Sloop

First question would be what do you want to use said sloop for?

I live aboard a 28.5 ft. LOA Pearson Triton, it is much smaller than your averaging cruising boat, but maintenance costs, procurement cost and dockage are much less than a larger boat. My solution may not work for you though, so a basic idea of what your needs are would help find an appropriate solution, for example,

1. What will you be using said sloop for?

2. How much sailing experience do you have?

3. Roughly, how much is your project budget?

4. Do you want a turn key boat, a project boat, or something in between?

5. Is this a day sailor, a weekender, or for extended cruising/living aboard?

6. Any construction preferences (fiberglass, steel, wood)?

7. What dockage solution do you have (driveway, on the hard, in water)?

My baby...

KAHOLEEatStillPondCreekMD.jpg

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand, unless, of course it's over 40 ft. LOA then it's Ten-thousand... :unsure:

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

They're ALL project boats. A boat that is "done" is a boat on the market. I've got a little Cape Dory myself. Nice to see someone else on an alberg.

Ropework_Header.jpg

WOW!

There actually ARE Sloops for sale!!!

I was half-serious, half-persona.

(Note: NO mention was made of PAYING for said sloop)

I do want one!

However, in the last 2 days, life has intervened. I have less money that I thought.

To get one, I'll just have to steal one . . .

I hope it works for me better than for many of my predecessors . . .

Taking off the persona:

How much is a decent 30-ish footer sailer?

I have sailed before, but it has a while back and I'm not sure how much I'd remember. I probably should get re-trained.

Anyways, the closest body of water is Lake Greenwood and I have an 09 Scion xB or a Grand Caravan to pull it, so it ain't gonna happen right now.

I might get a small one in the not-to-distant future, but not for now.

I now want to do some research for a real thing!

Any brands/models recommended?

It will be a weekend/day trip sailer to "tool" around a land-locked lake.

It also needs to be able to be handled by one person (me) without too much difficulty and carry 5-6 people.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Just today a friend called me and asked if I wanted to have a small sloop for free.

I hate you.

LOL

Seriously... people around here want anywhere from $500-$800 just for little 8 foot Jon boat, and those aren't worth spitting on. The 13 1/2 foot Jon I have right now is going to have ALOT of work done to transform it into a dory-like mini-sloop, but I'd REALLY like to have something I can get my whole crew aboard, which right now is about 18 people.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

watched a liquidation auction today. twenty boats- sizes varied from 20 ft cabin cruiser to 58 ft steel ketch. none over $10,000. market is glutted in virginia. marinas are regularly posting abandoned vessel notices as well around here. the boats aren't bad, but do need a little cosmetic work from sitting out a few seasons.

They're ALL project boats. A boat that is "done" is a boat on the market. I've got a little Cape Dory myself. Nice to see someone else on an alberg.

You can get a more or less turn key boat (sails, anchors, electronics etc) but of course you will still need life jackets, first aid kits, pots, pans, and so forth. Problem with this approach it is the high dollar way to go sailing.

I have a friend with a Cape Dory 27, very nice boat indeed. And I do love the lines of Alberg's boats. I was walking the dock when I saw my baby. It was love at first sight.

There are free boats available, but they are generally very neglected and require a lot of work. If you tackle one of these the rebuilding process can be very rewarding and you will know your craft inside and out. If you are interested in going this route PM me and I'll send you some websites which will be of assistance.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

Where is the boat?

How BAD is it?

North of Key Largo at Manatee Bay, I am sure the bottom needs alot of work. There is no engine/outboard, other than that I don't know. I have no place to put it other than at anchor and what would I do with it since I already have a sailboat that is larger but small enough to comfortably day sail

id.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Where is the boat?

How BAD is it?

North of Key Largo at Manatee Bay, I am sure the bottom needs alot of work. There is no engine/outboard, other than that I don't know. I have no place to put it other than at anchor and what would I do with it since I already have a sailboat that is larger but small enough to comfortably day sail

How big is the boat? I live in Marathon and I'm interested