman was involved.......

Taking on the world....one pair of boots at a time!

A little bit of this...a little bit of that...a lot of dreams....

Bring back gravity and physics. If I see another sword fight out on a yard arm during a storm while circling a maelstrom, I'm going to puke.

Dumbest scene ever.

Right up there with Indiana Jones surviving a nuclear blast while shut inside a 1950s era refrigerator. After that, who cares what happens to him?

As with the last three Star Wars movies, and the last Indiana Jones movie, writers and directors need to keep in mind that a good story is more valuable that a ton of CGI. The first pyrate movie had a good, believable story, even with the cursed pyrates. After that, the movies just kept getting more and more rediculous.

Although, the last movie did have one of my favorite lines from the whole series:

"If I were in a divulgitory mood, what then might I divulge?" (Said by Sparrow to Beckett)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

*Ahem.*

First there is some kid singing some song just before the first situation is presented. Then we see the main characters get into the first situation which looks absolutely hopeless, but turns out not to be. In the process of said situation, all the main characters are introduced. There is some action, possibly some explosions, but nothing like what's yet to come.

The titles roll. The orchestra swells, causing Hans Zimmer to get more credit for music that his minions wrote and he rubber stamped.

Then there is a bunch of set up that may or may not be linked to the opening situation. The villain is introduced - probably a corporation or government in some form. A mystical element is presented that creates monsters somehow linked to pirates and/or seamen. Hopefully this involves skeletons, but probably not. With any luck it doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with Calypso or Davy Jones. If the villain is not a corporation or government of some form, it is the mystical element. There is impending danger to the pirates/main characters or their way of life or their relatives.

Jack is alternatively silly and devious. This is all very witty and fun and probably features a visit to Port Royal at some point. Jack and Barbossa verbally riposte and this is the highlight of the movie. Pintel and Ragetti get a lot of exposition disguised as comic relief. Some sort of romantic story is introduced which includes people from different classes of society who want to be together, but shouldn't be.

A battle or something similar happens. The heroes are bested. Beaten and dejected, they go somewhere to lick their wounds and prepare for the final battle. Some key to unraveling the villains, obtaining the needed McGuffin or finding the missing piece of the central puzzle is discovered. Jack the Monkey is featured in some humorous situations to lighten the mood. The main characters gird their loins in preparation for the upcoming battle. One of the main characters realizes that they must make some personally morally repugnant decision to achieve their goal.

The final battle takes place. Several situations occur simultaneously as we alternate between various heroes or groups of heroes who battle various pockets of villains and/or mystical monsters. This includes non-stop action, lightened with comic moments to keep the audience's interest. CGI stuff is slopped liberally all over the screen. All looks lost. Then the tide turns simultaneously in each situation. All looks good. This includes several Bruckheimer "over-the-top" explosions; far beyond what could have ever actually happened with cannon and gunpowder during period. The villain is smited. The mystical element is tamed or removed or given peace. The romantic crises is resolved in favor of twue wove. The morally repugnant action is taken by the main character, the result of which is that...

The film overruns its suggested audience attention span running time by a good 10 minutes. The morally repugnant action somehow places the main characters (most likely including Jack) in an ultimately anti-climactic situation which they did not foresee. All looks dire. If there is to be a Pyrrhic victory to set up a sequel, it will happen here followed by a swell of an intense version of the POTC main theme. If not, there will be a cute joke or pithy comment followed by a slightly less intense version of the POTC main theme. The door is left open for a sequel.

The end.

The critics say it is a summer movie and hopefully approve or disapprove of it based on the standard of summer movies rather than that of, say, The Third Man. Many of the older fans of POTC movies are disappointed and pick apart minutiae on websites all over the 'net. If it doesn't do $200M at the box office, the studio begins mulling the idea of "re-booting" or "re-imagining" the series to "keep it fresh."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

:rolleyes: Actually, I think that was the Cliff Notes version! LOL

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Yeah, whaddaya want? It's a POTC movie generator. Just plug in the following:

Mystical Element - associated with the sea or seamen or pirates or, failing all that, fantasy lore

Stock Hero - Bold, Intense & Yearning for...something he can't get where he is

Stock Heroine - Attractive, Independent, Intelligent but Willing to Play Second Banana to a bunch of guys

(Note Stock Hero and Stock Heroine must be from different social or ethereal classes)

Stock Villain - Wants to Thwart Pirates or at least Jack Sparrow

Mystical Element Leader - If not the Stock Villain, must be Misunderstood

Several scary and/or slightly comical mystical henchmen.

Lots of bright red garbed British soldiers

Fantastic Locations including

one (1) Villain's Lair and/or Ship,

one (1) candle lit Pub,

two or more (2+) ships (excluding the Black Pearl which is a given),

one (1) British-owned colony.

May also include several historically pirate-related ports or islands and a fantastic location around which much of the action revolves. (If they follow up on the broad hints in the last movie, this would be the Fountain of Youth set which will feature lots of unworldly blue lighting, skulls and smoke.)

Also, if they can find some corner in the back of the ride which they haven't evoked yet, that should be popped into the background somewhere. A few references to other movies (The Dollars trilogy, James Bond, or other successful series) is also a good bet. If nothing else works, that makes the movie geeks happy. (I am a movie geek.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG