He's Feisty He's fighting He's 75!

Merrydeath

Well Blow Me Down! Popeye Turns 75

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Maybe Popeye owes his longevity to all that vitamin-rich spinach.

The ``Ugg, ugg, ugg''-ing cartoon sailorman who gets his superior punching power by guzzling greens from a tin can is celebrating his 75th anniversary Saturday.

King Features Syndicate, which owns the rights to Popeye, is planning a yearlong series of events to relaunch interest in the pipe-tooting mariner with the outsized forearms, including a new 3-D animated TV special written by ``Mad About You'' comedian Paul Reiser.

That special is set for broadcast next holiday season.

Meanwhile, this weekend in New York City, the Empire State Building plans to shine its tower lights green from sundown to midnight ``in honor of Popeye's enormous love of spinach,'' according to King Features.

Popeye began life in 1929 in the popular ``Thimble Theatre'' comic strip as a limited story line guest. He graduated to movie shorts, many by the renowned animator Max Fleischer.

Popeye battled everything from sassy goats to the bloated bad-guy Bluto while pursuing the affection of girlfriend Olive Oyl. He even appeared in a video game in the 1980s, collecting falling hearts from his rail-shaped love.

Robin Williams played the bulging-armed character in Robert Altman's 1980 musical movie ``Popeye.''

On the Net:

http://www.kingfeatures.com/

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Today be me dear mother's birthday as well, and she is also 75.

I don't think I'll remind her that she shares a birthday with Popeye. :lol:

Happy Birthday, Popeye the Sailor Man!

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Arr we pirates owe much ter Mr. Eye fer he "pronunskiation" of the nautical vernacular!

One Spinach Birthday Pie comin' up, matey!

Ohhhhh He's Popeye the Sailor Man,

He lives in a fyin' pan...

He turned on the gas

and he burned off his ***

He's Popeye the Sailor Man!!

Toot-toot!

:lol:

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

I was looking for some info on Popeye, and found this link. Popeye and friends were based on real people.. who'd a thunk it?

popeye and friends

popeye page

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Popeye's home is in Chester, IL. right on the banks of the Mighty Mississippii. It was the home town of his creator. A few years back I traveled through Chester with Zorg and his wife, She Who Must Be Obeyed. :lol: They took a pictures of me beside a bronze statue of Popeye over looking the river. I think I took some pictures of them but, the photos are packed away. :lol:

I wonder if Chester is planning any celebration.

I think Zorg told me that Popeye was based on river sailors and not sea sailors. Is that right Zorg?

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I would post the pic, but I am in a dang hurry this morn.. here is a pic of the statue, with a statement about varmints pillaging his pipe..

Must be the dang privateers!

statue in Chester, Ill.

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

:ph34r: A-Zibiddy-zabitty...One 'o me 'ero's, for sure inspired me sleeve, jus' thinkin' 'o 'is arms!!

tat1.jpg

......................"Wait 'ere. Olive!!

:ph34r:

*Blink*

Ye know...I never realized ye had a sleeve. Come to think of it, I guess I've never seen ye without a full-sleeve shirt on.

Great work! :ph34r:

(Observant? Me? Far from it, apparently!) :lol:

An' happy birthday, Popeye, ye ole scalliwag!

Jeesh!..An' I wuz thinkin' a few years back that I finally had a tat that wasn't too little to see!! B)B)B)

B)

Weell, Royaliste, it's ALL relative. If you've got someone aboard who actually is OBSERVANT, the situation might turn out differently!

B)

Alms! Alms! Alms fer the puir blind pyrate...

Ah, to hell with that:

C'mere, you! Stand and deliver! I missed the tat but I ain't missed the jingle in her pocket! B)

Well happy berthday to master Popeye. may his plnder be much. And his wench be willing.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

• 2 weeks later...

Popeye is still one of my favorite sailors (Max Fleischer only). I can watch him all day, especially when he's fightin' Sinbad the Sailor (as played by that underrated actor, Bluto). My grandson loves him too. And pirates o' course. Bless ya Popeye! :huh:

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

• 2 weeks later...

That's cool they be plannin a tv special for the guy.

I used to watch him all the time on many different stations that carried his toons back when I was a wee little sandpiper. I don't think he's really been on in years.

Hey does anybody remember the "Red Barn" fast food franchize and the Popeye glasses they had back in the 70s?

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>