tarred wool garments

Dutchman

cookie was wondering about knit wool garments for cold weather gear. as with my love of pinetar- the topic turned to tarred wool. i found a couple of interesting things after a quick google search. the scottish had a large quantity of "tarred woole" sitting around in the early 1600's which they agreed to export rather than let it go bad. and this from scotland again in 1706-

And after some reasoning, a proposall was given in for adding a clause in these terms: and for remeeding the loss woolmasters may suffer and for encouraging the manufactoring of tarred wool within the kingdome, and to prevent effectually the exporting therof, it is provided and declared that for the space of seven years after the union, when the tarred wool within the shyres of Roxburgh, Selkrig and Tweedale is at four pounds Scots or under for the stone weight, fifteen shillings Scots shall be paid of premium for every stone weight of tarred wool to every woolmaster who within a moneth after the said tarred wool is clipped or shorn off the sheep shall, by his own oath or the oaths of two habile witnesses before any judge ordinar, make appear that the number of stones of tarred wool specified in the said oaths were really and truely clipped and shorn from sheep in Scotland properly belonging to the persons mentioned in the saids oaths, and which praemium shall be payed by the next collector of cess, excise or customes upon delivering to them the foresaid depositions signed by the deponents and judge foresaid, with a receipt of the money, and the said collectors and each of them shall be personally lyable for the said praemium upon instruments taken against them in case of refuseall, and the foresaid depositions and receipt shall be allowed to the said collectors as an exoneration in their accompts pro tanto.

So I figured the tar was painted on after the garment was made- this seems to lead me in the other direction. it was spun with tar then made into garments. does anyone have any ideas about tarred wool and how about knitted garments- like a sweater- in general as opposed to cut and sewn wool fabric for the period

Edited by bbcddutchman

Tarred wool (asked my 89 year old aunt/Harris Tweed spinner-weaver)at the time might have been wool spun from unwashed/processed wool with all the natural oils/lanolin still in the wool it is quite naturally waterproof and also a bit odoriferous ....smells of old sheep all the time

....smells of old sheep all the time

Like my Gunner... oops did I write that outloud?! :rolleyes:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Just personal experience.

I have tarred some knitted monmouth caps with stolkholm tar. I don't think it would be possible to tar then knit. It all comes out a sticky mess. While the lanolin in the wool naturally provides some waterproof qualities, its the fulling (which binds the actual wool fibers to each other) and the tarring that would really do the job.

GoF

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

cookie was wondering about knit wool garments for cold weather gear. as with my love of pinetar- the topic turned to tarred wool. i found a couple of interesting things after a quick google search. the scottish had a large quantity of "tarred woole" sitting around in the early 1600's which they agreed to export rather than let it go bad. and this from scotland again in 1706-

And after some reasoning, a proposall was given in for adding a clause in these terms: and for remeeding the loss woolmasters may suffer and for encouraging the manufactoring of tarred wool within the kingdome, and to prevent effectually the exporting therof, it is provided and declared that for the space of seven years after the union, when the tarred wool within the shyres of Roxburgh, Selkrig and Tweedale is at four pounds Scots or under for the stone weight, fifteen shillings Scots shall be paid of premium for every stone weight of tarred wool to every woolmaster who within a moneth after the said tarred wool is clipped or shorn off the sheep shall, by his own oath or the oaths of two habile witnesses before any judge ordinar, make appear that the number of stones of tarred wool specified in the said oaths were really and truely clipped and shorn from sheep in Scotland properly belonging to the persons mentioned in the saids oaths, and which praemium shall be payed by the next collector of cess, excise or customes upon delivering to them the foresaid depositions signed by the deponents and judge foresaid, with a receipt of the money, and the said collectors and each of them shall be personally lyable for the said praemium upon instruments taken against them in case of refuseall, and the foresaid depositions and receipt shall be allowed to the said collectors as an exoneration in their accompts pro tanto.

So I figured the tar was painted on after the garment was made- this seems to lead me in the other direction. it was spun with tar then made into garments. does anyone have any ideas about tarred wool and how about knitted garments- like a sweater- in general as opposed to cut and sewn wool fabric for the period

mexicosky

HELLO

I was following a rabbit down a different hole, and come on this web posting.

I am a volunteer for 2009 The Trailing of the Sheep Festival in Idaho USA

WWW.trailingofthesheep.org

Looking, for any thing to do with sheep, wool and history from Art, dancers, musicians,spinners,weavers,knitters,? We are also inviting Sheep Ranchers and businesses involved with using wool as insulation.

This 3-day Festival draws as many as 10,000 people each year from Idaho and around the world. The Trailing of the Sheep is real Idaho life that has been ongoing for nearly a century and is our living history today.

Looking for Historical stories and Vendor's for The Trailing of the Sheep Festival in Idaho USA October 9th -11th 2009

mexicosky

• 2 weeks later...