Gray Paint?

For a less-that-fully-accurate project, I am using gray paints for "pirate" gear.

It got me wondering . . .

In the 17-teens, how prominent or common was gray paint?

What was it made from?

What were the resultant shadings?

Some of the stuff in-process or in-planning look pretty good and I was wondering how common grays were in the real-auld-days.

Of course it was possible: they had whites and black, so they could have created grays. The question was DID they?

I sure haven't seen much to any in illustrations, historical based or fantasy.

What was the "fashion" in colors (paint-wise) of 1715-1725-ish?

- Or is that a WHOLE other question/issue?

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I believe some where on the pub there is a thread about paint colors for ships... search colors, paint and see what you come up with...sorry don't have time to do it myself.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Much later time frame, but the gun carraiges on the HMS Surprise are painted a yellowish gray. Interesting aside, the metal parts of non bearing surfaces were covered with the tar slurry that was used to cover the served and parcelled standing rigging. gun tubes, even pistols covered in that gunk for preservation. 100% authenticity would be depressing I think, prabably lead to great advancements in technology.

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become