My vehicle is gone....

So driving home this evening I was rear ended... But I am perfectly fine and unhurt...

But I was hit hard enough to rotate my vehicle 180 degrees so I ended up facing the vehicle that just hit me. I was stopped on the freeway as traffic had backed up trying to get off on an exit. The girl that hit me claims she swerved to miss a vehicle that cut her off in the next lane and hit me at close to freeway speeds... She had hit her breaks, but I only heard a half of second of squeeling tires before I was hit, so she probably didn't get slowed down much by her breaks before impact.

As a precaution the wife took me to the Chiropractic centre where she used to work (and her mom still works), the doctor there took some X-rays(just in case) and did an adjustment on me... I do apparently have mild whiplash, but I will be fine.

My minivan will likely be written off as there were bent bits of frame showing through the body damage... Just a mere two months before I finally paid it off.... :lol:

I'm strangely calm about it all. ;)

I'm also positive Insurance will cover me, and I will likely have a new vehicle of similar value as soon as that gets all sorted out.

Michael_banner.jpg

Glad to hear you're alright.

Don't take any flack from the insurance companies involved. Even if it's just a property damage claim and not a personal injury case, I advise you to see a good PI attorney at the first sign you will not be adequately compensated for your vehicle.

Also, bear in mind that not all symptoms of injury manifest immediately and things such as annular tears do not show up on x-rays.

Strangely calm=shock. Really.

Edited by Quartermaster James

Well Michaelsbagley, I am relieved that you are okay and in fine health. Fortunately, it sounds that you are not at fault.

Ah, améliorez loin pour vivre et mourir sous le pavillon noir courageux que je bats, que jouent un rôle sanctimonious, avec une tête de pirate et un coeur de pirate. Pour moi suis un roi de pirate ! Et il est, il est une chose glorieuse à être un roi de pirate !

Hmmm where was her cell phone? Sorry to hear about the car... go soak in a hot tub...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Hmmm where was her cell phone? Sorry to hear about the car... go soak in a hot tub...

Her cell phone was in her hand... Driver in her teens (or maybe early 20s), driving daddy's car... so I am also fairly certain that what you think caused the accident is in fact what cause the accident... Cell phone while driving.. :lol:

And I was definitely not at fault for the accident... The officer on the scene assured me of that.

Shock... I doubt it, but shock is one of those things that the sufferers thereof always seem to be in denial of. ;)

Michael_banner.jpg

If anyone is going to be in shock, it's going to be me. When I fist saw the scene, I nearly had a heart attack because all I saw were flashing lights from the emergency equipment. The car is likely totaled, but I still have my husband, so that is all I care about.

Sterling....the cell phone comment is the FIRST thing my dad said too (which by the way, I called him in a panic and he was concerned about Michael, so that means he's finally getting over his grumpy father of the bride deal...yay!), and I wouldn't be surprised if she was on her cell phone. Her car was destroyed.

Oddly enough, we were sitting in the van waiting on the tow truck and not 100 yards from us, a FedEx Truck hit a UPS truck...so I was called as a witness tonight from the police department.

Banner.jpg

Well thank God twasn't worse than it was... Um where is the engine in your car?

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

mickey , glad you are ok

the van can be replaced lad, you are another matter and we dont need lady jessica dragging yer raggedy candian arse back from hell just yet.... as to the cell phone, i do wish they would ban them everywhere whilst in a motor car.

best of luck, hope you feel as well in the morn

salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Which is up front... since he was struck from behind, the engine will still be in good shape, which in most cases will prompt your insurance company to want to fix your car... fight for all you can get from them like Quartermaster James says... and if they insist on repair, make sure you find a reputable body shop and then get rid of it... But then you most likely know all this

Crewe of the Archangel

Yeah, I've been in a couple of accidents like this, though not as bad.

The thing is, in looking at the car, the frame is broken in the back and crinkled all the way up the passenger side at least....to the point we couldn't get the passenger door open. So it might not be salvegable. If it is, it might be more money to fix than the van is worth, so who knows...The insurance dude is going to look at it tomorrow.

Banner.jpg

mickey , glad you are ok

the van can be replaced lad, you are another matter and we dont need lady jessica dragging yer raggedy candian arse back from hell just yet.... as to the cell phone, i do wish they would ban them everywhere whilst in a motor car.

best of luck, hope you feel as well in the morn

salty

When I was still living in Canada I was moderately politically active... One campaign I dedicated a bit of my time towards was lobbying for a ban on cell phone use in motor vehicles. I think at that time three or four Canadian provinces had implemented such laws (out of the 10 provinces and 3 territories)... And from driving to and from Toronto to Ohio to visit the wife when she was just my girlfriend I learned that New York State has such a law... I to wish more states and provinces would implement those laws.... Most of the area that have such laws will exempt those with hands free sets, so it is not infringing on the rights to use the cell phone, just encouraging safer practices while doing so.

I'm getting pretty hopeful for feeling good tomorrow... An early visit to a chiropractor, and a spousal unit that used to work for said chirpractor is getting me all the care I need, and keeping me following good practices to help prevent full st in of the whiplash. :lol:

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes!

