Boat Plans

hitman

I've been looking for a long time to find plans for old style sailing boats in the 12' to 17' range. I love the lines of the boat Captian Jack made his entry on in P.O.C. but I dont know about the square riged sail. Was this a movie adaptation or did small boats of the time use the square rig as opposed to the lateen sail? Would this be harder to learn with as I am just beggining in the art of sail? And most importantly where can I get plans for such a boat? As to the question many of you must be asking (Why is this moron trying to build his FIRST SAIL BOAT? ) Even though it'll propably cost more this way I figure I can peice it out over time instead of makeing the big leap right away and besides how beter to know ones ship than to build it? Looking for all the help I can get and thanks to ye in advance mates :unsure:

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

It looked to me like a longboat that had been converted for coastal sea travel. Many trial records of pirate attacks describe similar vessels. For instance, in the trials of Jack Rackham, Anne Boney, and Mary Reed many of the attacks were made from or against "canoes." As to how to build one, I'm afraid I can't be of much help, but I think it would be a very interesting undertaking. I'm curious to see pictures of it once you've started work. Good luck.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

pyle_attack.jpg

Delaware Art Museum

Hitman, I envy you your ambition.

I think it unlikely that a boat your size of the period would have a square sail. A lug or sprit rig is more likely, or even a gaff rig.

Julius mentions canoes. I believe these would have been periauguas (pettiauger and various other spellings, i.e. pirogues.

These were log boats. They were what the buccaneers (among others) used in the Caribbean. While on the continent they tend to be associated with southern riverine traffic, they were in fact used throughout the colonies well into the 19th century, and persisted in some areas (particularly the Chesapeake right into the twentieth. The are Chesapeake log canoes still racing, I believe.

lg_pi0245logcanoerace.jpg

The last image is from the site of The Mariner's Museum in Norfolk News. If you go to the bottom of the page from which I took the image, you'll see a very interesting slide show of the construction of the hull from several logs:

http://www.mariner.org/chesapeakebay/water...man/wat002.html

Now, I'm not suggesting that you start cutting trees and hewing them to shape, though that would certainly be an interesting project.

There are plans out there, I think, for pirogues and similar craft using the stitch and glue method which I gather is relatively easy and less time-consuming than other methods.

Another type you might want to consider is something like the Maine peapod, which is basically a small shallop, and would be quite "period".

There's a group on the noquartergiven.net under Tallships that makes 15' boats, maybe you could look for inspiration?

Also consider getting sailors books. :) I've got a few that show rigging, etc. Old books are great also. If I see any good ones I'm usually getting them and I'll try and make scans. :)

:lol: "O.K., 'ere goes..In alla the woodenboat world, a few designers and builders stick out. A guy by the handle 'o Ian Oughred builds about the Kewl-est small wooden boats around. His stuff is the source of most keen little stuff in today's movies. He has many plans available. Found thru most any resource, Amazon to http://www.Woodenboat.com ;)

:lol:

Ah Royaliste and deacon I was wonderin when I'd find a post from the two a you here. As always the info you have provided is great and I'm looking into it now. I had tried looking on about.sailing.com ( got a copy of the american practical navigator( hows this for ambition I'm also trien to teach me self cel nav)) but couldn't find anything in the plans there that were what I wanted however there were some good looking vessels there so I would indeed recommend it. I thankee too Isabella and julius and dont let it be said I though a ya second cause it just ain't so.

Hitman, you might find the forums at the Wooden Boat site Royaliste recommends very helpful.

The magazine itself is great for classic boats.

In fact that little cat yawl on p. 67 of the current issue looks pretty interesting in terms of what you're looking for.

I'm going to have to pick up this issue--those brigantines are gorgeous.

I well remember reading the travels of the Johnson's in Yankee in the Geographic. They were a major influence on my young mind. The Irving and Exy look like they've captured the spirit.

What sort of waters are you planning to use the boat on?

Primarilly the local impoundment lake (at least for starters) I've been lookin through the sight and must agree with you course then if you wanna know about boats I quess you should always ask the man that lives aboard one B) (sorry mate ship ship a thousand apologies Royaliste)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also check out'

<"http://www.duckworksmagazine.com">

These guys are online designer/builders and I've found a wealth of info in the issues.

Z :)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

• 4 weeks later...

Quick updaye narrowing down the plans and cursing my budget. Damned purser and his 135 dollar a sheet okaume looks like I can build any of me choices for the price of the sails.

Ok the plans are finally on thier way. My choice wasn't a traditional looking craft in the way I had originally wanted but has all the other traits I needed and appears to fit my budget. I got the plans from Zorg's link. (thanks mate) Here's a link if you're curious to the actual boat

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/pla..._pram/index.htm

It's called piccup and is a pram. To me it looks like a john boat with a sail but hey I like john boats. The next question for those of you in the know would be about these poly tarp sails lots a stuff out there about em but what is the long and short of em mates. Heres a link for those as new to this as I.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/cha...y/polysails.htm