Does anyone have any better pictures/more information?

Commodore Swab

Have you visited GOF's site yet?

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/handmortar.htm

Also, try a Google search for Flintlock Grenade Launcher and you'll find some interesting information: there's a discussion over at Armchair General from a few years back that still has URLs to viable photographs. Check out the brass cups that attach like bayonets from which to launch!

Edited by Quartermaster James

Hmmm the Rifle Shoppe doesn't seem to have a picture any more, but they have the bits and pieces for em

Hand mortars

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Wikipedia has an article as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_mortar

I particularly like this quote

A lack of surviving specimens of this firearm indicate that it was not a popular weapon, possibly due to the safety issues. In his essay on the weapon, Hewitt opines that the mortar is among a variety of "projects for destruction which have never destroyed anything but the fortunes of their inventors."[3] In fact, under military exhibitions in The Official Report of the Calcutta International Exhibition, 1883-84 a hand mortar is described as "only a toy ... never intended for service."[4]

ihtcbanner.jpg

The "boarders away" volume on firearms has a number of drawings and pics on these weapons. there are many different ways to do the same thing. Since these weapons are found in ship's inventories from the doglock era to the first half of the 1800 hundreds there must have been enough success to warrent further developement. As with the larger artillery versions, there was a problem with timing and fuses.With the ship's guns, most problems go overboard, not always the case with the hand held version.I have a nice bronze chambered type that I'm sizing to shoot tennis balls for some of the pesky plastic boats that present themselves as targets during the tall ship cannon battles.

the further away from Scotland ye roam, the more Scottish ye become

As I mentioned earlier, I am more interested in the lower picture. This does not appear to be a grenade launcher but more a hand held cannon/howitzer.

From what movie comes that picture? Are you sure you're not asking for documentation of a fantasy piece?

Not that I can offer any historical documentation for this, but I suppose a stock could be made for a swivel gun; I suppose the 4 bore elephant gun had to start somewhere...

Edited by Quartermaster James

As I mentioned earlier, I am more interested in the lower picture. This does not appear to be a grenade launcher but more a hand held cannon/howitzer.

From what movie comes that picture? Are you sure you're not asking for documentation of a fantasy piece?

Not that I can offer any historical documentation for this, but I suppose a stock could be made for a swivel gun; I suppose the 4 bore elephant gun had to start somewhere...

The pictures are from 'Cutthroat Island'. A great many of the props in that movie are non-functional items. Most were for sale a few years ago, and I had a chance to look them over. Many of the "firing" effects were simulated. You can't always rely on what you see in movies.....

what do you need? details man give me details.

Hmm how about a piece with about a 30 inch barrel, flintlock, no truniuns? How about another picture of that small grenade launcher, you know the one? I would love to see what the ram, trigger, stock look like and the one picture doesn't show them

id.jpg