Wanted: Cannon barrel, approx 2 feet long

I am making my 2009 Scion xB "Highland Revenge" into a pirate themed box for shows.

Accordingly, I need a pair of cannon barrels that are approx. 2 feet long. I'll need to make carriages to fit, but I have been unable to locate cannon barrels to the specs I'll need.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

I am making my 2009 Scion xB "Highland Revenge" into a pirate themed box for shows.

Accordingly, I need a pair of cannon barrels that are approx. 2 feet long. I'll need to make carriages to fit, but I have been unable to locate cannon barrels to the specs I'll need.

What's your idea of relativly cheap?

id.jpg

What's your idea of relativly cheap?

As I want to be able to pick them up and have zero need to fire them (couldn't at most car shows) . . .

I'm not looking for ones in authentic cast metal. The firing cannons would be serious overkill (and possibly illegal at some show venues).

I'm not sure exactly, but $20-100/150, per I guess. The figure isn't accurate.

Let me know what is available. I'm convinced that there MUST be decent stage props somewhere, but haven't been able to find any.

Decent look TOY ones that are 20-26 inches long?

I want better than a simple tube or papermache and less than firing cast metal.

I am going to have them pointing out the rearward side windows.

I am also making a wood "deck" covering the folded seats and adding rope rings to the deck and using rope diagrams to accurately have them tied down.

I'll post picts when I get something actually put together half-way decent.

Edited by Wages

One option you might want to consider is painted turned wood canons. I was at the fundraiser for Pirates In Paynetown yesterday and someone had a turned wooden cannon that was about 3 feet long and about 5 to 6 inches in diameter... It was painted black and it looked perfect.... Until someone picked it up and you realized that there was no way someone could lift that much cast iron.

It would take a bit of work and access to a reasonably heavy duty lathe, but it is an option.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Michael_banner.jpg

i have seen a couple a PVC pipe cannons....can look menacing even from up close...but dont try an fire em...oof!?!

Any picts or links?

I was thinking of that route as a possibility.

I am also sending out "feelers" for someone with a lathe who could spin one for me.

And a benefit with the PVC cannons is that you can hook up a CO2 fire extinguisher and make them "fire" safely. All visual, of course, but it would be a nice effect. I've seen a 6lb Civil War cannon set up that way out of pvc so they could blow the wheel off the carriage during a battle. Even up close, it looked just like the other 6 lb artillery pieces there. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

An alternate idea to the turned wood is fiberglass. It's an easy medium to work with. I'd start with a piece of pvc, build up the rings, trunnions, etc. from whatever you can find by just gluing them temporarily into place and then glass over the whole thing. Painted, it should turn out well. You can also consider a carbide cannon if you are wanting a safe bang.

Ropework_Header.jpg

Ahoy Wages,

One thing about mounting stuff to your car.... keep it as light as possible. We have a lot of stuff mounted on the Hellion, but all light weight and mounted so solidly that I believe the top of the van would tear off before anything came loose in an accident. Thats my (and will be yours) greatest fear. Turning a barrel out of pine shouldn't weigh much, but adding carriage etc.. well.

hellion09.JPG

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

For this PARTICULAR purpose . . .

I'm thinking of a PVC one for now.

I have devised a 3-4" wide barrel that is 20-24 inches long. It should be cheap enough for now.

I'll add picts when I actual buy some materials.

I might also borrow an idea from the Hellion picts and have temporary (on magnets) "cannon ports" with PVC cannon tips along the side . . .

That would be pretty cheap by the time I make them. I'll post picts too.

This is WAY more Farb-ie than I am usually interested in . . .

But HEY, it is on a SCION/CAR/BOX and NOT actually a ship/boat/sloop. It is motor powered, not wind, and silver metal, not wood.

I'll be back to my more serious stuff soon.

Oh, I am thinking of applying to the University of South Carolina for the History PhD program and may have a pirate-related thesis idea. I have noticed the marked LACK of good reference material (available to the arm-chair historian/fan) for late 17th/early 18th century ships design. THAT is something that interests me and worth researching for a half-dozen years.

Edited by Tartan Jack

mine.jpg

Something like this is overkill considering its range is measured in miles but it is 22 inches. . .

What I would do if I were you is go by harbor freight pick up a wood lathe and some tools (under 300 possibly under 200) then pick up some simple 4X4s, and turn them yourself. You can make as many as you want.

FYI, when you finish you will have a bunch of legit quaker guns

id.jpg