Michael_banner.jpg

:lol: Wow, Michael, soooo glad you're okay. Good thing you drive a van, and not some little mini-car. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that nothing medical pops up later, when your adrenalen wears off!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Just got off the phone with Salty; glad you're alright lad ...yes vehicles can always be replaced but husbands and good friends are another matter. The heavens must have been smiling on you lad since you got to walk away from it... yes keep a eye out for those hidden signs of injury that will take a day or so to appear, and don't try the tough guy BS and just shrug it off ....I know, ten years on and I'm still walking with a stick from a slip on an icy sidewalk.

Take care ....and Kate, Strap him down if he shows signs of whiplash and don't let him ignore it!!! Slainte we'll see you soon!!!

Thank goodness you weren't severely hurt! But call a personal injury attorney TOMORROW! I know it's a bit distasteful in a way, but both your insurance company and that of the woman who hit you are in this for themselves, despite their fiduciary responsibilities. You need someone to make sure that your interests are taken into consideration. A good PI attorney isn't like the stereotypes. They know what's reasonable to expect in compensation, and won't try to make up pie in sky stories just to line their pockets.

I'm so glad you are alright, and your wonderful wife is taking good care of you!!!

Cars are dangerous... as are young girls on cellphones.

I got into an accident where I hit the guy in front of me. I drove a mini cooper and he was driving a suburban, both cars were totaled (his b/c of a bent frame) so don't stand for any crap from insurance.

Feel better, drink nice relaxing tea and have long bubblebaths!

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Michael, glad to hear you're unhurt. And that shock thing...give it a couple of days to wear off. Its nature's way of coping with sensory overload. If you are physically OK, the brain will catch up soon and you'll find yourself thinking, " Oh, sh#t!"

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

It could have been so much worse...

The fact that we are all here blathering about it WITH you and Kate makes it good news after all.

Your Car.... not so good news but it is just a car. I lost a good friend to a drunk driver and I would have so much rather she'd just lost the car.

(Huggage)

Glad yer safe mate. Glad fer all of us.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I'm glad to hear you're ok. Car accidents can just shake you to the core (or at least make you shake your fist at the insurance company!).

When I was hit by a dump truck on I-95 my old car was announced totaled. The car would still run and actually wasn't very torn up (it was a very tough Geo Prism <_< ) but the insurance company totaled it and wouldn't give me enough to buy another. So I wouldn't give them my car. I took the payout they gave me, took back my car and had a friend of the family patch it up. I still had problems from time to time but it ran for another two years after that.

Whoa Mickey...I am glad to hear you're okay. What a horrible thing to happen. I had a nasty accident with my mini van back in 2007, so I know what it's like. At first it's very surreal...until you see the damage up close.

Though I do not make it a habit, I can tell you if your 'frame' is bent...it is likely they will total the car. But more important...you are okay...your wife has you at home tonight...safe and sound.

It really didn't hit me (what could have truly happened to me) until I went to clean out my car at the impound lot. I stood looking at what was left of my Dodge mini-van and broke down and cried for about 1/2 hour. I walked away with a bruised elbow and knee. VERY blessed indeed.

Oh, and if you're wondering what I hit...I hit a BMW convertible. Yes, if you're going to do it...DO IT BIG!

I'm Happy that you doing okay.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Today, I'm still feeling good... A very minor bit of stiffness in the neck... But no real pain or discomfort, and I am still doign all the little things the wife and Chirporactor advised to help prevent any serious harm from from setting in.

Just got off the phone wil the other driver's insurance rep not too long ago... It seems there is credibility to the story where she was cut off. Apparently there is a witness... We'll see... I'm being cautious and guessing it might be a ploy to avoid liability... But time and the lawyers can work that out. <_<

Wow Cheeky, that is quite a story... While not as austentatious as a BMW, I was hit by an almost brand new Accord. There is almost nothing left of the Accord... I'm glad I was in my van, had I been driving my wife's civic, I might not have walked away from this.

We've already started the shopping for a vehicle... we are going to base our decision on the insurance settlement and what financing we can get in the current economic climate... but the lead choices (should we have a choice) are another minivan (I do so love me my minivans, although we are considering a Honda Odyssey over a Dodge Caravan this time) or perhaps a smaller SUV (like a Honda CRV)....

Again, thanks to everyone for the advise and well wishes.

Michael_banner.jpg

... but the lead choices (should we have a choice) are another minivan (I do so love me my minivans, although we are considering a Honda Odyssey over a Dodge Caravan this time) or perhaps a smaller SUV (like a Honda CRV)....

Again, thanks to everyone for the advise and well wishes.

Well....Captain Sterling had a Honda...enjoyed it very much - especially when it came to space.

I LOVE my Dodge caravan...it's come in handy ...and now can tow the smaller flat bed my husband purchased this past fall. Though, I have yet to tow ANYTHING with any van/car/truck we have owned.

Both are good...but consider the American car manufacturing climate....this can/will help you decide.

Glad you're not in too much pain...pop a few Advil.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"